CD-Player + Amp vs. DAP
Jul 7, 2018 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

maira

500+ Head-Fier
I am wondering if there is a DAP that is close (or eben better) in SQ and Soundstage than a combination like Rega Apollo CD Player with an Amp like an old creek (using the headphone out) when using an IEM like Mee P1 or Brainwavz B400.

Another thing: If you have to spent maybe 500 for a DAP + IEM. Do i spend 400 on the DAP and 100 on the IEM or the other way around?

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 7
I am wondering if there is a DAP that is close (or eben better) in SQ and Soundstage than a combination like Rega Apollo CD Player with an Amp like an old creek (using the headphone out) when using an IEM like Mee P1 or Brainwavz B400.

From an objective standpoint, given the high output impedance on practically any integrated amp (and probably relatively high gain), even the Fiio X3 would likely be better.

Another thing: If you have to spent maybe 500 for a DAP + IEM. Do i spend 400 on the DAP and 100 on the IEM or the other way around?

If you're just looking at raw SQ then spend on the IEM.

However on some DAPs you get features that might be useful to you. Fiio X3 for example works really well as a desktop server with the DK1 dock, but then there's the X5III which also does that but runs full Android. That means you have access to streaming services, and software DSPs like the parametric EQ on Neutron Music Player, and it works on a touchscreen.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 7

I owned a Rega Apollo paired with a Creek Evolution driving some nice British speakers, Neat Motive 1s so I loved that signature. Really you are looking for a somewhat warm and never bright headphone or IEM (I know nothing about IEMs). I even had a really, really old school Creek tuner with the system. I miss that rig. I will tell you in all sincerity, I suspect my FiiO Q5 has the potential to reproduce the signal with just as good fidelity, if not even better fidelity than the Creek/Rega rig. It is more about what sound signature approach you are looking for, and once you know that, look to the headphone or IEM to deliver 95% of the perceived sound. Most properly done amps and DACs should get out of the way unless they have been deliberately coloured for effect, which undoubtedly some have been.

If you already have the headphones all you need to do is get whatever DAP, or amp/DAC that you like and listen to them. Compare it to the Creek/Rega rig and try to decide what is different. Then you can use the least possible equalization to mimic the target signature that you are after. Properly done equalization is not sound destructive, it can be if overdone, but really that might be one of the best approaches. The Sony ZX2 is an older DAP now, but it has a cult following that seem to feel it has a very special, analog and musical signature. Not sure if that might work, but the FiiO X5iii also sounds like it might be a candidate based on what I have read.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 7
I used to think CDP is better but I recently noticed that conventional CDP doent have EQer.
Latest nice cool DAPs tend to have very good EQer.
EQer is must for me since there is no perfect headphone for everyone/tracks.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 7

As with most things in this hobby, the answer is "it depends". Some old CD players come with a fantastic R2R DAC. Some new ones come with a crap one (or are just a transport so have no DAC, in which case you're depending on the DAC in your stereo/AVR). Regarding the old amp, a lot of the vintage ones have amazing headphone outs and a lot of the new ones use a separate opamp. So the whole combo of CD player and amp can vary widely in quality.

A good DAP can outperform a bad CDP/AVR combo for sure. Especially with IEM's thanks to impedance matching (as stated above). And good DAP's aren't always the most expensive one. I've found that Fiio and Cayin both make some really great sounding, full featured DAP's in the "very cheap" price range.

At the risk of repeating what's already been said, I'll agree that DAP's can offer a lot of really useful features beyond just sound quality (like being able to be used as a DAC/Amp from your computer or having a digital or line level output so you can run it into your Amp for driving speakers or bigger headphones or whatever). I also agree that for pure SQ, spend more on the IEM's but that might not be the best way to spend the money in light of what I mentioned above.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your answers. It was interesting to read. At the moment i have a Pono Player and use it with a Fidue A73 (SE mode) It sounds good, but it is not what i am after.

I m thinking of buying the Brainwavz B400 (and maybe the Shanling M0) but i have to order online and I am unshure.

Any ideas which combination will suit me? (I was only able to listen to Sony DAPs at the stores and didnt like the Sound sig at all.) I think A&K is also not my cup of Tea ... .

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for your answers. It was interesting to read. At the moment i have a Pono Player and use it with a Fidue A73 (SE mode) It sounds good, but it is not what i am after.

I m thinking of buying the Brainwavz B400 (and maybe the Shanling M0) but i have to order online and I am unshure.

Any ideas which combination will suit me? (I was only able to listen to Sony DAPs at the stores and didnt like the Sound sig at all.) I think A&K is also not my cup of Tea ... .

Haven't heard those so I can't make specific suggestions from those IEMs but you could help others get some kind of an idea if you provide what speakers (or headphones) you tend to like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back