Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Feb 18, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #2,026 of 3,686
I'm still under 100 hours so my unit might still be changing. But so far I did test low and high gain then volume match it, I find low gain show better details and vocals so I kept at low gain. High gain feels like there's a bit more power to the sound at the cost of masking details.

So I end up using low gain on RU6.

Which is actually surprising because most of my previous desktop amps, high gain always sounds better (more open, better layering, better dynamic range.......etc).

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #2,027 of 3,686
Yes, I know there is no real line out on the RU6. Most dongle DACs don't offer that option.

As a matter of fact, my current "desktop" set-up is a tad more complex than that. I also have the Creative Sound BlasterX G6 in between the DAC and the amp as a spatial sound hardware DSP.
It makes Qobuz tracks sound like Dolby mixes found on Tidal or Apple Music
Can you explain a bit more how you connect RU6 to a desktop amp? At what volume I should set the RU6 to be so that it doesn't blow up the Desktop Amp? I would like to connect RU6 to a Drop THX 789 AMP. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #2,028 of 3,686
L gain and H gain, which you guys using?

At the time my unit was new, I never touch H gain bcs its ugly output to the whole signal path.
Day by day it getting older and I CAN listen to H mode.

My unit is now >400hours, I still found L mode is the best.
I insert RU6 in and bcs of this, double amping.
I prefer the output than plugging IEM directly to my sp1000.

H mode sounds more like dynamic compression. I hear some notes shaper, impact and a bit brighter.
In L mode spectrum is full and flat.
I have really only used H gain when using more power hungry iems/headphones that possess a higher impedance (e.g. when listening with my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros, which have an impedance of 250ohms (>50ohms)). L gain is for iems/headphones with a low impedance/higher sensitivity (e.g. <50ohms).

H and L gains both give the same sonic quality in terms of output; it's just the level of amplitude is greater with H gain (for more power hungry iems/headphones).

It's the same for the LG V30 phone. The Quad DAC inside the phone matches the impedance level of the headphone/iem:
HiFi status: <50ohms
High Impedance mode: >50ohms (up tp 600ohms)
Auxiliary mode: when headphone jack triggered as a line out.

This is my understanding anyway. Don't know what others think.

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #2,030 of 3,686
:) :) :)
1645258688739.png

This album on tidal has never sounded so good. Thank you @Andykong and the RU6 :)

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #2,031 of 3,686
I have really only used H gain when using more power hungry iems/headphones that possess a higher impedance (e.g. when listening with my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros, which have an impedance of 250ohms (>50ohms)). L gain is for iems/headphones with a low impedance/higher sensitivity (e.g. <50ohms).

H and L gains both give the same sonic quality in terms of output; it's just the level of amplitude is greater with H gain (for more power hungry iems/headphones).

It's the same for the LG V30 phone. The Quad DAC inside the phone matches the impedance level of the headphone/iem:
HiFi status: <50ohms
High Impedance mode: >50ohms (up tp 600ohms)
Auxiliary mode: when headphone jack triggered as a line out.

This is my understanding anyway. Don't know what others think.
I usually don't run an amp at 70% or more.(*)
Unless power is a matter, default thing is volume must be same when and before talking sonic quality (and mostly no need to mention here in headfi, I think).
My hd800s sounds loud enough at 75 (I see, a bit over 70) on the ru6 so ofcouse I chose L gain.
(I see H gain would keep same volume with 60 or 66 but I am not prefer its sound).

IMO, running OS+H mode will make ru6 no more being itself. It like DS chip.

*Addendum: for driving. For feeding (amp) I run up to vol lvl 100

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #2,032 of 3,686
I usually don't run an amp at 70% or more.(*)
Unless power is a matter, default thing is volume must be same when and before talking sonic quality (and mostly no need to mention here in headfi, I think).
My hd800s sounds loud enough at 75 (I see, a bit over 70) on the ru6 so ofcouse I chose L gain.
(I see H gain would keep same volume with 60 or 66 but I am not prefer its sound).

IMO, running OS+H mode will make ru6 no more being itself. It like DS chip.

*Addendum: for driving. For feeding (amp) I run up to vol lvl 100
Do you use OS or NOS when in L gain mode? I'm enjoying L gain NOS.

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,034 of 3,686
I'm still under 100 hours so my unit might still be changing. But so far I did test low and high gain then volume match it, I find low gain show better details and vocals so I kept at low gain. High gain feels like there's a bit more power to the sound at the cost of masking details.

So I end up using low gain on RU6.

Which is actually surprising because most of my previous desktop amps, high gain always sounds better (more open, better layering, better dynamic range.......etc).

Thanks for the observation about Low Gain providing better details & vocal performance.
The 4.4mm TRRRS output of my RU6 is going to the 4.4mm TRRRS input on my Kaei TAP-1S fully Balanced Tube Hybrid amp, and I've got my new Smabat ST-20 earbuds connected to the balanced output of the TAP-1S.
After switching from High to Low Gain - One thing I'm noticing, that's due to the clearer details, is the apparent improvement of instrument & vocal placement in the Sound Stage. Tracks just seem to have better width & depth.

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #2,035 of 3,686
Can you explain a bit more how you connect RU6 to a desktop amp? At what volume I should set the RU6 to be so that it doesn't blow up the Desktop Amp? I would like to connect RU6 to a Drop THX 789 AMP. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I have modified my setup again to reduce noise at the tube amp output stage. I use the balanced cable from my Sony MDR-1AM2 which is a 4.4mm TRRS to 3.5. TRRS cable to connect the RU6 to the aux in if my xDuoo MT-601.
Then, I connect the headphones out to the line in of the Sound Blaster G6 and finally my headphones are plugged directly to the line out of the Sound Blaster.
This is the best way to preserve the R2R + tube sound that I want while having control on the noise level.

I use the volume knob on the tube amp and the Sound Blaster to find a level where noise is inaudible, then I start the music and use the RU6 buttons to control the volume during playback. So, it can be anywhere between 50 and 100, always on low gain and NOS mode. It really depends on the balance I do just before.

I never knew I could blow up my amp 😂

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #2,036 of 3,686
Feb 19, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #2,037 of 3,686
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #2,039 of 3,686
Did you guys see measurements from NOS filter, it's different DAC, but filter wise the same principle.
R2R DACs measure poorly, NOS DACs measure poorly, dongle DACs generally measure poorly compared to desktop DACs.
That being said, RU6 is a R2R NOS dongle DAC, so it should be crappy, right? Yet, it sounds amazing with every headphones I have tried it with.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you trust the most, your ears or your oscilloscope.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #2,040 of 3,686
R2R DACs measure poorly, NOS DACs measure poorly, dongle DACs generally measure poorly compared to desktop DACs.
That being said, RU6 is a R2R NOS dongle DAC, so it should be crappy, right? Yet, it sounds amazing with every headphones I have tried it with.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you trust the most, your ears or your oscilloscope.
Hear hear (pun intended)!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back