CD-R media reviews?
Jun 14, 2006 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I was looking for some reviews of CD-R media for use in a high end system. I've heard much debate over the Memorex vs Sony media. Most users tend to agree the memorex is a warmer, more full bodied sound while the Sony's seem a little more digital, but very detailed.

Which is the media of choice of head-fi'ers? Personally I just can't get enough of the way memorex discs play back in my deck, but I hear the Sony's will have a new layer of clearcoat that should help "smoothen" out the sound a bit. I frankly can't wait!

icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 30
If I was to be burning data to a CD-R, and I was concerned about the quality and durability of the disc, I would use Taiyo Yuden or MAM (Mitsui) Silver or Gold CD's. These two brands have excellent reputations for those looking to archive data on CD-R's. There may be other brands, and you may have different goals, but if you are going to take the trouble of burning data, I personally believe that you should use high quality materials, especially when the cost differential is not significant.

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
If I was to be burning data to a CD-R, and I was concerned about the quality and durability of the disc, I would use Taiyo Yuden or MAM (Mitsui) Silver or Gold CD's. These two brands have excellent reputations for those looking to archive data on CD-R's. There may be other brands, and you may have different goals, but if you are going to take the trouble of burning data, I personally believe that you should use high quality materials, especially when the cost differential is not significant.

Agreed, go with the Taiyo Yuden discs. They come in Fuji's spindles that are marked "Made in Japan" and have a translucent inner ring. I'm not sure but they might come in other branded spindles too - just check for the "Made in Japan."

Nice link for all things CD-R: http://www.cdrlabs.com

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 30
Agreed with what has been said so far about Taiyo Yuden or MAM (Mitsui) Silver or Gold CDs being excellent cdrs for storing audio or data. It's currently the only discs I use. They maybe a little more expenisive than the other brands out there but I don't mind paying extra for top quality blanks.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 30
I'm surprised there aren't any 'audiophile grade' CD-Rs available. With all of the other CD tweaks going around like CD mats and disc demagnitizers it would make sense for say a Japanese company to produce a high-grade CD-R with perfectly rounded edges.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 30
OK, if no one else wants to say it, I will. It is data, and in this case in its purest form, a data stream coming off a cd. If both disks have the same error rates, they will sound identical. They cannot shape the sound other than by creating errors which the player will try to correct.

On top of that, sony and memorex source their cds from different plants, and different manufacturing lines. Both companies also rebadge 3rd party disks with their packaging. The disks you are comparing may have come from the same manufacturing line.

Archival qualities are more of a consideration.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
I'm surprised there aren't any 'audiophile grade' CD-Rs available. With all of the other CD tweaks going around like CD mats and disc demagnitizers it would make sense for say a Japanese company to produce a high-grade CD-R with perfectly rounded edges.

I seem to recall recently reading an article about the improved sound quality of black CD-Rs. I think it might have been Stereophile. I can't find a link, though.

Jun 14, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 30
It has been mentioned before that the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab gold cdrs are similar to the gold cdrs made by Taiyo Yuden or actually re-badged gold cdrs made for MFSL. I own a 25 pack of MFSL gold cdrs and and a spindle of Taiyo Yuden gold cdrs, they both look and feel exactly alike.

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #12 of 30
redface.gif

I could swear everyone would see this as a joke. Yikes! There really could be audiophile grade CD's. *sigh*

lol

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 30
Taiyu Yuden

cdfreaks.com usually have lot sof in depth evaluations of media (and drives).

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 30
music on a cd is just data, its a bunch of 0s and 1s, it wont sound warmer on one disc over the other, IDK where that came from. check the media forums at videohelp.com, taiyo yuden is the one of if not the best dvd media you can buy, i'd bet their cd media is just as good.

Jun 16, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by photek
music on a cd is just data, its a bunch of 0s and 1s, it wont sound warmer on one disc over the other, IDK where that came from.

Error checking and correction and jitter characteristics. It's surprising how much data can be missed reading from a CD before an audible glitch occures. But CD read errors happen constantly in the background. Jitter induced from re-reading or ECC is the only audible difference. So the idea is to get the best media possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back