Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 18, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #1,037 of 3,665
Thanks. I’m not so familiar with MQA. In such a case would the RU6 be better at 2x than the TC35 Pro fully “unfolded”?
Sorry to intervene, but it's not as clear cut as that. If you are talking about technically better, then yes. The TC35 Pro has the ability for 8x unfold, but if it's musically better or sound more pleasing to the ear, then looking at MQA alone as a factor wouldn't tell you much. Saying better as in higher in fidelity wouldn't be correct as well as there's a whole debate about it. So, it depends. My advice is not to think about it for too much.

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #1,038 of 3,665
Mine is on the way - should arrive on Tuesday. :)

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #1,039 of 3,665
Sorry to intervene, but it's not as clear cut as that. If you are talking about technically better, then yes. The TC35 Pro has the ability for 8x unfold, but if it's musically better or sound more pleasing to the ear, then looking at MQA alone as a factor wouldn't tell you much. Saying better as in higher in fidelity wouldn't be correct as well as there's a whole debate about it. So, it depends. My advice is not to think about it for too much.
This. You will probably hear a difference between the two Dongles, but not between the different MQA "unfolding" methods.

Or to put it this way: MP3s will sound better on the RU6 than hi res on the TC35 Pro.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #1,040 of 3,665
Has anyone got any good recommendations please for a really good shielded USB-C to USB-C cable? I'm starting to get a lot of interferance noise from my android phone. It wasn't there before but a little distracting now.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,041 of 3,665
I'm using mine primarily with tablet / phone for video duties and have noticed that it constantly pops when source is paused / played / changed. When there's something playing it's a non issue but rather annoying in between. Is this common?

Also getting significant static interference on both devices at low volume regardless of cable used.

It stands out as I didn't get this with S1...

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #1,042 of 3,665
Hello audiophile :)

Does anyone can compare RU6 with players? What level of sound?

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,043 of 3,665
@Andykong - any plans to update this with new features through firmware? I’ve been thinking about my Cayin N6ii and other Cayin products and I think they have stunning hardware but rarely any software updates. On the other hand , the Lotoo products have had things like MQA, UAC1, and a line out mode through firmware updates. They’ve also been open about what they work on.

Are you planning on adding any features soon?

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,044 of 3,665
I got mine from Jaben Singapore last week. So far the sound is amazing 🤩

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,045 of 3,665
@Andykong - any plans to update this with new features through firmware? I’ve been thinking about my Cayin N6ii and other Cayin products and I think they have stunning hardware but rarely any software updates. On the other hand , the Lotoo products have had things like MQA, UAC1, and a line out mode through firmware updates. They’ve also been open about what they work on.

Are you planning on adding any features soon?

Just thinking out loud, firmware updates are either to fix bugs or to add/unlock features already supported by the hardware. Of course, I can't speak on Cayin behalf, but I don't think there are any more hidden tricks left up their hardwares sleeve? Mqa, uac1 mode, and LO (?) was already mentioned as no. So, what else is left out there?

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,046 of 3,665
Cool! Posted my Cayin RU6 on the classifieds in case anyone is interested.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/cayin-ru6.16536/

Just couldn’t figure out where it fit in my stable against the Woo Audio WA7 3rd Gen, Cayin N6ii with R01, Chord Mojo, or Lotoo S1. My two headphones are the Audeze LCD-5 and the Sennheiser IE900. I value bass, soundstage, transient speed, and detail. Love classical and electronic.

There was just no scenario where I could opt for it against the others. The mojo, N6ii, and WA7 all felt a tier above. The Lotoo is just so versatile.

FA0BC427-F5BB-4EB1-AB5B-CE3B8EDEAD62.jpeg

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,047 of 3,665
Cool! Posted my Cayin RU6 on the classifieds in case anyone is interested.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/cayin-ru6.16536/

Just couldn’t figure out where it fit in my stable against the Woo Audio WA7 3rd Gen, Cayin N6ii with R01, Chord Mojo, or Lotoo S1. My two headphones are the Audeze LCD-5 and the Sennheiser IE900. I value bass, soundstage, transient speed, and detail. Love classical and electronic.

There was just no scenario where I could opt for it against the others. The mojo, N6ii, and WA7 all felt a tier above. The Lotoo is just so versatile.

FA0BC427-F5BB-4EB1-AB5B-CE3B8EDEAD62.jpeg
You already have N6ii with R01 module. I don’t see the point of you keeping it.

Dec 18, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,048 of 3,665
Just thinking out loud, firmware updates are either to fix bugs or to add/unlock features already supported by the hardware. Of course, I can't speak on Cayin behalf, but I don't think there are any more hidden tricks left up their hardwares sleeve? Mqa, uac1 mode, and LO (?) was already mentioned as no. So, what else is left out there?
Also confirmed no on-device EQ can be added nor can the volume step behavior be changed.

Dec 18, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,049 of 3,665
Yup - especially if no features are coming with firmware. Was hoping to use it with other devices, but amp section isn’t as strong as I need it to be. Secretly was hoping to keep this and sell the N6ii.

Dec 18, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,050 of 3,665
This. You will probably hear a difference between the two Dongles, but not between the different MQA "unfolding" methods.

Or to put it this way: MP3s will sound better on the RU6 than hi res on the TC35 Pro.
Thanks for this. I was planning on just streaming on the iPad and iPhone and keeping my 1tb of DSD / FLAC on my DAC microsd, since neither phone nor iPad have or otherwise need that storage capacity. Andy’s response had me read more into MQA such as the “deep dive” article and so I’m of course disappointed. So if I want highest quality streaming without MQA encoding, to send the highest quality sound to the RU6, which service would everyone recommend? Ugh… new playlists

Users who are viewing this thread

Back