CCA C10 vs Moondrop Starfield
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dpastern

100+ Head-Fier
As the subject title suggests, what would the differences be between these 2 IEMs?

I've recently dipped my feet into the IEM market with the CCA C10 purchase and very very happy with their sound. I find the bass is reasonable, reasonably tight and detailed, mids are nice, treble is not offensive and moderately detailed (I have high frequency hearing loss, so take that as you will). They are pretty well detailed too, revealing details that I've never heard before on several tracks that I know pretty well (tested with stock iPhone 6 and lossy m4a files).

I would like a bit more detail, and vocals a bit more forward in the mix, that's my only gripes (and that's based on personal preferences).

I note the CCA has a bunch of BA and DD drivers, whereas the moondrop is just DD. I'm not quite sure what to expect in terms of sound presentation because of this.

How comfortable are the starfields? I can wear the C10s for around 2 hours before I have to take a break (with the medium earbuds). Comfort is important to me - the starfields would need to be as comfortable as the C10s are for me. I have usually found earbuds very uncomfortable in the past (you know, your cheap earphones, nothing fancy).

Most listening will be done on the fly when out in public with my iPhone. More serious listening will be done either with the iPhone + Chord Mojo or my AK120II + mojo (at home).

I had a look at crinacle's IEM ranking page, but got confused with what most of the column headers meant (had to google what BA vs DD meant lol).

Any thoughts appreciated. I don't really want to spend more money than the starfields.

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 5
I would like a bit more detail, and vocals a bit more forward in the mix, that's my only gripes (and that's based on personal preferences).
Put a bit of adhesive tape over the small hole next to the nozzle; vocal gets a bit more forward and slightly thicker. And, generally, a bassier presentation especially around mid-bass. Easily reversible, if you don't like the changes.

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 5
Put a bit of adhesive tape over the small hole next to the nozzle; vocal gets a bit more forward and slightly thicker. And, generally, a bassier presentation especially around mid-bass. Easily reversible, if you don't like the changes.

I'd be worried about the tape coming off into my ear...crikey, I'm still scared of the ear buds coming off in the ear...

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 5
As the subject title suggests, what would the differences be between these 2 IEMs?

I've recently dipped my feet into the IEM market with the CCA C10 purchase and very very happy with their sound. I find the bass is reasonable, reasonably tight and detailed, mids are nice, treble is not offensive and moderately detailed (I have high frequency hearing loss, so take that as you will). They are pretty well detailed too, revealing details that I've never heard before on several tracks that I know pretty well (tested with stock iPhone 6 and lossy m4a files).

I note the CCA has a bunch of BA and DD drivers, whereas the moondrop is just DD. I'm not quite sure what to expect in terms of sound presentation because of this.

How comfortable are the starfields? I can wear the C10s for around 2 hours before I have to take a break (with the medium earbuds). Comfort is important to me - the starfields would need to be as comfortable as the C10s are for me. I have usually found earbuds very uncomfortable in the past (you know, your cheap earphones, nothing fancy).

Most listening will be done on the fly when out in public with my iPhone. More serious listening will be done either with the iPhone + Chord Mojo or my AK120II + mojo (at home).

I had a look at crinacle's IEM ranking page, but got confused with what most of the column headers meant (had to google what BA vs DD meant lol).

Any thoughts appreciated. I don't really want to spend more money than the starfields.

I don't have both sets, but at the budget/midfi segment, in general the pure DD sets have better timbre and tonality. And the DD sets tend to have better bass decay/movement of air, and deeper subbass extension sometimes.

Whereas the pure multi BA sets/hybrids at the budget/midfi segment tend to have better technicalities (instrument separation, clarity, details, imaging) and better isolation in the case of pure BA sets (as they are not vented usually unlike DD sets). Pure BA sets generally have faster bass.

Exceptions exist of course.

Hybrids like the CCA C10 (BA + DD type) supposedly address the above issues by combining the best of both worlds, but they may have coherency or crossover issues at the budget segment sometimes.

Since u already have a CCA C10 hybrid, maybe u can buy some sub $30 single DD sets like the BLON BL-03 to check out whether u like DD timbre and tonality, and a pure BA set like the TRN BA5 to see if u like technical performance. Then upgrade from there once u know what u like.

Aug 10, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 5
I forgot about this thread, sorry! I don't really wanna faff around with buying extra stuff just to see what I like (I see that as waste of money). Since the C10 is working well and I'm very happy with the sound quality, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie! Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back