CD carrying case
Dec 28, 2001 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gusmahler

New Head-Fier
I'm just wondering what is considered the best brand for carrying CDs around. I am getting quite a collection of burned CD-Rs and I would like to know what is the best way to store them and also what is the best way to carry around discs for listening when you are out and about.

I have a CD Projects case and it seems to do a pretty good job. however, I just got it and I am wondering if anyone with long-term exposure to these (and other brands) have any experience with scratched CDs attributable to the case.

Dec 29, 2001 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 7
I've had very bad experiences with Case Logic and CD Projects cases. Invariably, CDs that were placed in those cases had numerous scratches on them, while CDs that were kept in their jewel cases were scratch-free.

One brand I've had a lot of luck with is DiscGear. I've used mine for over 6 months, and not a single CD has been scratched by it. Though it is expensive, it's totally worth it for me. Its internal CD dividers are made from a very soft material, and when you open up the case, all the dividers spread apart like an accordian. This reduces the amount that each CD slides against the dividers. Furthermore, the outside is made of a very tough kind of plastic.

Dec 29, 2001 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 7
I've used Case Logic CD cases, cd sleeves, and cd player cases for about eight years (currently own about 15 C.L. products). Never really had any problems with discs getting scratched or damaged. I think most people that have gotten discs scratched by Case Logic or other brands is because of dirt getting into the sleeve. This is a danger with pretty much any brand. Besides Case Logic, I've used Univenture sleeves and booklets and they are very high quality as well.

-Keith

Dec 31, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 7
edog, the DiscGear must be the best there is. I've been using it for 6 months too, CD, DVD and CD-R and no scratches here. The only disadvantage is that it often gets weird looks from security people. Cost shouldn't be a major worry for people when it is protecting 20 valuable discs so well.

Jan 1, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 7
The Discgear products look pretty good. After browsing their website awhile I decided it would be good to have some hardcase protection instead of the softer CaseLogic stuff, so I ordered a couple of their cases.

-Keith

Jan 2, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Been using CaseLogic for several years, no real problems to speak of.

Jan 2, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 7
It seems that there's some disagreement regarding the safety of Case Logic cases. A quick Google Usenet search turns up conflicting evidence as well.

It just seems bad to have CDs rubbing against anything. The DiscGear cases seem to minimize this with their accordian-like design. In my car, I use jewel cases, because the only part of the CD that touches the jewel case is the middle (non-data) part of the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back