cd price question
May 21, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 7
The fact that the cost of new CD is about the same (believe it or not) as when they first came out 20yrs ago means that infaltion adjusted they are quite a bit cheaper today.

Most companies have more than one price tier already in place to sell CDs, usually reduced prices are for older Cds or remasters and re-releases of older CDs

May 25, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 7
there was a lawsuit settlement or verdict related to this that i read about in the past year, probably something about price-fixing, altho i don't recall exactly; anyway the news at the time said cd prices should go down--maybe it's taking longer than was previously predicted. In any case, i find it curious that the companies making most cd's are so worried about theft, when they. along with oil and tobacco companies, are among the biggest rip-off artists of all time, e.g., demanding that u buy something before u even know whether u want it, really. Capitalism is definitely a mixed bag.

May 28, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Supply and demand, my friend. The only reasons prices are so high is because we put up with it. Don't buy them at that price, and prices have to go down. Now that people have an alternative, the record executives are panicking. Their first response is, eliminate the competition. Once they realize that that's impossible, then prices should go down.

OTOH, consider us (U.S.) lucky -- in the UK, prices are 2ce what we pay here. They like music more over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back