CD Recorder
Oct 5, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #16 of 20
JMT-

Not that this topic hasn't been done to death already, but in addition to the bit-for-bit copy advantage of PC-based burning, there's another advantage. When duping CDs, I always use CDDB or FreeDB to add CD Text in the copies....so my copies are even better than my originals. It really helps with my 400 disc changer, so I don't have to type in hundreds of friggin' titles every time I reorg my CDs (and you can't get track info at all without CD Text on most jukeboxes).

-Nadim

Oct 5, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Hmm... how do you add CD Text when burning? I'd like to know too (since I have an Arcam with CD text...)

I think Nero has an option for this...correct me if i'm wrong. Look into Exact Audio Copy, that sucker has a lot of options in there too.

Oct 7, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #19 of 20
eric: ripping audio cds with clonecd is fine.. but there are better options, especially if you hate those stupid useless cd-extra tracks that most cds come with nowadays (like me). clonecd generally burns session-at-once or disc-at-once raw, and it adds those lovely pieces of **** along with them.

gloco was correct in suggesting exact audio copy. this program is a winner supreme and probably the best cd-burning program in the world (for audio cds anyway). go through all the options in it once. almost ALL cd-burners since 2000 have the ability to burn cd-text.. it's just that nobody uses it! i've used it since like 98 or something, but i'm a big dork. my rega planet reads cd-text and i love the ability. somewhere in the options in eac, you can turn on the drive's ability to READ cd-text and also turn on the ability to WRITE cd-text. this is great.. but what now?

let me now bestow upon you a wonderful fact about cuesheets: they rule. best thing to ever happen to cd-burning. rip the entire cd in eac (one huge .wav file) and it'll make a cuesheet along with it. open up this cuesheet with notepad and give it a look. it doesn't take a genius to tell what PERFORMER and TITLE means (i.e. cd-text). i suggest making eac see all the tracks before ripping the album, but that's just me. then open the Write CD dialog and load your fancy new cuesheet. you'll notice it shows all the track names in the little screen below. don't worry about it at all, just throw in a blank and toast that cookie.

and yes, nero can burn cd-text as well. you can even burn your cuesheets (Burn Image.. in nero) with nero and it'll read the cd-text from the cuesheet for you. OR if you do the audio cd wizard thing (utter crap) you can enter it manually there by right-clicking on the tracks. if you're burning mp3s, you'll find that nero generally burns cd-text automatically and reads id3 tags of the mp3s to do so.

anyway, it's late and i am insane. go burn some albums!

www.exactaudiocopy.de (USE SECURE MODE!!!!!!!!!!)

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #20 of 20
JMT:

I would add my voice to the chorus re) the CD burner. I sold my Pioneer 509 burner not too long ago, as I was not using it as I had intended. It's just not that flexible as compared to my CD burner.

I had originally purchased it to record albums onto CD's (please vinyl aficianados...don't hurt me!). However, I had a LOT of trouble with things like the record level. It was very twitchy.

In the mean time, I've acquired a sound card with digital coax in and out., and MSB Analog to Digital converter. I've hooked my turntable up to this system, and the recordings are very good.

I never used my CD Recorder to make copies of CD's, as it was always easier to do so on my computer with my burner. Once I had these other items, there was no need to keep the recorder.

That's my (long-winded) $.02 worth on the subject...boot the recorder, and buy the burner!!

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back