Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #4,666 of 5,571
It is a problem on Cayin's side. Doesn't only happen with these Sonys either. The experience was so poor that I gave up on the idea altogether.

I hope this can be fixed in the next substantial firmware update (which has taken a long while to appear by the way);

Perhaps it we dream a little it could maybe, potentially have something to do with Roon support...

I also can't help but notice that iBasso are supporting my former DAP (M17) with updates far more frequently versus Cayin.
Maybe iBasso needs them more than Cayin does, or shall we say N8ii's still waters run deep...

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4,668 of 5,571
20220825_011127.jpg

New grounding plug to N8ii. Grounding by 3.5MM.

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,671 of 5,571
So far I can say it's the best delta sigma DAP I've ever heard, I expected less to be honest.

Attachments

• 20220825_154552.jpg
    20220825_154552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 26, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,672 of 5,571
One thing I'm not entirely satisfied with the N8-ii, both tube mode and class A are much worse than in the C9 amp, I expected just as good juicy tubes colored effect from switching from SS to Tubes, that doesn't happen in the N8-ii, I find tubes useless here,I hear little difference than microdynamic being decreased.
class A is not so bad, but in any case this is also a little worse than in C9. So those who thought to get rid of the C9 and buy the N8-ii instead as an all in one device, just forget it :)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #4,673 of 5,571
I‘d like to summarize my findings regarding hooking up the N8ii to a computer, which means Windows and Linux boxes. Sorry, can‘t speak for Mac.

A) Use N8ii as USB-DAC:

1.) Windows 10 and 11 machines: Can‘t speak for these, since I don’t have admin rights on my Win 10 machine in order to install the latest or any Cayin driver. However, @WDitters has provided his experience including the remedies. A.o., use a USB 2.0 port.

2.) Windows 8.1: I can‘t get it to work, not even when using the USB 2.0 port. The latest Cayin driver doesn‘t install, since it requires Win 10 or 11. The ”latest minus 1“ version of the driver as installed perfectly well for my N6ii does not recognize the N8ii, despite Cayin mentioning it should work. Maybe the problem is not with that driver, but with the computer USB port/driver.

3.) Linux: Works perfectly out of the box. Just connect the N8ii to the USB 2.0 port of my (old) Linux box, and it works at once.

B) File transfer between computers and N8ii using a USB connection:

1.) Windows 10: It works right away, Windows 10 sees both the internal and SD card storage. File transfer is fine. Only USB 3.0 present on my Win 10 computer.

2.) Windows 8.1: I cannot get Win 8.1 to see my N8ii, neither via USB 2.0, nor via USB 3.0. Strange, I don‘t know the reason nor a remedy.

Maybe problems A.2 and B.2 are related.

3.) Linux: No Problem at all, works right away out of the box for both USB 2.0 and 3.0 on the computer.

Thus, I‘d like to ask:
- Anybody out there for help?
- @Andykong, is Cayin aware of such findings, (and maybe more comprehensive ones)? And do you have plans / resources for providing remedies via firmware updates?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #4,674 of 5,571
I‘d like to summarize my findings regarding hooking up the N8ii to a computer, which means Windows and Linux boxes. Sorry, can‘t speak for Mac.

A) Use N8ii as USB-DAC:

1.) Windows 10 and 11 machines: Can‘t speak for these, since I don’t have admin rights on my Win 10 machine in order to install the latest or any Cayin driver. However, @WDitters has provided his experience including the remedies. A.o., use a USB 2.0 port.

2.) Windows 8.1: I can‘t get it to work, not even when using the USB 2.0 port. The latest Cayin driver doesn‘t install, since it requires Win 10 or 11. The ”latest minus 1“ version of the driver as installed perfectly well for my N6ii does not recognize the N8ii, despite Cayin mentioning it should work. Maybe the problem is not with that driver, but with the computer USB port/driver.

3.) Linux: Works perfectly out of the box. Just connect the N8ii to the USB 2.0 port of my (old) Linux box, and it works at once.

1.) Windows 10: It works right away, Windows 10 sees both the internal and SD card storage. File transfer is fine. USB 3.0 only on my Win 10 computer.

2.) Windows 8.1: I cannot get Win 8.1 to see my N8ii, neither via USB 2.0, nor via USB 3.0. Strange, I don‘t know the reason nor a remedy.

3.) Linux: No Problem at all, works right away out of the box for both USB 2.0 and 3.0 on the computer.

Thus, I‘d like to ask:
- @Andykong, is Cayin aware of such findings, (and maybe more comprehensive ones)? And do you have plans / resources for providing remedies via firmware updates?

For Windows 8.1 file transfer can you try the Samsung USB driver? https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #4,675 of 5,571
For Windows 8.1 file transfer can you try the Samsung USB driver? https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver
Thanks! I‘ll give it a try.

I guess I‘ll better mention it myself: Yes, Windows 8.1 is officially pronounced dead by next January. I am still pondering my options: (a) Continue running it nevertheless; (b) install Windows 10 on that 11 years old HP laptop and gamble as to whether all device drivers being 8.1 or even 7 will continue to work properly; (c) finally bite the bullet and invest ≈2 k€ in a new laptop by a good brand … …

Luckily, my other HP laptop despite being 9 years old keeps running Linux soooo very happily. And it does that even for openSUSE Tumbleweed, a rolling release with cutting and sometimes bleeding edge latest software. And its resources (speed, storage …) are way ahead of any daily needs, even ahead of once-in-a-month needs. Enough advertising done …

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #4,676 of 5,571
One thing I'm not entirely satisfied with the N8-ii, both tube mode and class A are much worse than in the C9 amp, I expected just as good juicy tubes colored effect from switching from SS to Tubes, that doesn't happen in the N8-ii, I find tubes useless here,I hear little difference than microdynamic being decreased.
class A is not so bad, but in any case this is also a little worse than in C9. So those who thought to get rid of the C9 and buy the N8-ii instead as an all in one device, just forget it :)
I am hearing the same exact thing out of mine. I thought it was just me, but I actually prefer SS with my IER-Z1R. The DAP sounds awesome but I just don't hear a huge difference between tube and SS with my IEMs. I need to hear it hooked up to a C9 I guess. :dt880smile:

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4,677 of 5,571

A) Use N8ii as USB-DAC:

1.) Windows 10: It works right away, Windows 10 sees both the internal and SD card storage. File transfer is fine. Only USB 3.0 present on my Win 10 computer.

Thus, I‘d like to ask:

We have clarified that N8ii is only compatible with Windows 10 and 11, and Cayin will focus our support on Windows 10 and 11 when we announce USB Audio Driver V5.30 (Mar 28, 2022)

By the way, have you tried connecting N8ii with your WIn10 and Win11 PC for USB Audio application? Windows has included USB Audio Driver 2.0 in Windows 10 and 11, most users can use the N8ii as USB DAC with Microsoft's native USB Audio Driver. Unfortunately, some advanced features such as ASIO are absent, the Cayin USB Audio Driver V5.3 fills that gap and provides better optimisation with USB Audio feature of N8ii

By the way, which version of USB Driver have you installed with ou Windows 8/8.1 PC? YOu should install V4.86 for Windows 8 and 8.1 systems. the latest USB Audio Driver v5.30 is not compatible with Windows 8 and 8.1, they are developed for Windows 10 and 11 exclusiverly.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 27, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #4,678 of 5,571

Please check out our explanation on Nutube implementation of N8ii HERE. I had included this link in the N8ii FQA on page 1.

"Based on the feedback from dealers and users on N8 and C9, and our observations to market response in past 10 years (Cayin entered Personal Audio market since 2013), we adopt Zero Gain Negative Feedback Loop circuit in N8ii design. This will deliver strong current and impressive handling at difficult loads. We have adjusted the feedback loop carefully to enhance the transparency, transient, and extension that can rival the best solid-state circuit but yet remain warm and mellow.

To a certain extent, Zero Gain Negative Feedback Loop is not a design that is preferred by typical tube enthusiasts because this offers less tube flavor relatively. However, we believe this is more in line with the market preference as portable DAP users tend to appreciate transparent, crispy, and well-defined presentations with a faster transient. In our opinion, there is no right and wrong on these issues. The vacuum tube is the mean, not the end, therefore maximizing tube flavor is not necessarily the most important objective. It’s our duty, as a vendor, to understand the market we serve and provide options for the bigger crowd's needs."

We make the decision NOT TO maximize the tube flavor in N8ii implementation and we explained our compromise when we announce the N8ii, all the way back on 24 Feb 2022). If audio preference prefers maximum tube flavor, C9 is indeed a better choice. I believe we have a lot of discussion along this line during the first month of product announcement.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 27, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #4,679 of 5,571
Please check out our explanation on Nutube implementation of N8ii HERE. I had included this link in the N8ii FQA on page 1.

"Based on the feedback from dealers and users on N8 and C9, and our observations to market response in past 10 years (Cayin entered Personal Audio market since 2013), we adopt Zero Gain Negative Feedback Loop circuit in N8ii design. This will deliver strong current and impressive handling at difficult loads. We have adjusted the feedback loop carefully to enhance the transparency, transient, and extension that can rival the best solid-state circuit but yet remain warm and mellow.

To a certain extent, Zero Gain Negative Feedback Loop is not a design that is preferred by typical tube enthusiasts because this offers less tube flavor relatively. However, we believe this is more in line with the market preference as portable DAP users tend to appreciate transparent, crispy, and well-defined presentations with a faster transient. In our opinion, there is no right and wrong on these issues. The vacuum tube is the mean, not the end, therefore maximizing tube flavor is not necessarily the most important objective. It’s our duty, as a vendor, to understand the market we serve and provide options for the bigger crowd's needs."

We make the decision NOT TO maximize the tube flavor in N8ii implementation and we explained our compromise when we announce the N8ii, all the way back on 24 Feb 2022). If audio preference prefers maximum tube flavor, C9 is indeed a better choice. I believe we have a lot of discussion along this line during the first month of product announcement.
Thanks for the explanation! I'm so happy with SS mode on N8-ii that I can't complain about anything, C9 is a solution for tube lovers, that's for sure :)

Aug 27, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #4,680 of 5,571
I believe we have a lot of discussion along this line during the first month of product announcement.
I’m with you Andy. It’s better for people who have interest in or just bought this product to thoroughly read the thread. There’s lots of info already.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back