CD-player or computer as source
Oct 16, 2005 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pietenkees

New Head-Fier
hey guys,

Ill probably move out to go and live on my own in a few weeks.
In my new home i want a nice audio set-up.

Im pretty sure the speakers will be a pair of KEF`s iQ5. The amp will probably be a denon PMA-1500 MKII. Ill also add a tuner.

Now my real point of doubt is: should i add a cd-player? or just my pc with a dac or soundcard (its all in the same room), is so which? I know the pc is WAY easier to handle, i also have a fanless system so noise of the pc wont really be an issue. Im just wondering if the SQ of a well equipped pc will equal that of a cd-player, on which im not willing to spend more than $400.

thanks!

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pietenkees
Now my real point of doubt is: should i add a cd-player? or just my pc with a dac or soundcard (its all in the same room), is so which? I know the pc is WAY easier to handle, i also have a fanless system so noise of the pc wont really be an issue. Im just wondering if the SQ of a well equipped pc will equal that of a cd-player, on which im not willing to spend more than $400.

This is a matter of opinion of course, but... yes, I think the SQ of a well equipped PC can equal that of a CD player.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 10
agreed, with a decent soundcard of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 10
How about both? There are some nice CD/SACD players out there with digital inputs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Best cd players are alot better than anything you can get out of the computer.But thats the $$$ ones.But the best possible computer rig far surpasses $400 cd players.And for the same money on dac/soundcard,computer rig should prevail.

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
Best cd players are alot better than anything you can get out of the computer.But thats the $$$ ones.But the best possible computer rig far surpasses $400 cd players.And for the same money on dac/soundcard,computer rig should prevail.

I completely disagree with your 1st point and think it's the exact opposite.

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gongos
I completely disagree with your 1st point and think it's the exact opposite.

Interesting... are you saying you feel a ~$200 soundcard sounds better than a CD player costing into the 5-digit range?

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 10
I think there's a point where it's as good as it's going to get and you can achieve that with either device, I think. A 5-digit cd player must have a lot of plecebos built into it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Interesting... are you saying you feel a ~$200 soundcard sounds better than a CD player costing into the 5-digit range?

No, there are more options for computer audio than $200 soundcards. I'm saying a $950 Empirical Audio Off-Ramp teamed with a high quality DAC is better than any CD player. My setup is under $1600. I've experienced both and wouldn't trade my PC gear for any CDP--expect to maybe sell it for a profit.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back