cd player amplifier with dac
Jul 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

takeshibeat

New Head-Fier
i want to buy hifi components-cd player and cd player amplifier (i dont need speakers
since i will listen to music through that via headphones)
i wanted to ask you if there s a cd player amplifier which has a dac in it,
so when my cd player gets damaged or stops working that i can connect my laptop to this cd
player amplifier and get a great sound
that would be for me since i know that if i listen to music via dac that the soundcard from my laptop wont have any
influence on the sound quality
if that exists  someone give me an advice for buying which model

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 52
Did you have a budget?

Have you thought about burning your music CDs to FLAC files and storing them on the laptop.
Then get an external DAC & headphone amplifier to connect to the laptop.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 52
Quote:
so when my cd player gets damaged or stops working that i can connect my laptop to this cd

Cambridge 740C and up have SPDIF inputs to use the DAC. Other CDPs have USB inputs but they only take 320kbps through USB, but usually only storage media, not computers (you can use that for casual listening and save wear on the CD transport for when you're listening and not doing anything else).

Quote:
i want to buy hifi components-cd player and cd player amplifier (i dont need speakers

You mean a CDPlayer with a built-in headphone output? Marantz CD6003 and the newer versions have a USB input and a headphone driver with an analog volume knob on the front (that way you won't have to rely on the remote, especially since if you're using headphones you probably can reach the player with just your arm).

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 52
no i wrote wrong i have ment a stereo amplifier that has a headphone output
what combination would that be:
cd player -yamaha cd-s3000
+stereo amplifier -yamaha a-s3000
+headphones akg k-272hd

one more question i saw that there are cd players which have dac in it
(for example marantz cd 5004)
is it possible when that cd stops working that i connect my laptop to cd player ,cd player to stereo amplifier
and amplifier to headphones and get a great sound

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 52
Quote:
no i wrote wrong i have ment a stereo amplifier that has a headphone output

Oh alright; I got confused by "cd player amplifier."

Quote:
one more question i saw that there are cd players which have dac in it
(for example marantz cd 5004)
is it possible when that cd stops working that i connect my laptop to cd player ,cd player to stereo amplifier
and amplifier to headphones and get a great sound

It depends on what else you're using. For example, I've tried out a friend's HT system that has a Cambridge 750C with a couple of headphone amps and a speaker amp. I can't tell the difference between the CD transport in the player and using the SPDIF input.

Check on the specs on the CD5004. Some of the CDPs with USB inputs do not have a full-featured USB input DAC - some accept only media drives (baically it acts as the host device, not the computer) and/or only compressed formats, in which case you might notice some differences between popping the original disc in the transport and using whatever compressed format of it that the player can read.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 52
i think i will buy nuforce icon hdp dac and audio-tehnica ath-m50 headphones
can someone tell me what a combination that would be?

i have a technical question
if i buy a hifi system like marantz mcr 603 and listen to music via headphones on it
(lets say headphones that i wanna buy ath-m50)
lets say the cd player gets broken on it and i connect my laptop to marantz hifi audio in
and i start listen to music from laptop on my marantz hifi via headphones
will the sound from the hifi be the same as it was when i listened to music on 
the same hifi on cd player
ok it s very possible that the sound will be different
but will it be a big difference and will i note it?
can i still get a great sound from my hifi (connected with laptop)

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:
i think i will buy nuforce icon hdp dac and audio-tehnica ath-m50 headphones
can someone tell me what a combination that would be?

i have a technical question
if i buy a hifi system like Marantz mcr 603 and listen to music via headphones on it
(lets say headphones that i wanna buy ath-m50)
lets say the cd player gets broken on it and i connect my laptop to Marantz hi-fi audio in
and i start listen to music from laptop on my Marantz hi-fi via headphones
will the sound from the hifi be the same as it was when i listened to music on 
the same hifi on cd player
ok it s very possible that the sound will be different
but will it be a big difference and will i note it?
can i still get a great sound from my hi-fi (connected with laptop)

If you could connect the laptop to the Marantz using a digital connection, USB or S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), then you might get the same audio quality, as the CD player.

If you hooked up a really nice external ($600) DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) between the laptop and Marantz,
then you might (?) even better the Marantz's CD player (maybe?).

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 52
it was a tehnical question ,i was just interesting so if i have flac on foobar and connect my laptop to marantz hifi via optical cable
(it has optical aux in) so the sound would be the same like if i listened to the cd player on this hifi?
what if i connect the laptop to the hifi via analogue cable?

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:
It was a technical question, I was just interesting so if i have FLAC on foobar and connect my laptop to Marantz hi-fi via optical cable
(it has optical aux in) so the sound would be the same like if i listened to the CD player on this hifi?
what if i connect the laptop to the hifi via analogue cable?

I believe FLAC and audio CDs offer the same audio quality.
So running digital from the laptop to the Marantz would mean the digital signal from the CD player and the laptop would go thru the same DAC (or DAC chips) and amplifiers, inside the Marantz, so in theory, they should sound the same.

If you ran an analog connection out of your laptop, to anything, like to the Hi-Fi.
You would be using the laptop's very very low cost (50 cents?) DAC chip, to do the digital to analog conversion, of your audio.
I'm guessing the DAC chip in the Marantz cost many times more then the DAC chip in the laptop.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 52
does marantz mcr-603 have a dac in it?
i think i dont have a spdif output in my laptop(toshiba tecra s5-pts53e)
i have on the laptop the usb output
does an usb-spdif cable exist ?
is it possible to connect laptops usb output and hifi spdif input with one cabel
and so transfer music from laptop to hifi

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 52
that would be for me since i know that if i listen to music via dac that the soundcard from my laptop wont have any
influence on the sound quality
if that exists  someone give me an advice for buying which model

The Oppo BDP-105 is a universal player, including blu-ray and SACD. It has a USB DAC that you can connect your computer to, and it has a headphone jack. Exactly what you're looking for :)

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:
Does Marantz MCR-6003 have a DAC in it?
I think I don't have a s/pdif output in my laptop(Toshiba Tecra s5-pts53e)
I have on the laptop the USB output
Does an USB-s/pdif cable exist ?
is it possible to connect laptops USB output and hi-fi s/pdif input with one cable
and so transfer music from laptop to hi-fi

The Marantz MCR-6003 does come with a DAC built inside it (might be a good one too.....hey it's Marantz).
There are USB to S/PDIF converters (I'm not really knowledgeable about them).
Price for a USB to S/PDIF converters on eBay, starts at $28 (have no idea on how good they are).
And they should (best guess) work with both Marantz and Hi-Fi

Might think about just getting an external USB DAC, you connect the USB cable from computer to Ext. DAC,
then run an analog audio cable from the external DAC to the analog audio inputs on the Marantz.

An external DAC could be used with both Marantz & Hi-Fi and other devices with a USB Digital Audio output and also it would easily sell.

Schiit Modi USB DAC, $99.
ODAC USB DAC, $150.

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:
does marantz mcr-603 have a dac in it?
i think i dont have a spdif output in my laptop(toshiba tecra s5-pts53e)
i have on the laptop the usb output
does an usb-spdif cable exist ?
is it possible to connect laptops usb output and hifi spdif input with one cabel
and so transfer music from laptop to hifi

There is no such thing as a USB to SPDIF cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back