CD Player & Amp Recommendation
Apr 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Baby Dave

New Head-Fier
[size=small]Ok, first things first, hello to one and all. I’m new to the forum but have been using it as a source of information. It’s refreshing to get view and opinions from people who have experience with the products rather than Saturday staff trying to squeeze my hard-earned cash out of me![/size]
[size=small]Before I subject you all to my stupid questions, I will warn you all, that my line of thinking is often restricted by my own stubbiness. Apologies in advance for prioritising the ridiculous ahead of the important.[/size]
[size=small]I’m looking to create a simply setup for just listening to CDs through a set of headphones. That’s all I want and will have a need for. No speakers, no receiver, no ipod dock. I’m going ol’school and just want to start collecting CDs again, of great albums, from scratch.[/size]
[size=small]So I was thinking that I need a CD player (stating the obvious!), an amp or headphone amp and a set of headphones.[/size]
[size=small]Here come all those limitations that I spoke about.[/size]
[size=small]Money: Probably looking at £500-600 all in.[/size]
[size=small]Looks: I do not want a shiny piece of kit that screams “look at me”, simple and understated is ideal.[/size]
[size=small]Cohesion:  Any visible kit I would like to match or at least look appropriate next to each other.[/size]
[size=small]The chances are I’m now asking for the impossible.[/size]
[size=small]I have my heart set on a pair of Grado SR80i and hope they will do the job for Rock, Electronic and Soul.[/size]
[size=small]Can anyone suggest a CD player and Amp set up that can maximise these headphones with the remaining £400-500?[/size]
[size=small]Any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated.[/size]
[size=small]BD [/size]

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 9
[size=small]Ok, first things first, hello to one and all. I’m new to the forum but have been using it as a source of information. It’s refreshing to get view and opinions from people who have experience with the products rather than Saturday staff trying to squeeze my hard-earned cash out of me![/size]
[size=small]Before I subject you all to my stupid questions, I will warn you all, that my line of thinking is often restricted by my own stubbiness. Apologies in advance for prioritising the ridiculous ahead of the important.[/size]
[size=small]I’m looking to create a simply setup for just listening to CDs through a set of headphones. That’s all I want and will have a need for. No speakers, no receiver, no ipod dock. I’m going ol’school and just want to start collecting CDs again, of great albums, from scratch.[/size]
[size=small]So I was thinking that I need a CD player (stating the obvious!), an amp or headphone amp and a set of headphones.[/size]
[size=small]Here come all those limitations that I spoke about.[/size]
[size=small]Money: Probably looking at £500-600 all in.[/size]
[size=small]Looks: I do not want a shiny piece of kit that screams “look at me”, simple and understated is ideal.[/size]
[size=small]Cohesion:  Any visible kit I would like to match or at least look appropriate next to each other.[/size]
[size=small]The chances are I’m now asking for the impossible.[/size]
[size=small]I have my heart set on a pair of Grado SR80i and hope they will do the job for Rock, Electronic and Soul.[/size]
[size=small]Can anyone suggest a CD player and Amp set up that can maximise these headphones with the remaining £400-500?[/size]
[size=small]Any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated.[/size]
[size=small]BD [/size]

One warning with Grados. They'll shine for Rock, and sound great for Soul, but they're not up to snuff with Electronic music. They just don't produce the amount of bass most Electronic music needs to sound great.

Now, you have a few options here. You could get an analog CD player and go straight through an amp if you'd like.

You other option is getting a Digital CD player, a DAC, and an Amp (or a DAC/Amp combo). This will give you more expansion options later on if you break away from CDs. Then again, you could do the first option and just stick a DAC in later if you branch out. It's all up to you.

Now, do you have space resirictions? Shanling PC300A is a nice low profile CD player that would match the Grado's black metal look. Amp wise I'm not too sure what the best way to go would be to get the looks you want, and some good sound too (I'm not a Grado guy, although I think they're sexy beasts). There are some options that match your wants, but none immediately pop into my head right now and I'm not sure which of those pair well with Grados.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi and prepare to empty your wallet... 

A simple and reliable CD-player does not have to be expensive. A quality CD-player/transport though can already cost you more than 200 Pounds. A good headphone amplifier depends on the headphone, if both are a match you are good.

Headphones, well try some and then get the one you like the most.   

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 9
You can shave a few dozen pounds off the headphones by getting the Alessandro MS-1, manufactured by Grado, purportedly on the SR-125 base. Free shipping to the UK, no distributor uplift. More for the player and amp. Check some of the reviews in the full-size headphone forum.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

- Ed

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 9
[size=small]Thanks for all the responses and for not flaming me for have inappropriate priorities.[/size]
[size=small]I guess I’m not too concerned with the Headphones visibly matching the other components, as I think the retro-Grado-look goes well with everything. But I would like some CD / Amp combo to match. Is there a single brand that would suit both for my budget?[/size]
[size=small]Now a nice retro-looking wooden cased piece of kit would definitely tick the box![/size]
[size=small]I like the look of the Shanling, but must admit I have not heard of them. I’ll see what the forum and Google can educate me with.[/size]
[size=small]I do like the idea of a small foot-print set up or something retro looking. Are there any opinions on the latest Pro-ject kit? Maybe the CD / DAC / HP amp setup?[/size]
[size=small]What are the general thoughts on using a single CD unit that has a HP out? Is the HP circuitry general inferior even if the CD element is of good quality? Are there parts of this forum or other sites that compare the quality of the HP out on these units? Could blowing all the cash (£500) on a single CD unit be a consideration?[/size]
[size=small]What is the difference between the Alessandro MS-1 and the SR125?[/size]
[size=small]Thanks for all your time and input.[/size]
[size=small]BD[/size]

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 9
The headphone out of a CD-player can be very good but a separate headphone amplifier can make a big difference. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 9
baby dude,

it's soooo simple.
just buy a revox b225 and b285
it has alot of studer components in it, a better bang for the buck you won't get.
unless you want to go pro..

so, revox and that's it
if you want also vinyl, buy an emt 930 or 950 and never look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back