CD ripping quality. Some questions...
Nov 1, 2006 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Dead Ghost

100+ Head-Fier
How much does these options in EAC, affects a rip: accurate stream, disable cache and test and copy CRC?
What i'm interstead in, is what kind of sound anomalies (artefacts) can appear in a rip, when errors occur? Are we talking about pops\skips\clicks or more subtle artefacts like loss in detail, highs, lows, etc?

Also, does jitter affects ripping? Can someone explain me this in detail pls? I thought jitter does not occur when data is copied from a medium (cd) to another (hdd). Is this true?

I want to build a very good audiophile pc based system (pc-> external dac -> heaphones, speakers, etc). The pc is dead silent, the audio parts will be quite expensive, so the weakest link in the chain remains the audio source: lossless files (wav->flac). Some of my files in my music are not rips of my own, so i'm worried for their quality (to my ears they are fine now, but i'm afraid that, on a high-end audio system, i will tell the differences).

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
How much does these options in EAC, affects a rip: accurate stream, disable cache and test and copy CRC?
What i'm interstead in, is what kind of sound anomalies (artefacts) can appear in a rip, when errors occur? Are we talking about pops\skips\clicks or more subtle artefacts like loss in detail, highs, lows, etc?

Also, does jitter affects ripping? Can someone explain me this in detail pls? I thought jitter does not occur when data is copied from a medium (cd) to another (hdd). Is this true?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
I don't think this will be problematic when doing a rip to .wav. I don't know as much about the particular aspects you want to know about but I don't think it would be a problem.

I want to build a very good audiophile pc based system (pc-> external dac -> heaphones, speakers, etc). The pc is dead silent, the audio parts will be quite expensive, so the weakest link in the chain remains the audio source: lossless files (wav->flac). Some of my files in my music are not rips of my own, so i'm worried for their quality (to my ears they are fine now, but i'm afraid that, on a high-end audio system, i will tell the differences).

If your ears are fine with the result than it doesn't really matter. If you're mostly deaf then mp3's of the lowest quality are probably OK. In the end, your ears will tell, just wait and see if the ones you didn't rip are problematic.

I use Audiograbber to rip CD's to .wav which I then converted to FLAC to save up a bit of diskspace. Try it and see if your ears are pleased
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back