CD Players in the sub 2K range Shanling and Arcam?
Feb 23, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 23
I wonder how much someone could spend on a source before they couldn't tell the difference between sources with headphones? I'm thinking above $2K and it would be extremely difficult.

Feb 24, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #18 of 23
Where can a person find the Arcam? I have been looking to upgrade my source from the cheap Sony I have.

I am also wondering if players over $2,000 are worth the extra money. Do many people notice a difference in detail after that $2,000 mark?

Feb 24, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 23
Well, I hope you were not the one who just bought up the 23T I was looking at on Audiogon
rolleyes.gif
I had emailed the guy about some information, he wrote back, and then a little later he wrote back again to tell me he sold it. He did even give me the chance to match the offer. Oh well. Anyway, how do people feel about the Krell KAV 300cd? used ones can be had sub 2k, and it seems like a real kick ass player. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Feb 24, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 23
Stuartr, I haven't heard the Krell, but I think I read somewhere a review (on Audioasylum?) mentioning that it doesn't play CD-Rs. I don't know if you care about this. I do - a lot, and I don't really understand why some players have this problem. The (much cheaper) Yamaha top-of-the-line CDX-993 doesn't play CD-Rs either, although lesser models do, and Yamaha produces both a CD recorder deck and some computer CD burners. And they claim they have a marketing department!

Feb 24, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #22 of 23
I second the recommendation for the XA777ES NEW from Oade for under $2000. I bought this player because I wanted SACD (I'm into classical and jazz, and felt SACD offered the best reproduction of acoustical instruments), but also because I refused to pay that much for a player and not get outstanding CD playback, as I have many older classical (especially) CDs.

I bought it on the reviews which said its CD playback was excellent, and indeed it is--word has it that the XA777 upsamples CD playback. I can't tell for certain whether this is true or not, but I CAN say that my CDs sound much better than I've ever heard them. The digititis is largely removed from all but the most poorly recorded CDs.

Of course, there are many other excellent choices out there for the money. I've heard the Arcams only with a speaker-based setup (not headphone-based), but what I heard I liked. I would really recommend that you consider what TOTAL system you intend to listen to with the player, including amp, speaker/headphone, etc. All players are different to some degree in their strengths and weaknesses, and all of this is HIGHLY dependent on your personal tastes in sound. As Vertigo said, do lots of research (which you're obviously doing in posting this thread), but be sure to seek out these players if possible and audition them live (listen!)

Good luck!

Feb 24, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #23 of 23
Thanks for the advice...yeah, I am trying to find all the different players to try to audition them...hopefully in my system. So far I have the arcam down, and from what I hear of the krell, it does not really fit my listening style. So that basically leaves the cary, creek, Sony and shanling. I don't think I will bother with the shanling, as I think it is a little gaudy for me, and the reviews I have heard are very mixed (some ecstatic, some awful). I would certainly give it a shot if I heard it, but I am not going to by it without hearing it. Anyway, I will let you all know what I decide on. Hopefully someone will bring one of these players to the SoCal meet this weekend....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back