cd player problem
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
My old cd player on my seperates hifi wont recognise any sond over track 8 on any cd.

I can leave the disc playing and when track 8 finishes it just stops playing and goes back to track 1 ready to start again, or if I use track selector I can go up until I hit track 9 and then it just resets back to the start.

It wont play or recognise anything above track 8

Any ideas as to the problem? Just a laser cleaning required or does it sound like something else?

Cheers

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't think just a laser cleaning will fix your problem. It may help, but the pickup is already clean enough to play tracks 1 - 8. The problem could be one of the following:
1. Is your cd player programmable? Could it have been accidentally programmed to only play tracks 1 -8?
2. Your pickup could be out of alignment. It can read tracks 1 - 8, but can't read the outer tracks.
3. Your transport could be sticking. When the pickup reaches a certain point, it can't freely travel further and returns to the starting point.
4. Your transport could be defective.

Does it stop playing after track 8 on every cd? If so, this makes me suspicious that it's either #1 above or a firmware problem in your cd player. If it's a hardware problem, it should sometimes skip, stop on track 7 or 9 or fail to even recognize some cd's.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 6
How old is your CD player? My Marantz first generation machine only has the facility to play a limited number of tracks but i think it's a couple more than 8 and if more it usually plays them all anyway whether they register or not although you can't always skip because it gets confused.

It could be transport issue though with something more modern. Get an air duster, open it up and give the mechanism a few puffs to blow out the cobwebs. It could have just seized up at a certain place on the track.

Another possibility is a logic problem. A lot of Philips based machines from a certain period had a function called Favourite Track Selection whereby the player will remember the programming for certain discs, once set up to, every time you play them.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 6
I lost this thread.

Issue still occurs, tried the laser cleaning but no improvement.

To answer above, this happens on every single disc I try, it plays fine through the album, gets to track 8 plays that and then just returns to the start as if the album only has 8 songs on there.

The player is 11 years old. It is part of my kenwood series 21 system, this was the very first hifi and indeed cd player I ever bought and at the time (ten years before I go into head-fi) was very expensive (for me) so would hate to see it go as I am quite attached to it really even if it isn't particularly well regarded ya know. Plus, its my only speaker system, and sometimes you just have to pop a cd on, crank the volume and let the neighbours hear what you're listening to.

I don't know what the best course of action is from this point. Obviously, finding head fi I am thinking a new cd player and speakers and amp but thats a lot of money which I don't have.

I just hate to lose the ability to play through speakers when the mood catches you.

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Doesn't sound good. I'd look for a used Marantz or Arcam CD player. There's a Marantz CD63SE on Audiogon for $195. Yes, the technology is old, but many prefer the Dac in this unit to more modern ones. The Arcam CD73 was a great model, too. Both have reliable transports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back