CD player as source. is there REALLY a difference???
Mar 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #31 of 32
I've experienced big differences between different sources, both at the DAC and transport (CD or computer) level. As big a difference as changing speakers or headphones? It depends. The quality or lack thereof of the source is something that becomes more noticeable the better the components downstream from the source become. When everything downstream from the source is REALLY good, the changes can be VERY obvious, either as different 'flavors', or as in one is good and the other bad.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #32 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After spending a lot of time with a $500 Onkyo 7555 cd player that I loved dearly, and then listening to a bunch of $1500-$5000 cd players and settling on a Marantz SA-11S2, I can safely say that:

1) No two cd players sound the same. If you think they do, go back and listen some more.

2) Expensive machines usually - usually! - sound better (more detailed, more refined, more dynamic, better bass and bass definition) than cheaper ones. Larger power supplies, the design of the output stages, isolation and vibration control, transport design, and so on, all affect the quality of the sound and all cost $$$.

3) Mass market DVD players used as cd players sound like s***.

4) You need to "taste" cd players the way you would lollipops, and find your best "flavor" or sonic signature, because they are all uniquely voiced.

5) The $$$ required to get these last ounces of quality out of a cd player are, for the average person, probably not worth it!

That's why they're referred to as "average people." And I don't say that as a knock. I think that they probably are happier than those driven by perfectionism.

I also think that they probably aren't hanging around here...........
tongue.gif

Gregg, I noticed from your signature that you have the Ayre with the MP filter. Can we get some commentary from you on the affect of this filter on the sound of the player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back