Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Aug 24, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #2,731 of 3,665
Has anyone experience a drop in USB audio connection when using the RU6 with a phone? I've noticed mine to lose connection every now and then, at first I thought it was a faulty cable issue but I tried wiggling the cable and the connectors and the connection was still perfect. It wasn't until I noticed that it drops connection whenever there's some other audio source that comes into play other than the music I am playing eg. a message notification or sometimes audio coming from a video when browsing facebook or instagram. I noticed that it just gets dropped and normally you see the sampling rate displayed on the dongle but when it drops, it's just a blank display.

Anyone having this issue? Or is there some settings that I need to do on my phone? I am using a Samsung A73 as source by the way.

Have you set the music app you're using to ignore other apps requests for audio focus or audio ducking? It sounds like your app is allowing other apps to take over the audio focus and thus it's pausing the music being fed to the DAC. I could be wrong, bit this would be the first thing I would check because when I have a music app set to ignore audio focus or ducking requests it doesn't pause the music stream when another app attempts to make a sound.

Aug 24, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #2,732 of 3,665
Have you set the music app you're using to ignore other apps requests for audio focus or audio ducking? It sounds like your app is allowing other apps to take over the audio focus and thus it's pausing the music being fed to the DAC. I could be wrong, bit this would be the first thing I would check because when I have a music app set to ignore audio focus or ducking requests it doesn't pause the music stream when another app attempts to make a sound.
Thanks for the tip, I am using the Hiby Music App with USB exclusive mode so I guess its already set to ignore other audio source to take over but I'll try toggling it again. The weird thing is I do notice that this loss in connection happens also when in other scenarios like when I am watching something on youtube, it happens more often when it's a notification audio. To recover I would need to plug out the RU6 and plug it back in to resume connection. It does get kinda annoying when you need to do it one too many times.

I've also noticed that the music playback does pause for about a second or two whenever I am switching apps.

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #2,733 of 3,665
Thanks for the tip, I am using the Hiby Music App with USB exclusive mode so I guess its already set to ignore other audio source to take over but I'll try toggling it again. The weird thing is I do notice that this loss in connection happens also when in other scenarios like when I am watching something on youtube, it happens more often when it's a notification audio. To recover I would need to plug out the RU6 and plug it back in to resume connection. It does get kinda annoying when you need to do it one too many times.

I've also noticed that the music playback does pause for about a second or two whenever I am switching apps.
I exactly have the same behavior when playing from Tidal. I think it is a software issue but I don't know how to fix it, except by unplugging and replugging RU6

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #2,734 of 3,665
Has anyone experience a drop in USB audio connection when using the RU6 with a phone? I've noticed mine to lose connection every now and then, at first I thought it was a faulty cable issue but I tried wiggling the cable and the connectors and the connection was still perfect. It wasn't until I noticed that it drops connection whenever there's some other audio source that comes into play other than the music I am playing eg. a message notification or sometimes audio coming from a video when browsing facebook or instagram. I noticed that it just gets dropped and normally you see the sampling rate displayed on the dongle but when it drops, it's just a blank display.

Anyone having this issue? Or is there some settings that I need to do on my phone? I am using a Samsung A73 as source by the way.
It's likely to be a lack of RAM. Try to find the android setting to ignore battery optimization for your music player app. This should give the player more available RAM

Aug 24, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #2,739 of 3,665
Just wanted to add for this info incase someone was looking to try a similar setup. I have been using the Cayin RU6 with an Raspberry Pi 4 running vitOS as a Roon endpoint without issues. Roon recognized the RU6 almost immediately upon connection of USB. I believe some users have reported noise issues when using the RU6 with an RPI(not sure of the software they are using) but I have not experienced that with my setup.

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #2,740 of 3,665
Yes. I could hardly tell the difference between bit perfect and not so bit perfect
I can quite tell bit perfect and resampled stuff especially non-multiples (i.e. 44.1kHz -> 48kHz which is most common in my case). The pause and sometimes losing focus happens to me in Neutron. nit with RU6 (mine's still in transit) but with my external DAC Topping E30. My solution for it is to just slient my phone (turn on silent mode) so it doesn't get distracted by notifications / videos playing in news feed (unless you toggle the audio on for those vids). Might work for those having the issue as well.

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,741 of 3,665

I have this issue as well, but until now i was convinced that it was a cable/usb-c port issue… tried a sturdier usb-c -> lightning cable and it was better for a while, now it started again. Totally annoying, especially since the dongle is great beside that issue!

Aug 24, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #2,742 of 3,665
I'm primarily using UAPP with the RU6 and my phone and I haven't had this problem at all. Maybe you guys should try UAPP and see if it works as well for you as it has been working for me. I will see about trying the Hiby app to see if I have the problem when using it instead of UAPP.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #2,743 of 3,665
I can quite tell bit perfect and resampled stuff especially non-multiples (i.e. 44.1kHz -> 48kHz which is most common in my case). The pause and sometimes losing focus happens to me in Neutron. nit with RU6 (mine's still in transit) but with my external DAC Topping E30. My solution for it is to just slient my phone (turn on silent mode) so it doesn't get distracted by notifications / videos playing in news feed (unless you toggle the audio on for those vids). Might work for those having the issue as well.
Thanks! Turning phone to silent is a good workaround, I'll try and see if it solves the problem.

I'm primarily using UAPP with the RU6 and my phone and I haven't had this problem at all. Maybe you guys should try UAPP and see if it works as well for you as it has been working for me. I will see about trying the Hiby app to see if I have the problem when using it instead of UAPP.
Do let us know how it goes, thanks!

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #2,744 of 3,665
Do let us know how it goes, thanks!

I did indeed have this same problem with when using the Hiby Music app, but only with apps like messages and calls when I didn't have "do not interrupt" engaged. When I set my phone up to not interrupt me with calls, messages, and notification sounds I no longer hand the problem. With UAPP I don't have this problem at all so I think it has something to do with the difference in how the to apps handle audio focus and audio ducking, but I could be wrong.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,745 of 3,665
I did indeed have this same problem with when using the Hiby Music app, but only with apps like messages and calls when I didn't have "do not interrupt" engaged. When I set my phone up to not interrupt me with calls, messages, and notification sounds I no longer hand the problem. With UAPP I don't have this problem at all so I think it has something to do with the difference in how the to apps handle audio focus and audio ducking, but I could be wrong.
That's so weird, your symptoms seems the other way around with the exclusive mode OFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back