CD burner suggestions
May 15, 2007 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
I already am very happy with the drive I own for ripping audio, but now I need a good CD-RW drive for burning copies of my CD's to bring with me to places where they might get scratched. So I'm looking for recommendations for really good(looking for quality not speed) CD burner or DVD burner drives.

I know there have been threads like this in the past but after looking through them I still can't find any really good drives.

May 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 14
I've enjoyed my NEC 3550a, but they aren't as easy to find as they once were. Great EAC rip speeds in secure mode, and they read damaged discs fairly well. Plus I've not once burned a coaster.

May 16, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 14
Internal is preferred, but if you can recommend any really good external drives suggestions are welcome.

May 16, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 14
The BenQ 1640 and 1650 are pretty nice. A bit loud, though, just like the NEC 3540 and 3550. The Lite-On's are pretty quiet from what I've seen, but the one I have is from five years ago.

I just got this the other day but haven't yet used it much. I recommend the SATA version though; I personally despise having to deal with IDE cables nowadays.

- lk

May 16, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 14
Value: NEC 3550 , Pro: pretty much any Plextor

May 16, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a BENQ DVD-ROM drive along with a BENQ 1620 burner drive with good results.CDFREAKS is a good place to go for research on such things.

+2 on cdfreaks.com. Really great reviews there, and extensive tests with lots of different media. Very comprehensive

I recently got the LG H42L and the ASUS 1612BL for two separate PCs and I'm very happy with both (http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Asus...-Burner-Review).

The Asus is really quiet, the tray is slightly "flimsy" as noted in the review, but not fragile.

May 16, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 14
Short summary of my recommendations:
Pure CD Burner - Plextor Premium II - in the US, only available from Plextor USA office in limited quantities.

DVD buners that burn good CDs:
The BenQ's previously mentioned - they also make very good CD scanners. Pioneer makes good DVD/CD burners, but their scanning capabilities are sorely lacking. Too bad, BenQ is leaving the optical market.

Notice no one said anything about liteon DVD burners?

May 16, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnDiggity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BENQs have really high burn quality (1640>1620>1650>1655) for DVDs what does this Plextor offer above that?

Plextor is a great brand name with a long reputation.You will pay a lot more for a Plextor DVD drive than a BENQ with similar features.They are both rated about the same so you can't go wrong with either one.Drives are throw away items that you use for a few years and replace.Time or technology will kill most any computer drive in a few years.

May 17, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnDiggity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BENQs have really high burn quality (1640>1620>1650>1655) for DVDs what does this Plextor offer above that?

Not much. This is why plextor has left the consumer level optical drive market and decided to rebrand other drives. plextor did rebrand BenQ drives at one point.

Again, DVD burners may not necessarily make good CD burners. Finding a DVD burner that burns CDs well might be a balancing act. I currently use all these three burners at once - plextor, pioneer, and liteon. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back