CD-3000 impedance plot
Feb 18, 2004 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

audiopile

New Head-Fier
I've run into some listening experiences that I find somewhat strange.
Use Beyer DT-990 ,Grado SR-60 and Sony CD-3000 phones. Grado's and Sony's are recent acquisitions. Have driven 990's off of either the line out of my EAD 9000 or out of a Senheiser DSP box - this worked fine. Tried Grado's and they sounded - well --- pretty lousy. This just didn't jibe with the g's reputation. Occured to me that the Beyers measure around 250 ohms - the grados around 32 . Plugged the grado's into the headphone jack on one of my Marantz DR-700 cd burners - whole different ball game - grados may not be the most comfortable - but really good sounding headphone.
This seemed to make sense to me since the output impedance of the EAD is 50 ohms and the senheiser DSP is 40 ohms. You always want to drive a impedance higher than your source impedance.
In the mean time the Sony MDR CD-3000's come in - these sound better driven directly off the EAD ???? They are listed as having a 32ohm @ 1Khz impedance. I would think they would behave like the grados - sounding best when driven off the DR-700 headphone out put ( 8 to 2000 ohm @ up to 5V RMS) - why isn't this the case??
I would be curious to see a plot of frquency v. impedance on the CD-3000's - anyone know where one might be available?

System consists of :
Beyer DT-990
Grado SR-60
Sony MDR CD-3000
Dirtball technics changer
two Marantz DR-700 CD burners
EAD DSP-9000/III
Hafler SE-120
Paradym Studio 20/V-2
Tandberg 3001A
misc. video stuff

Users who are viewing this thread