Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #3,256 of 3,665
I'll have to give this a go. I do like the sound of the RU6 when double camping with full sized cans. I actually think this is the way to go with headphones and the RU6. I usually go with L gain, NOS mode when double amping, although I did try H gain with the DT880 Pros. Will have to try in H gain OS mode.
I wanted to go back to trying the RU6 directly with IEMs when testing my latest purchase (the ASTs). Have just been surpised at the night and day offerings this IEM poses out of both 3.5 and 4.4 outputs.
Indeed. I'm not very good at putting in words what I ear like some can but with OS the clarity and imaging improves a lot making the RU6 very special. Most people that have tried the RU6 tend to judge it straight away on sound but what I have learned is that your patience will be rewarded in time. This unit needs playing time, a real burn-in period (and I'm not a believer) to really shine. I'm over 200 hours and still I notice differences the more I use it. It is unbelievable but again, from everything I read about the old R2R technology, this is common to all R2R products.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #3,258 of 3,665
Double amping seems to actually enhance the clarity this dongle can provide. In my example I am using the RU6 together with a Sabaj A10h amp (ifi iPower 15V power supply) and the sound just keeps on improving.
Agree. The RU6 is more stable used as a pre input and the balanced output means you can go XLR with a 4.4mm to XLR cable. And it does really well in NOS mode with HQPlayer up sampling to 384/24. I continue to hope for a battery powered version to support power hungry planar headphones

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #3,260 of 3,665
deleted

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #3,261 of 3,665
At the moment my RU6 is feeding a Sabaj A10h via RCA cables. I then connect an IEM with 4.4mm cable using an adapter to my amp. Works well. I dont bother changing my IEM cable since I really like this balanced cable.

Are you running the cable from the RU6 to your amp out of the balanced or single ended jack? Just curious.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #3,262 of 3,665
Most of the usage for my Cayin RU6 has been as a DAC, feeding a couple of different small headphone amps.
At home, I connect a 4.4mm TRRRS cable to the 4.4mm TRRRS input on my KAEI TAP-1S fully balanced amp.
At work, I use a 2.5mm TRRS to 2x 3-Pin XLR cable I assembled for my S.M.S.L. sAp-9 fully balanced amp. The cable was assembled when I only had devices with 2.5mm balanced outputs, so I use a 4.4mm TRRRS to 2.5mm TRRS adapter on the RU6.

Ever since I received my IMR Elan+ earphones, I've been appreciating the RU6 (and my HiBy RS6 DAP) even more.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #3,264 of 3,665
From the single ended jack using an 3.5mm to RCA cable into my amplifier. I do not own a balanced amp so this has to be my solution.
Same here.

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #3,265 of 3,665
You should try RS2.
Hey bro could you give a comparison of rs2 and ru6 ? I’m currently using ru6 and really like it with the iPad but with my iPhone it’s not that good( probably due to better power Delivery of iPad ).
039FECBF-AFF2-4D38-BE01-6DE25CB36D38.jpeg

Mar 17, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #3,266 of 3,665
Anyone else having a problem with the RU6 where you can't hear the first 0.5s of the first track you play? This also happens on videos and youtube.
When I play something, there will be an audible click coming from the RU6, like it's loading the track first. As a consequence, I wasn't able to hear the first 0.5s of the track.

Mar 17, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #3,267 of 3,665
Anyone else having a problem with the RU6 where you can't hear the first 0.5s of the first track you play? This also happens on videos and youtube.
When I play something, there will be an audible click coming from the RU6, like it's loading the track first. As a consequence, I wasn't able to hear the first 0.5s of the track.

Does it do the same thing in Oversampling, and Non-oversampling modes?

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #3,269 of 3,665
This happens for me too - quite often in fact with UAPP. This has also been noticed and commented on by someone earlier in this thread as well. This only happens when manually skipping a track (i.e. I don't experience this if leaving an album or playlist to play automatically).

If switching between albums or selecting different tracks, I find pausing the track I'm listening to before selecting the next track (if your switching to a different album) helps. I don't believe I get this happening when listening to RU6 with Audirvana, but I will have to test this more extensively to know for sure.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #3,270 of 3,665
Based on a few people's recent comments and findings when using the 4.4 ouput of the RU6 to a 4.4 balanced input on their amp, I decided to test the following: Audrirvana>>RU6 (4.4 output/H gain/OS mode)>>Zen CAN (4.4 input)>>Beyerdynamic DT880s.
Amazing listening experience - I'm even more appreciative of the RU6 than I already was. The music is more detailed with better dynamics - more open, more airy, better soundstage and imaging. Cannot stop listening :L3000:
This happens for me too - quite often in fact with UAPP. This has also been noticed and commented on by someone earlier in this thread as well. This only happens when manually skipping a track (i.e. I don't experience this if leaving an album or playlist to play automatically).

If switching between albums or selecting different tracks, I find pausing the track I'm listening to before selecting the next track (if your switching to a different album) helps. I don't believe I get this happening when listening to RU6 with Audirvana, but I will have to test this more extensively to know for sure.

I can confirm that there is no loss of music at the start of tracks when switching between tracks in Audirvana with the RU6, so this issue surely has to rest with UAPP and any other third party players that people have experienced this issue. With regards to UAPP, I have tried to look into the USB settings and can't find any way to fix this problem :frowning2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back