CD player with 1/4" output?
Feb 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nyka11day

New Head-Fier
Hey all -- I'm brand new to the forums and listening to music is a big hobby of mine. I thought I'd take my question to the pros!

I was wondering if any of you were aware of a CD player that has a 1/4" headphone jack built in. I have a good collection of CDs that I want to listen to but my headphones terminate in 1/4" plug. Love my headphones and for the sake of argument (I am aware there are cheap 1/4" to 3.55mm adaptors out there), am looking to plug them directly into the source. I'm looking to avoid extra equipment by having a CD player plugged into an amp if at all possible.

What do you guys think? Is there something out there like this? Or am I better off getting a CD player and an amp for best results? I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Thanks!
Ryan

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 5
I you go with an adaptor, then this is one that I like: http://www.gradolabs.com/page_accessories.php?item=af057189070b2cce5d99b942344ebf73 

Many CD players do have 1/4" outputs.  I haven't used a CD player for years (having switched to computer audio), but on the cheap end, look at the Onkyo: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-C-7030-Compact-Player-Black/dp/B004UR487A

Going for all the bells and whistles you might consider a universal player like the Oppo BDP-105: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Features.aspx  Something like this will handle CD, DVD, Blu Disk, SACD, DVD Audio, etc.  It looks like the headphone amp output is 1/4"... but you'd have to confirm before buying.  Expensive, so it may not be worth it if your input will be CD only.

A third approach is, of course, to buy a headphone amplifier and connect it to your current source.  So many options here, but take a look at the Schiit Audio offerings here: http://schiit.com/guides

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey flatmap, thanks for help! I have strong interest in the Onkyo player as I am thinking this may be exactly what I'm looking for. In regards to the Schiit amp, i am now thinking about plugging in two sources. I have a audio-technica AT-LP60 turntable and (hopefully soon) a CD player. What kind of possibilities are out there if I wanted them both plugged into the same amplifier? Optimally, I would love to have both systems plugged into an amp and then i can easily switch between them while using my headphones plugged in. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ryan

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the Onkyo C-7030 and really like it.  Nice build quality (it's heavy), sounds great, and it works.  And of course there's a 1/4 headphone connector with a volume knob right next to it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 5
  Hey flatmap, thanks for help! I have strong interest in the Onkyo player as I am thinking this may be exactly what I'm looking for. In regards to the Schiit amp, i am now thinking about plugging in two sources. I have a audio-technica AT-LP60 turntable and (hopefully soon) a CD player. What kind of possibilities are out there if I wanted them both plugged into the same amplifier? Optimally, I would love to have both systems plugged into an amp and then i can easily switch between them while using my headphones plugged in. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ryan

Will you have loudspeakers or is this a headphones-only rig?

For multiple inputs, generally you're in the market for a preamp or integrated amp.  It's also possible to by a "passive preamp" or a switching box.

Turntable is a great idea.  Do you already have a phono preamp?  In older equipment, a phono preamp would have been built in.  But it's not so common now.  Options are to buy a stand-alone phono preamp, look for a vintage receiver, or look for one of few modern brands that offer this as an option.

Have you set a budget?  You can see that this starts to add up!

Another thought: do you have any interest in assembling preamps, amps, etc. from a kit?  You can get a very affordable
rig this way and very satisfying.  Bottlehead or Hagerman are both companies that make well-received audio kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back