CD player transport issues
May 6, 2004 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ashish

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I had one question to ask everybody.
On reading various posts on various forums I am realizing that a lot of people owning different CD players ( with varying prices ) have faced/facing some or the other transport/reading issues. Even in my case , I have bought/seen so many CD-ROMs ( and they are so cheap too !! ) but never faced any transport issues. But I just bought my first standalone CD player ( NAD C542 ) and its giving transport issues.
I was just curious what's so special/different in a CD players transports that there so many issues around.Why are they so unreliable as compared to CD ROMs. The CD technology in general has been around so long now and why its so difficult to get a transport right and how are then CD ROMs are so reliable ?
Or is it that I am just the unlucky one . Or is it that even many people have faced problems with CD ROMs and this is a problem with even CD ROMS . So is it then a global problem ?

Hopefully can someone throw a light on this ?

Thanks.

May 6, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm not sure about an answer, but I do know that I've lsot several computer CD-ROMs, including one that went out on me just a few months ago. They're so cheap now I consider them disposible, although the $30 replacement cost is a pain, at least they're not $200 any more.

May 6, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't think CD-ROM's for computers are all that reliable. I throw them away after a couple years of hard use. As they get older, they just wear out - they get noisier and lose the ability to track well. CD-ROM's also spin much faster today. The typical cheap CD-ROM spins around 48x or faster and many of them cannot read slightly scratched or blemished CD's well at those speeds. Also, CD-ROM drives have been replaced with cheap $30 DVD-ROM drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back