CD ripper such as Astell&Kern better than PC with ripping softwares?
Dec 14, 2015 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

c645

New Head-Fier
Sadly, I found few of my music CD had already deteriorated and some of my favorite tracks could not be played. I believe it's time for me to rip the CDs to FLAC in order to preserve the tracks. I am interested in the AK CD ripper because it is simple to use and the salesperson said the quality would be better than PC with ripping softwares. Well, I guess he might have bias to say it with his role. On the other hand, my PC is a very old one. Therefore, I would like to have an objective understanding of the ripping things. Thanks a lot.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I'll  start by saying I don't know anything about the A&K ripper.  But, I find it hard to believe it could be more thorough and accurate than a PC running EAC software.  EAC is free and as to the age of your PC, if you are running at least Windows XP, you should be fine.
EAC, properly set up, does one of the best jobs at controlling your PCs CD/DVD drive for the most accurate reads.  Then it compares the Checksum with what others who ripped the same CD got.  It will display the match numbers after the rip.
If you just want to do speedy rips and don't care about accuracy, there are plenty of programs to do that.  But if want as close to bit-accurate rips from your CDs, EAC is hard to beat.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 6
  I'll  start by saying I don't know anything about the A&K ripper.  But, I find it hard to believe it could be more thorough and accurate than a PC running EAC software.  EAC is free and as to the age of your PC, if you are running at least Windows XP, you should be fine.
EAC, properly set up, does one of the best jobs at controlling your PCs CD/DVD drive for the most accurate reads.  Then it compares the Checksum with what others who ripped the same CD got.  It will display the match numbers after the rip.
If you just want to do speedy rips and don't care about accuracy, there are plenty of programs to do that.  But if want as close to bit-accurate rips from your CDs, EAC is hard to beat.

Thanks for your reply.  Then let me try the EAC first and if it works for me, I can save the money of the AK CD ripper for other good stuffs.  
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 6
I received the Astell & kern CD Ripper today and as the players
it is a stunning looking and well build device.
Unfortunately it does not get beyond the point of collecting MTP.
There is not much that one can do wrong, when the player has the latest software,
so I am puzzled why it does not start ripping after searching for more than an hour.
I tried the unit with the AK120II and the AK240.
Wish Astell & Kern posted more information about these topics at their website.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 6
You should to try very userful bundle from soundaware, models D200 in pair with CD One Ripper. Study that items, also good set soundaware A280 + CD One Ripper

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back