CBGB’s 1976 or so, Anyone else out there who caught the wave?
Mar 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ethebull

100+ Head-Fier
Late 1975, My dad got a new job in NYC. I was 16. The family moved from the Chicago Burbs to NJ while my Bro was finishing his senior year in Architecture School in France. When he got “home”, neither of us had any long time friends to entertain ourselves, and my big brother began to tow me along into the city for the burgeoning music scene.

We saw so many of the seminal acts of the era -

Television
Talking Heads
Ramones
Patti
John Cale in his Island Records period…
As well as the crazier sh!t:
Richard Hell and the Voidoids
Steel Tips
Pere Ubu in their early period
Dead Boys
Eater
X-Ray Spex

Vivid memories still remain.

Shout out your love for this energizing period that saved R&R!!

E

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 10
Ok now, Come on people!

If "Accordion music recommendations" can get 4 replies after 38 views, I'm more than losing faith in the Head-fi crowd at this point.
wink.gif
redface.gif

(though Los Lobos rocked(s) hard with an Accordion)

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 10
The Edge owes Tom Verlaine big time, and he's said so publicly. Television put out just two LP's in their early period, but their live performances were mesmerizing.
The third self titled CD had a few more moments of genius, as has Tom's solo work. Many say they are a bit of an acquired taste, but so was the Velvet Underground. Grab all you can and soak it in to expand your horizons.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 10
I unfortunately wasn't there. In fact, i was born the day the Ramones signed with Sire. And yeah, i love that stuff. I just listened to the Ramones It's Alive last night for like the thousandth time. Then earlier this afternoon i was listening to the X-Ray Spex while assembling a project for school. Crazy that they were singing about genetic engineering back then.

So yes, nothing but love.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 10
I definitely envy you. There are a few bands that I feel lucky to have seen either in their absolute prime or at least before they disbanded (e.g. Guided By Voices, The Jesus Lizard, Fugazi, Boredoms, Melt Banana, Superchunk, Pavement, Flaming Lips, The Ruins, Sleater Kinney, Sebadoh, Spiritualized, US Maple, etc), but I'm not sure I wouldn't trade all these experiences for one night of early CBGB's...

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Oh I wish I could have been there!! But I don't think they would let a 4yr old in.
I would kill to have seen/see the Talking Heads live. They are my all time favorite band. Too bad they (David) will never get along enough to play together again.

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Talking heads were very interesting in the early years. I caught them twice at CBGB's, the first show was before Jerry Harrison had joined the band, then just a few months later as a foursome, several months before TH '77 came out. They were very raw, hyper and intense back then.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 10
I think I saw the Ramones sixteen times. The first show at CB's was pretty surreal and shocking. Two sets, about twenty five minutes in length, Dee Dee shouting out 1234 every minute and ten seconds... My brother and I weren't sure if he was signaling the start of a new tune each time or not??? It wasn't until the RAMONES Lp came out that either of us "got it". They hit their stride right after that and I became a huge fan, catching consecutive shows at Club 57 two nights in a row over the winter of 77/78 plus many many more.

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I saw the Ramones sixteen times. The first show at CB's was pretty surreal and shocking. Two sets, about twenty five minutes in length, Dee Dee shouting out 1234 every minute and ten seconds... My brother and I weren't sure if he was signaling the start of a new tune each time or not??? It wasn't until the RAMONES Lp came out that either of us "got it". They hit their stride right after that and I became a huge fan, catching consecutive shows at Club 57 two nights in a row over the winter of 77/78 plus many many more.

Yeah, it seems like they really hit their stride right in that time period. It especially shows on the It's Alive CD. It just feels as if they're playing with more resolve and desire. The aggressiveness of it just comes through on that album. Not quite as much on the king Biscut Flower Hour cd. Loco Live started to sound a little mechanical. We're outta here sounded like somebody put a cinder block on the accelerator and never looked back.

Funny side note, i met Clint Howard Tuesday evening. It was a trip to meet Eaglebauer. Nice guy too.

Decay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back