CD Player getting noisy--open it up or send it in?
Oct 9, 2008 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, all. My Linn Akurate is starting to make some noise; it's not noise through the headphones, but noise from the player itself. Normally, the player makes some noise when the CD is first inserted, but is pretty quiet the remainder of the time. Beginning the other day, the noise has continued the entire time. It's kind of a wobbly sound that I'm sure has something to do with the disc spinning.

I called the people I bought it from and they suggested bringing it in and they would ship it back to the manufacturer. I really don't want to do this if it's possible to avoid it, as I'm sure that means no CD player for a month or so.

My first instinct on anything like this is that it's the damned Southern California dust, and I should just pop the thing open and clean it out. Does it sound like I might be on to something, or is it likely that something else is causing it? How risky is cleaning it myself? I certainly don't want to do anything that is going to screw it up.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 10
If it is still under warranty from either the dealer or the manufacturer take it to them and let them fix it. If it's not under warranty go ahead and take the lid off and have a look.

Phill

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is still under warranty from either the dealer or the manufacturer take it to them and let them fix it. If it's not under warranty go ahead and take the lid off and have a look.

Phill

X2

That kind of noise is unacceptable in a new(?) high end CD player.

From your description it could be a simple clamp problem, I had a similar problem with a Rotel, Rotel fixed it for nothing despite it being out of warranty.

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

That kind of noise is unacceptable in a new(?) high end CD player.

From your description it could be a simple clamp problem, I had a similar problem with a Rotel, Rotel fixed it for nothing despite it being out of warranty.

It's not really new; it's around a year old. But, yes, it's certainly not something I'm going to sit back and try to forget about.

I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty, so I guess it's going back to the manufacturer.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it happens all the time and with different CDs, then definitely send it back - probably a transport issue.

You know, I haven't tried different CDs... I'll check this out when I go home. I just kind of stopped using it when this first happened.

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 10
Well, vcoheda may have saved me a lonely CD-less month... I put some different CDs in, and so far it hasn't made the noise. Maybe it was just a fluke and I became a typical audiphile and started freaking out. Time will tell.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the CD wasn't seated properly in the tray?

Phill

I threw five or six different CDs in today and they all did fine. Then I threw the one that originally gave me trouble back in, and the noise came back. After looking at the CD, I think the problem is a slightly off center hole.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 10
glad to hear it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back