CD Player with built-in pre amp
Jan 15, 2007 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wirbeltier

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks!

Does anybody know some good CDP with a built-in pre-amp? I know of the Mark Levinson / Wadia stuff but those exceed my funds
plainface.gif
Anything else to recommend?

Thanks a lot!
Klaus

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 22
One of the Quad CD players have a line-in capability with source selection and volume control. If there a model 99 mk2 or something like that I think it might be it. I remember reading a quite favourable review a while back, but that could be 6mth-1yr ago.

..... actually click here to see more

Fran

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks!

Does anybody know some good CDP with a built-in pre-amp? I know of the Mark Levinson / Wadia stuff but those exceed my funds
plainface.gif

Thanks a lot!
Klaus

Actually, the none of the players mentioned so far actually has a "built-in preamp." They come with built-in digital or analogue attentuators only.

There are very few players/DAC's with an actual bona-fide active preamplifer section inside. I can think of Meitner DCC2 DAC, which has a true active preamp inside derived from Meitner's own Swichman preamp. The Monarchy M24 DAC has a real preamp section inside as well, but it is a rather simple preamp stage added to the OEM DAC stage.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the none of the players mentioned so far actually has a "built-in preamp." They come with built-in digital or analogue attentuators only.

There are very few players/DAC's with an actual bona-fide active preamplifer section inside. I can think of Meitner DCC2 DAC, which has a true active preamp inside derived from Meitner's own Swichman preamp. The Monarchy M24 DAC has a real preamp section inside as well, but it is a rather simple preamp stage added to the OEM DAC stage.

mmmmm, actually, the aforementioned Musical Fidelity CD Pre24 IS a full pre amp with analog inputs and analog volume control. Check description and specs here.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmmm, actually, the aforementioned Musical Fidelity CD Pre24 IS a full pre amp with analog inputs and analog volume control. Check description and specs here.

Oops, I didn't notice your post. Yes, CD Pre24 does have an active preamp in it.

To add to the list, Stello DP200 also has a preamp, so does Manley Labs WAVE DAC/Preamp. Also, Aurum Acoustics Integris CDP/Preamp...

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 22
I think that the Shanling t80 (and a10t) also has digital attenuation if all you're looking for is a source that has volume control. It doesn't have an active preamp though if that's what you're specifically after.

(it's a tube cdp also)

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif

true, except it is not a good CD player at all. quite harsh and fatiguing sound, typical of some MF products.

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by anubisgrau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true, except it is not a good CD player at all. quite harsh and fatiguing sound, typical of some MF products.

Not arguing, but one person's harsh and fatiguing is often another person's lively and up front.
icon10.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plainface.gif

Would you care to be a little more specific about funds available. At the moment we're looking at zero to BIG $.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you care to be a little more specific about funds available. At the moment we're looking at zero to BIG $.

Hi! Lets talk about appr. 2k then.....

Another option would be replacing my pre-amp with a passive one. Anyone experiences with that? It seems to me that this is a good option. One can get any CDP and has the pre-amp eliminated from the path.... Plus its less costly.

Best
Klaus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back