Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #3,046 of 3,665
Don't get me wrong, the Timeless sounds objectively great out of the RU6. It's only when you compare it against something better that flaws start popping out but if you're just listening to them both on their own you won't have many complaints.
I had the RU6, BTR7, Sparrow... DAC/Amps and to my ears all of them were good devices for the price. Better than budget stuff but not as good as higher priced devices like Mojo 2, micro iDSD Signature... What you are describing as "better" sonically, could just be that you like the way your IEM pairs with the BTR5.

In my testing, I really liked the planar Hook-X with BTR7 while on the other hand some dynamic driver IEM's like FH5 & Honeydew paired better with RU6.

At the end of the day, get something that has the features you need, in your case, it seems like an internal battery and bluetooth is important to you so get a DAC/Amp with said features and enjoy. There's no need to crap on a product because it does not have the features you need.

It's the OE Audio OEOTG Digital Audio Cable.
I have that Cable and it's a good one. A bit stiff though and can cause some awkwardness when stacking a phone and DAC really close.
Why does the sound seem cleaner when I'm playing it from my iPhone compared to playing it from my MacBook? Am I imagining it or is there some signal interference?
Source noise or bad Cable.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #3,047 of 3,665
I used to own an RU6 and I loved it's SQ, but since I use an iPhone 13mini, I ran into the same clipping and heat issues that are now well known, so I sold it and moved on.

But I came across (and own) a Lightning-to-USB-C cable that may solve (or at least reduce) the clipping issue. It has excellent build quality, it's connectors don't get super hot (but the Lightning connector does get slightly warm), and it has been tested to output up to 5V-200mA (1W) of power.

It's the OE Audio OEOTG Digital Audio Cable. https://oeaudio.shop/products/oeotg-digital-cable?variant=40577134624821

I'm not sure if this cable has been mentioned before in this thread, but because it's so long, I'm not about to check.:sweat_smile:

Since I no longer own an RU6, I can't confirm if it will help with or fix the RU6's clipping issue with iPhones, but I think it's worth taking a look at.
I have the iPhone 13 mini and I'm waiting for the RU6 to arrive. I'm gonna pair it with the 7HZ Timeless and yes, the cable you refer has been mentioned before, I have ordered it also but since I'm in Europe and only found one place that sells it (They should have it in stock by next week) I'm waiting for it also. I believe in a couple of weeks I will be able to say, for sure, how the Mini with the dongle and that specific cable works. Cheers.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #3,048 of 3,665
I think everyone has made their point already, I hope we don't develop into arguing instead of constructive discussion.

I do agree with the point, in principle, that if you are using iPhone as your mobile source, a Dongle DAC (without any battery or built-in power supply) is not really your best bet unless you choose your IEM carefully, and that put most on-ear or over-ear headphones out of the picture. If you can find a pairing that works well, I am happy for you. The problem is the power limitation enforced by iPhone, it is not an iOS issue. If you are using iPad or other iOS devices that don't have the power restriction, the situation is a lot better.

Let's respect that and focus in sharing our impression, I don't think it is a good idea to challenge others' opinions. Everyone is entitled to his own preference and bottom line,
Thank you once again for your wise words. I have read this all thread before deciding to go for it, even knowing the power limitations of the iPhone. I'm not that worried if it won't work 100% as I also plan to use it with my IMAC 24 desktop, doubling it with the Lake People G111 MKII amp and connected to the Grado Hemp cans.

Anyway, my advice to anyone is to read the all thread or at least search the thread for keywords like "iPhone" and so on for those of you who who will use one with the RU6. Everything is explained, several times, in the very informative and complete thread. I believe there is nothing I don't know, at this point, about the RU6... and I still don't have it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :beyersmile:

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #3,049 of 3,665
Why does the sound seem cleaner when I'm playing it from my iPhone compared to playing it from my MacBook? Am I imagining it or is there some signal interference?
Are you using Apple Music for streaming? If so check on the MacBook options/definitions, under the Music tab if you have both Equalizer and volume adjusting off/deactivated. (sorry but my iPhone is in Portuguese so don't know the exact words in the English menu).

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #3,050 of 3,665
I had the RU6, BTR7, Sparrow... DAC/Amps and to my ears all of them were good devices for the price. Better than budget stuff but not as good as higher priced devices like Mojo 2, micro iDSD Signature... What you are describing as "better" sonically, could just be that you like the way your IEM pairs with the BTR5.

In my testing, I really liked the planar Hook-X with BTR7 while on the other hand some dynamic driver IEM's like FH5 & Honeydew paired better with RU6.

At the end of the day, get something that has the features you need, in your case, it seems like an internal battery and bluetooth is important to you so get a DAC/Amp with said features and enjoy. There's no need to crap on a product because it does not have the features you need.

I have that Cable and it's a good one. A bit stiff though and can cause some awkwardness when stacking a phone and DAC really close.

Source noise or bad Cable.
Once again, I'm not crapping on anything. I own and enjoy the RU6 along with other dongles and Bluetooth dac/amps. At no point in this thread did I ever say I disliked the RU6. I said it's not the best fit for a primary portable if you're an iPhone user, something Cayin's own rep agrees with.

The RU6 does have real sonic drawbacks. That is not up for debate. You don't need to be so defensive about the device, it's a great unit but nothing is perfect, certainly not a $250 dongle.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #3,051 of 3,665
I would suspect that the EMI and RFI manufacturing standards are more stringent for a device thats basically a radio transceiver held next to your head.
Because its powering the DAC, its critical for a source player to minimize induced noise contaminants to the lightning/USB port.

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #3,052 of 3,665
Is this some kind of joke?

Gee, thin skinned much? Why is it so hard to acknowledge there are different strokes for different folks and leave it at that? (And accept it that most people on a board devoted to the RU6 are unlikely to agree with you on these matters.) For various reasons, I primarily use the RU6 for convenience at home to listen away from my desktop setup (or for gaming on my computer so as not to degrade the life of the tubes in my Liquid Platinum), but while your reasons may be valid for you on portability, they make no sense to me. I just don't use Bluetooth. Ever. (I'm using a couple of desktop DACs that have Bluetooth; I don't even have the antennas attached.) And while the RU6 is on the large size for a dongle, in the greater scheme of things it is tiny and weighs almost nothing. Attaching it to my phone with a rubber strap I had from an old FiiO device and using the short stock USB C cable is a very minor inconvenience when weighed against its benefits. If you disagree, great--you don't have to use it and no one is forcing you to. Why do you feel it necessary to tediously keep telling people who do use it as a portable device that they are wrong?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #3,053 of 3,665
Gee, thin skinned much? Why is it so hard to acknowledge there are different strokes for different folks and leave it at that? (And accept it that most people on a board devoted to the RU6 are unlikely to agree with you on these matters.) For various reasons, I primarily use the RU6 for convenience at home to listen away from my desktop setup (or for gaming on my computer so as not to degrade the life of the tubes in my Liquid Platinum), but while your reasons may be valid for you on portability, they make no sense to me. I just don't use Bluetooth. Ever. (I'm using a couple of desktop DACs that have Bluetooth; I don't even have the antennas attached.) And while the RU6 is on the large size for a dongle, in the greater scheme of things it is tiny and weighs almost nothing. Attaching it to my phone with a rubber strap I had from an old FiiO device and using the short stock USB C cable is a very minor inconvenience when weighed against its benefits. If you disagree, great--you don't have to use it and no one is forcing you to. Why do you feel it necessary to tediously keep telling people who do use it as a portable device that they are wrong?
Sorry, it's just so far away from my experience it seemed like you couldn't be serious. You seem pretty upset and adamant about your position so I won't make the situation worse, I hope all is well on your end.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #3,054 of 3,665
Sorry, it's just so far away from my experience it seemed like you couldn't be serious. You seem pretty upset and adamant about your position so I won't make the situation worse, I hope all is well on your end.
Actually, I very rarely listen to music on the go any more. (Though there was a time that I regularly paired my phone with a FiiO Q1 MkII, which is considerable larger than a RU6.) But I found your attitude that your personal opinion was so unquestionably right for everyone that no one could disagree with it except as a joke to be, bluntly, offensive.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #3,055 of 3,665
Actually, I very rarely listen to music on the go any more. (Though there was a time that I regularly paired my phone with a FiiO Q1 MkII, which is considerable larger than a RU6.) But I found your attitude that your personal opinion was so unquestionably right for everyone that no one could disagree with it except as a joke to be, bluntly, offensive.
I'm glad that seems like a reasonable mobile solution to you. Cheers!

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #3,057 of 3,665
Anyone played around with the Hifiman EF400 and want to share their thoughts on how their R2R DAC section sound quality compares to the RU6?
A recent reviewer stated that the EF400 gave him Delta-Sigma like sound in comparison to the RU6…i heard the EF400 at Canjam last year but the showroom isn’t quiet enough to compare on such a level.

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #3,058 of 3,665
A recent reviewer stated that the EF400 gave him Delta-Sigma like sound in comparison to the RU6…i heard the EF400 at Canjam last year but the showroom isn’t quiet enough to compare on such a level.
Ah no. It does not sound like a delta-sigma DAC, especially in NOS mode and after Burn-In.
Anyone played around with the Hifiman EF400 and want to share their thoughts on how their R2R DAC section sound quality compares to the RU6?
I had the RU6 and really liked it's sound signature, I sometimes even preferred it more than my Gryphon but I needed more power. I initially experimented with using external Amps like Topping A30 Pro, Zen CAN... with unsatsfactory results. They added more power but also more distortion. So I ended up getting the EF400.

Sonically, it's a big upgrade over the RU6. In comparision to the EF400, the RU6 is a bit relaxed sounding with slightly rolled off/subdued treble presentation and also less extension in the lows with a more easy going sound. The EF400 is more neutral with a crazy amount of power. It also resolves better, has bigger Bass impact, has more detail, sounds wider and has a more refined sound.

I mostly use Headphones but for IEMs there is slight issue with limited volume range because of high output power.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #3,059 of 3,665
@Johnfg465vd , I hear you on the desire for more power. IME the RU6 does causes random "gasps" during playback using planar headphones
when there are complex loud passages with low bass driven by iPhone, which doesn't happen if NUC connected. Would be nice to see
a "MK II" offer that had its own battery, unfettered by source power limitations for low bass.

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #3,060 of 3,665
When searching for the RU6 feedback, outside of this forum, the general opinion about this dongle seems to be way more negative than positive. What puzzles me is how can there be such extreme feelings about the same product?

There is a particular forum that reviewed it and just trashed it from first to last post almost. s u p e r b e s t a u d i o f r i e n d s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back