CD only or CD/High Rez?
Sep 15, 2003 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Hiker

500+ Head-Fier
Right now I am really, REALLY fed up. I cannot decide whether or not I should get into the SACD, DVD-A market right now or just get a stand alone cd player with better redbook playback. Two models that I am looking at right now are the Denon 2900 and the Rega Planet 2000. I would imagine that redbook on the Rega is clearly superior than that of the Denon (although I could be wrong). Currently my entire collection is redbook and with SACDs going for around $30, I really can't afford to upgrade my collection. I would probably end up getting some high rez discs, but I still have this large collection of redbook cds that I don't want to neglect with a source that is focused more on the high rez formats. If you have any other sources to suggest as well that would help. My budget is around $500. This is clearly below the list prices of both sources I mentioned here, so I would have to get them either used of factory refurbished. Thanks!

EDIT: Im gonna throw in the NAD 541 or 542 for consideration too in case I intend to go a little cheaper.

Hiker

Sep 15, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 22
everything you want to know is in this link from the other day:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=44927

BTW- Do you have a multichannel capable receiver? Otherwise going SACD/DVD-A is a moot point!

...and...SACD's are just as expensive as CD's (not $30)...From $14.95 to $24.95 depending on company.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 22
I say get a redbook player. Your entire collection is CD, so get something that will make your collection sound good! Many of the SACD players don't play redbook well and even the Sony SCD-1, which had really nice redbook performance, wasn't as good as the Arcam CD 23 I bought used for way less the Sony.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 22
For $500 I think you should gamble on the DI/O. If your current sony is unsatisfactory as a transport, then a used Sony SACD player. I hate the redbook off my (modified) Sony SCD-CE775, but SACD is nifty. I haven't tried the DI/O but its longevity -- going well past the product of the month hype -- has me strongly considering one. So, if you buy one, please let us know your results
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 22
Look for a used Sony 9000es on audiogon. It's (2 channel) SACD DVD-V and redbook playback, IMHFO, kick ass. Can be found for about $700 on Audiogon.

Quote:

Do you have a multichannel capable receiver? Otherwise going SACD/DVD-A is a moot point!

The benefits to SACD are far beyond multichannel. In fact, I have two SACD players, my Sony for better than two years, and with nearly 60 titles I haven't even heard multichannel playback. (yet)

Happy hunting.

Sep 15, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 22
Hold off on high rez. There is a thread that talks about Sony announcing SACD v2 format. If that's not just a rumor, then there is a good chance that you won't be able to play v2 disks on any current players.

I think that a GOOD CD player or a GOOD DAC can really give the high rez formats a run for the money unless you're paying the stratospheric amounts for a high rez player. If your budget is $500, get the Rega 2000 on the used market. It's a sweet player and you won't have any concerns regarding compatibility, availability and cost of the media.

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 22
It looks as if I might be going for the Rega. I am currently searching for a used model. Are there any other models I should consider at this point?

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

There is a thread that talks about Sony announcing SACD v2 format

bifcake...
I have searched Head-fi and the Internet, and I can't find any thing about V2. Do you have any links?

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Hold off on high rez. There is a thread that talks about Sony announcing SACD v2 format. If that's not just a rumor, then there is a good chance that you won't be able to play v2 disks on any current players.

Total speculation! I totally disagree, there is NO evidence of the existence of SACD 2 let alone any idea about potential compatibility issues.
Quote:

I have searched Head-fi and the Internet, and I can't find any thing about V2. Do you have any links?

That's because it's all just a rumor that started over at audioasylum.
rolleyes.gif
Click here for Head-Fi discussion, but take with a grain of salt all the hand-wringing and "sky is falling". I freaked at first too, but when I thought about it, I realized it's no big deal. http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=sacd+ii

Mark

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 22
Hiker,
If you can stretch your budget to around $1200-$1300, you can get a 555ES Hot Rod. This a 5-disc CD/SACDP that sounds completely fantastic on Redbook:
(http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/show...highlight=555es) and have Matt at sacdmods do his thing. It may take a little doing to hunt down a 555ES, but it can be done. this $1600 player now goes for around $700. With the mods, you are looking at around $1300-$1400 max. sacdlover and Nightfall and Bluesaint also have this player and all are very pleased. Nightfall's 555ES Hot Rod was received very well at a recent Head-Fi meet, stacking up very nicely to Ray Samuels own (more expensive) Meridian player (even by his own admission
biggrin.gif
). You can see here for more reactions from the meet:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/show...highlight=555es

Mark

Sep 15, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 22
Mark
I really wish I could strech my budget that much, but as a poor college student, I can't. I need to get a decent amp at the same time. I was thinking that in the mean time, I could always pick up a Pioneer 563 for high-rez playback to complement the Rega as a temporary solution until I can afford a good universal player. But now that I think about it, I wonder how the Pioneer with an Art DI/O would sound compared to the Rega.

Hiker

Sep 15, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hiker,
If you can stretch your budget to around $1200-$1300, you can get a 555ES Hot Rod. This a 5-disc CD/SACDP that sounds completely fantastic on Redbook:
(http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/show...highlight=555es) and have Matt at sacdmods do his thing. It may take a little doing to hunt down a 555ES, but it can be done. this $1600 player now goes for around $700. With the mods, you are looking at around $1300-$1400 max. sacdlover and Nightfall and Bluesaint also have this player and all are very pleased. Nightfall's 555ES Hot Rod was received very well at a recent Head-Fi meet, stacking up very nicely to Ray Samuels own (more expensive) Meridian player (even by his own admission
biggrin.gif
). You can see here for more reactions from the meet:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/show...highlight=555es

Mark

Well for that kind of moolah, you can get a really nice sacd-stereo player from Sharp on Ebay. It includes the full manufacturers warranty (Not the least because Sharp sells it direct). IT has been reputed to have excellent redbook and sacd playback capability and used to retail for GBP2799 (USD 3699).

Sep 15, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

I really wish I could strech my budget that much, but as a poor college student, I can't.

Doh! For some reason, I thought I read you had a budget of $1000, but I got you confused with another poster. Yeah, I can see how my suggestion is a little left-field! Sorry!
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 22
Hi Hiker!

Have you totally eliminated the Denon DVD 2900? I got mine from http://www.ecost.com for $513 USD refurbished. I called them and they told me they will receive more stock by the end of this month! Please go to their website and call their toll free number for yourself. You still get the one year limited warranty with the refurbished model. As you might have guessed by now, I am trying to sell you on a darn good source component available for nearly half off the MSRP price by the end of this month. No, I do not work for ecost!

Remember, it came to my home on September 3rd, 2003 and I have been burning it in for all that time.

I know that you asked me some questions about my Denon DVD 2900 regarding its Redbook CD playback characteristics. So, I will get to it. I would describe the Redbook CD characteristics, as compared to my previous NAD C 541i HDCD player, as being much more detailed, neutral, and tonally balanced. I can hear more delicate sounds that escaped my attention on any Redbook CD in my paltry collection. It is like listening down a level into the disc itself. There is a more neutral, honest, and truthful presentation of music. No bloated bass; bass notes extend down more by one half an octave and they are just as punchy or tight as the NAD C 541i. Furthermore, I can actually hear the difference between deep bass and mid-bass. It is there if the recording permits. Across my audible frequency spectrum, I must say that the Denon presents tones in a more balanced and coherent manner. It does not try to wow you; it tries to reproduce the music honestly and truthfully. And the "bad?" The soundstage is a bit more condensed than with the NAD. I can say that the field of hearing is about 120 - 130 degrees wheras with the NAD, the soundstage was very much wider. Mid-range response has bloomed to my surprise and I think it is more fair and accurate than with my NAD. Highs are sparkling: clear, clean, focused, and just well...pristine. Again, the transition between bass, mids, and treble is more accurate to my ears. My demand for emotion and intimacy in sound reproduction have not been totally dismissed with the Denon DVD 2900. Whearas the NAD C 541i HDCD demande that I turn up the volume to braindead volumes and increase my risk for tinnitus exponentially, the Denon commands me to turn down the volume and really hear the music for the sake of music and not for the added noise factor.

And this is just with Redbook CDs...

The Denon DVD 2900 plays DVD-Video playback, SACD, and DVD-Audio playback. Let me tell you my weakness: I am no videophile. I too am a full time undergraduate student who will graduate in May 2004 with a BA. I can not afford to be both an audiophile and a videophile because I haven't worked hard enough on my dual career tracks yet. Money comes but it does not rain down from the heavens above upon my head. DVD-Video is ****ing stunning to my eyes and more importantly to my ears. I can see stuff on my very very limited collection of DVD-Videos that I did not know that Hollywood film makers could put on screen. I can hear fine nuances in actors' voices and the soundtrack on films. In fact, it is very film-like. Bad word choice, yes, but you get the brutal honest truth from Welly Wu!

SACD and DVD-Audio must be auditioned! SACD and DVD-Audio sound so convincingly natural, effortless, and free to my ears. It is like these enormously talented musicians are in my head. The resolution is just incredible and breathtaking. Music sounds not like it is coming off of some five inch disc but from the push and pull of Midori's bow on her very expensive violin. When McDonald pushes a key on his grand piano, I hear the entire sequence in one note: fingers on the key, the force of the push downwards, the little striker hitting the finely tuned and conditioned piano string, and the sound vibrating from the piano chassis. I am not kidding but I do have to say that I must give of music 110 percent of my undivided attention and focus. I just wish I could do it for longer than 30 minutes at a time. The Beach Boys' quintet of voices are all distinctly separated from one another but the feeling I feel when they sing together and are one voice of many is just stunning. The sense of space inside their recording studio is audible. I can not get enough of high resolution be it SACD or DVD-Audio. I only have one DVD-Audio disc and one SACD disc. With my refurbished Denon DVD 2900, I do not have to pick one over the other.

Then, it is cool to be able to make my own MP3 CD-Rs and playback like 10 - 12 hours worth of music, my music, without changing that original disc for another. Oh, the wonders of EAC and LAME MP3 and Ahead NERO! It is truly a convenience accesible to many. I just want a Plextor PX-708UF dual format DVD burner to backup my laptop data (a must), and backup my Redbook CDs & HDCDs on EAC/LAME MP3 DVD-Rs.

I hope this sways your mind and heart. Do not discount the Denon DVD 2900.

Sep 16, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 22
Hi Welly

I see you really like your 2900. This was the front runner in my search for a good source a couple of weeks ago until I considered the fact that redbook performance is going to be much more important to me than high-rez. Also, I hadn't seen all that many reviews or comments on this player's redbook playback . . . until now at least. If you truly think that the 2900s playback is better than the NAD 541 (another possible player I am considering), then I will look into the 2900 more. I would much rather have a source that can handle more than just redbook as the Rega does. That is why the 2900 is so intriguing. Having multiple sources at this point is out of the question considering my limited budget . . . unless I sacrifice quality.

Your review has sparked new hope for me. I was actually looking at ecost earlier this week and saw that they have the lowest price around for a factory-refurbished 2900. I have never dealt with them before, so do they have good service? Also, what amp are you using with your Denon?

Right now it looks like there is a tie betweek the Rega and the Denon. I would really like the convience and extra features of the 2900, but I will look around a little more before I commit.

Hiker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back