CD changers
Jan 3, 2006 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nm2285

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone had any experience with the Yamaha CDC-585? I picked that because 1) price 2) good reviews and 3) quiet (unusual for a changer). I haven't hooked it up yet, cause my system is disembelled for the next few days. I'll be using the analog outputs and was hoping someone could comment on the internal DACs.

Also, other recommendations in the $150 to $200 price range are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Jan 3, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nm2285
Anyone had any experience with the Yamaha CDC-585? I picked that because 1) price 2) good reviews and 3) quiet (unusual for a changer). I haven't hooked it up yet, cause my system is disembelled for the next few days. I'll be using the analog outputs and was hoping someone could comment on the internal DACs.

Also, other recommendations in the $150 to $200 price range are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

I owned a 685 - basically the same unit but with a few minor extras such as variable output, retails at about $190 - I got mine from eBay for $60 used. I found it very quiet once the disk had spun up and I sit 2 feet away from my player so any extraneous noise is very noticeable. Sound quality wise it was surprisingly good. I compared it against my older but *much* more expensive Rotel RCC940AX changer and it was pretty much on a par with it. I sold it as I do not need 3 changers.

My other changer is a Marantz CC4300 which goes for about $150 refurbished on eBay or $240 new, this is also a surprisingly nice changer, if you buy one of these *make sure* you get a warranty as they can have some reliability issues - my first one had to be sent back. I play mine through an Mcubed amp and Senn 580s and I have to say it is a pretty nice sound, good enough for me to enjoy Das Rheingold with
biggrin.gif

Good Luck

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 6
I believe I read your post on audioreview.com for the 685! It was definately helpful in my decision making because the two units I was considering were the yamaha and the marantz. How does the yamaha compare directly to the marantz? I've read the marantz is a bit noisy (the changer mechanism). Is this true? I love how quiet and solid the yamaha's drawer and changer are.

I bought the 585 because I didn't need the extra features. As for sound quality, they seem the same. Does anyone know for sure?

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

I believe I read your post on audioreview.com for the 685! It was definately helpful in my decision making because the two units I was considering were the yamaha and the marantz. How does the yamaha compare directly to the marantz? I've read the marantz is a bit noisy (the changer mechanism). Is this true? I love how quiet and solid the yamaha's drawer and changer are.

Um, yes the changer mech on the Marantz is a bit noisy when changing discs. As for sound quality I did not really spend much time comparing the Marantz and the Yamaha but I felt that the Yamaha was perhaps a tiny bit better, but not enough to care about and I would stake my life on that conclusion, both can be a tiny bit harsh as befits really modest players. But in the context of a couple of $200 changers it would be really picky to complain.

Jan 3, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Just wanted to check...you use the analog outs and the internal dac?

thanks for the help!

Yep, I used the analog outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back