Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Nov 6, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #2,926 of 3,686
Hello,

I have been lent a Cayin RU6 by an audio friend who thought I might like the sound of the R2R Dac - which he is right about! Maybe it's all imagination, but compared to my Dragonfly Red, which I have used as a DAC until now, the Cayin just sounds distinctly... "more musical" and/or "more real". Hard to describe, but I'm sure you know what differences I'm talking about :wink:. So: I must now also have an R2R DAC.

Now I'm spoiled for choice: I can either buy a new RU6, of which I know what I'm getting, or I can buy a used Audio-GD R2R-11 (not MK2). Price-wise, both cost about the same.

Does anyone have experience and can tell me which one sounds "better"? Or where the differences are? The sound is most important to me, that the RU6 for example is portable, I do not care much.

Especially important to me is the reproduction of voices. Damien Rice, Nick Drake, Sun Kil Moon, this is the kind of music I like to listen to the most.

Many greetings

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #2,927 of 3,686
Im in search for a cheap portable setup that will give my laptop alittle upgrade:

I have purchased Sony 1AM2 headphones, and now need a good dac for it.

Is Cayin RU6 the only small/portable R2R dac?

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #2,928 of 3,686
Im in search for a cheap portable setup that will give my laptop alittle upgrade:

I have purchased Sony 1AM2 headphones, and now need a good dac for it.

Is Cayin RU6 the only small/portable R2R dac?
Pretty much, yes. The only other choice that I know of would be something like the Hiby RS2 which is a DAP, so it's inherently less pocketable and more expensive

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #2,929 of 3,686
Pretty much, yes. The only other choice that I know of would be something like the Hiby RS2 which is a DAP, so it's inherently less pocketable and more expensive
Im going to test Cayin RU6 I got excited. I will demo it for a while. I will compare it between iFi Diablo.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #2,930 of 3,686
2 things waiting for your comments.

1. Usb cable makes sq improvement
2. External (via an usbC/hdmi multi adapter) power feeding sq improvement.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #2,931 of 3,686
2 things waiting for your comments.

1. Usb cable makes sq improvement
2. External (via an usbC/hdmi multi adapter) power feeding sq improvement.
Which lightning cable can you recommend?

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #2,933 of 3,686
Fixed

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #2,934 of 3,686
Liking the RU6 very much. It has its limitations as a portable DAC, really need OS enabled for good treble and the leading edge of notes are fuzzy
compared to the sharpness of a Chord Mojo. But its meaty, much more engaging for me than a Mojo. Putting it into a main system with HQPlayer
DSD up-sampling is a real treat, most of the leading edge fuzziness goes away, Not as smooth as a Denafrips Ares II but I think its a better balanced sound

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2,935 of 3,686
Liking the RU6 very much. It has its limitations as a portable DAC, really need OS enabled for good treble and the leading edge of notes are fuzzy
compared to the sharpness of a Chord Mojo. But its meaty, much more engaging for me than a Mojo. Putting it into a main system with HQPlayer
DSD up-sampling is a real treat, most of the leading edge fuzziness goes away, Not as smooth as a Denafrips Ares II but I think its a better balanced sound
I always listen to my RU6 with DSD upsampling too, even when streaming from Qobuz and Tidal on the go

Nov 11, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #2,936 of 3,686
You got me thinking there. I always used NOS before because I thought it added body to the overall making it more analog sounding. After reading this I thought let me try and there is subtle difference with highs making them airy and I love this sound better. Initially before the burn In period I really couldn’t tell the difference much but now I can definitely hear the subtle change

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #2,937 of 3,686
Something that could be interesting is finding the smallest player(size of cayin) and connect it to cayin.

That could be awesome.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #2,938 of 3,686
You got me thinking there. I always used NOS before because I thought it added body to the overall making it more analog sounding. After reading this I thought let me try and there is subtle difference with highs making them airy and I love this sound better. Initially before the burn In period I really couldn’t tell the difference much but now I can definitely hear the subtle change
I heard the difference right after first day of use and realize a quick toggle for NOS/OS is my wish.
Not always Os or NOS sounds better to my ears. It depending on tracks.
For airy, DS chip like, go to OS.
For organic, realistic, blooming and center forcus vocal, go to NOS.

Adding external DC 5V line to the ru6, it will sounds more solid, more airy and layering of highs.
Dont know why. It is like volume increase a bit when feed by external power (I am not sure and cant measure)

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #2,939 of 3,686
I heard the difference right after first day of use and realize a quick toggle for NOS/OS is my wish.
Not always Os or NOS sounds better to my ears. It depending on tracks.
For airy, DS chip like, go to OS.
For organic, realistic, blooming and center forcus vocal, go to NOS.

Adding external DC 5V line to the ru6, it will sounds more solid, more airy and layering of highs.
Dont know why. It is like volume increase a bit when feed by external power (I am not sure and cant measure)
How did you add external DC 5V please?

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #2,940 of 3,686

Users who are viewing this thread

Back