CD player needed for critical listening room...
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TexasGrapeApe

New Head-Fier
First post here so be nice...
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking for a CD player...already pulled the plug on some monitors (went with Dynaudio BM12A's and have PreSonus Central Station)...budget is ~$1k-$1.5k for a CD player for two-channel listening...this is a dedicated listening room that is 10 x 14 and with acoustic treatments being added...

Arcam FMJ CD36 is what I see (and want apparently) but need a runner-up to meet the budget here...

Your thoughts please...

Jun 28, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 10
Carefully consider this option:

Instead of a CDP, buy a fairly basic transport - all it has to do is extract the ones and zeroes from the disc. Put the bulk of you money into the DAC, where the real magic takes place. I propose that a $1000 DAC with a $100 transport will outdo most $1100 CDP's. Also consider that the lifespan of the DAC is sooo much longer than that of the transport, so a cheap transport can be simply replaced like a set of brake shoes on a car. Don't have a $1500 (when new) CDP up and die on you like one did on me. Nowadays, I use a Toshiba DVD-Player [which no longer plays DVD's] as a transport, and an old Sony ES-series DAC. Sounds great. You will probably want something more modern. If you buy a DAC with variable output, you can eliminate the preamp, and have more pure sound. All else being equal, less circuitry = better sound.

Laz

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 10
How about the Jolida jd100a - tube output, solid build, musical, $900

Or, the CA Azur 840C - highly regarded, up-sampling, digital inputs, $13xx

Disclaimer: I have no actual listening experience with these models, only what i've read in many reviews.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrapeApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I can use the Pioneer Elite 47Ai that I have laying around and pick up the Benchmark DAC1 and go straight to the Dynaudio monitors?

Sounds like a killer setup for critical listening
smily_headphones1.gif

What preamp/amp will this be connected to?

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrapeApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I can use the Pioneer Elite 47Ai that I have laying around and pick up the Benchmark DAC1 and go straight to the Dynaudio monitors?

There's three camps on this subject...

1. DAC is the most important.
2. The transport is the most important.
3. They're both equally important.

Option 3 is the most logical (to me) but it's also the most expensive; if you're on a budget you unfortunately may have to make a choice between the two. Or you could buy used... CD players tend to go in and out of favor (with the exception of a few models) so you may be able to get a deal on someone who doesn't want last month's (very competent) flavor.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 10
there are some nice cdp's in your budget, but i also say go for a dac. btw i don't know why so many people here push the dac1, i think it's rather underperformer with too much hype. i figure it's because it's a more convenient route because it does everything. the sound quality is pretty mediocre.

if you must get a cdp, used cary cd-303/200 is damn good which also has digital inputs that you can use as a dac. look into a bel canto dac2, good resolution and does everything well. doesn't really have a signature so it's a nice starting point, you might even be content with it.

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Whoa, BM12As + DAC1 is frighteningly close to my current planned setup of BM15As + DAC1. Both have been on my short list for a few years now.

The Pioneer DV-47Ai should be a fair source on its own, since it's a more refined version of the DV-45A, which has Burr-Brown PCM1738 DACs. Still, the DAC1 should be a significant upgrade. If you insisted on a CD player, the Cambridge 840C is the best value in that price range from what I've read.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 10
Um, if you already have a Central Station, which has a very good DAC section, buy the least expensive DVD player you can find with real 24/96 output. Spend the rest on music (or gas)

-Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back