CD player with Digital Inputs.
Sep 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stvn758

100+ Head-Fier
With the Cambridge Audio 840c gathering a great deal of interest on here lately I would like to know if there are any other CD players that offer the same features as it.

Being able to use it as a DAC mainly.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the Cambridge Audio 840c gathering a great deal of interest on here lately I would like to know if there are any other CD players that offer the same features as it.

I tried the Cambridge Audio 840 and 740c, (to use as a dac for my Squeezebox) - but ended up with the Quad 99 CDP-2. It's £50 ($100) more than the 840c here in the UK, about 1/3 of the size and has 2 digital inputs, which I use to connect my dvd recorder and Squeezebox. It's much smaller than the Cambridge players, in fact, I think it looks cheap... but it really doesn't sound cheap
tongue.gif

Quote:

From Stereophile: But it's more than a CD player. The addition of digital inputs and digital switching make it a fabulous addition to a system. Got an XM Radio tuner with digital out? The 99 CDP-2 will make it sound better. Got a DirecTV box with digital out? If you listen in two-channel mode (some of us do), you can make it sound a lot better through the 99 CDP-2. And if you have a DVD player with hi-rez PCM out, you can hear a whole new ballgame from the few hi-rez discs you can get your hands on. (No, I wouldn't buy anything just for this feature, but it's a pretty nice lagniappe.)

Stereophile: Quad 99 CDP-2 CD player

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks nice, thanks.

Actually, it has 3 digital inputs, but I'm only using two. Also, I accidentally used the variable inputs instead of the fixed inputs, and the volume took a big hit till I realised what I'd done. I remembered the Sterophile reviewer mentioning the same thing. I'm not sure what the variables are even for, so I don't really care
icon10.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A higher bid!

It's got 6 inputs. 3 Coaxial and 3 TOSLINK.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL!! Shows how much I know! I just know I'm using the fixed thingies
beyersmile.png

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 7
That's the main reason I haven't taken the plunge yet, I have two CD players with Toslink outputs and most standalone DACs have just one input. I don't like the idea of connecting them with a cheap plastic adaptor.

Having bought a Beresford I have heard just how much of an improvement an outboard DAC produces so now want a really good source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back