CD Ripping Clarification
Jun 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bflatfinesse

New Head-Fier
Hello, 
      After doing some research on this website, it seems like many people recommend using CD ripping programs such as EAC.  Until now, I have been using itunes to rip my CDs to AIFF format.  Does itunes not provide bit-perfect ripping? And will it make a difference to switch to a program like EAC?  Also, just as a note I use itunes as my main playback software with Audirvana.  

Thank you for the help.  

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 4
It probably wont make much of a difference. What determines bitperfect is what file format you use, and AIFF is lossless so it should be ripped as bitperfect if no read-errors occur. Itunes doesn't use AccurateRip  like EAC does, which checks for errors, so errors are more possible. If Itunes is more convinient for you, you probably wont notice a difference between it and EAC, so feel free to continue using Itunes. But if you want to be absolutely sure there are no errors, use EAC for AccurateRip and more options on what file format to use and encoding settings among other options.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 4
So most of the advantages come with ripping older CDs that may not be in the best condition right?  If I were ripping a brand new CD, there would be no possibilities of error?

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 4
  So most of the advantages come with ripping older CDs that may not be in the best condition right?  If I were ripping a brand new CD, there would be no possibilities of error?

It is still possible. The CD could have been damaged in shipping or in some other way, or the CD drive itself could have a problem from damage or movement, or your application or OS might hang for a second. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back