CD Player
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JamesCanada

100+ Head-Fier
I have a solid collection of CD's at home and a bit fed up of streaming these days... for some wierd reason I wish to get back to my roots a bit.
I was wondering if I needed a special kind of CD player or just plug and play easy in the RME?
I feel I don't want to get a source with an amp and all, seems overkill considering the equipment I already own?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 13
Rip and streaming locally.

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Rip and streaming locally.
I actually want to use a CD player...
Would it not be good to do so for quality purposes?
I want to get away from my PC...

Thanks for the response

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 13
I actually want to use a CD player...
Would it not be good to do so for quality purposes?
I want to get away from my PC...

Thanks for the response
For sentimental reasons? If sound quality is your only concern than CDP makes no sense.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 13
I have a solid collection of CD's at home and a bit fed up of streaming these days... for some wierd reason I wish to get back to my roots a bit.
I was wondering if I needed a special kind of CD player or just plug and play easy in the RME?
I feel I don't want to get a source with an amp and all, seems overkill considering the equipment I already own?

Thanks

No you don't need anything special, even a cheap dvd player with coax or optical out will do but if you want something better than look at a dedicated CD transport like Cambridge CXC or Audiolab 6000CDT.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 13

Any transport that has digital out. I use a cheap SONY DVP-SR210P (small DVD player) in headless mode with my RME - works great!

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 13

Thanks
Audiolab CDT-6000. Transport only, excellent performance: reads CDs (Redbook only) flawlessly with exceptional detail retrieval, mechanically silent in operation, reliable.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 13
Any transport that has digital out. I use a cheap SONY DVP-SR210P (small DVD player) in headless mode with my RME - works great!
Great!, Thanks

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 13
Audiolab CDT-6000. Transport only, excellent performance: reads CDs (Redbook only) flawlessly with exceptional detail retrieval, mechanically silent in operation, reliable.
Solid, thank you!

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 13
My cave also has a huge disc collection. While I rip (using EAC) to FLAC and listen locally (on my different iDevices and ChromeOS), I understand the joy of spinning plastic.

Heck, I‘d even use my XBox console as a transport — as it can read CD, DVD, and Blueray (and pipe it to an external DAC). Audiolab’s a solid option. I do all my listening via headphone. The quieter the transport mechanism, the better! I’d avoid those multi-platter disc changers. Noisy & and my Yamaha unit’s mechanism failed. My 2 cents…

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 13
I just updated/upgraded the 75-ohm digital cable from CDT-6000 to DAC (Mojo Audio Mystique). All silver + PTFE construct:
EF6FE1F9-2F03-4389-AEEA-2D644C650299.jpeg
[🎼🙂🎵]

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 13
Am I seeing this right? BNC on one end and phono on the other? why would anyone sell this with the knowledge that the cable is not fit for square wave transmission? You would be better off with a $1 toslink TBH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back