Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 4, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #2,551 of 5,571
How about n8ii compared to FiiO M17 and Shanling M30?

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,553 of 5,571
Apr 4, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #2,555 of 5,571
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #2,556 of 5,571
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before however I cannot seem to run the USB Audio Player PRO app on the N8ii. It just says that "No USB Audio DAC was detected" and no music is able to be played. I am running the N8ii on the latest firmware and UAPP is up to date. Any ideas on how to fix this or is UAPP just not compatible with the N8ii at this stage?

Just following up on my previous post as I didn't see any responses yet. Can someone please help me with my issue? I just would like to know if anyone is able to use UAPP with the Cayin N8ii? I am currently unable to do so because the N8ii does not detect the USB Audio DAC. I am using it with the following settings: P+, Tube mode & Class AB.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #2,557 of 5,571
I am sorry that I offended you.

The charging for the battery is limited at 50C internally. Because Lithium can be damaged, or burned when having excessive heat. This is Industrial standard

The chassis is a heat sink, and it can not conduct 100% heat. Let’s take 20% away and that is 45C. So, just as long as you feel and measure 45C, the player stop charging

Then the case isn’t a heat conductive materials, and let’s give it a 50% of heat conductions. Giving the ambient room temperature of a comfortably warm level of 37C. The differences from 45-37 = 8. And we accounted a 50% ineffectiveness of thermal conduction by the case. You will only see the case warmed up by 4C, or measured with case on at 41C.

So then, every time your N8ii staying inside a stock protective case, and feeling slightly warmer to the touch AKA 4C higher than Room temperature. The N8ii just stop charging during playback. Because this is protective mechanism.

Here is where firmware can tackle. There are always 20% tolerances of these parameters. Where I previously told @Andykong that the N8ii may be having a low thermal protection and charging protocols Vs other DAPs. In fact, you can charge the Li-ion at as high as 60C. This can allow more room for people to charge and play together. But it isn’t a reliable or safe protocols. It also mean that the Thermal sensor inside the player could have been allowed the lower tolerances of 20%. For example, instead of 50C to stop charging. The Thermal sensor by the firmware could have been at a lower point of internally 40C to trigger, which makes people thinking that the N8ii stopped charging “easier” than other players which “easily feel hotter”. Yes, it is subjective. But these measurements are objectives.

There are other ways to tackle with Heat issues and charging protocols. Again, there are Zero charging problems on the N8ii.

Cayin side:
they can allow a higher temp charging parameters. But this will be based a lot on ambient temperatures and users unique use cases, which can be dangerous. Because every technical datas inside the N8ii generate a lot of heat
Cayin can also do a new batch of N8ii by redesigning the LDO and lower the voltages slightly, which will alter the overall system a bit. I do not want to see this happen.

User side : They can try to understand the N8ii better that it generates heat easily with all the components inside, working desktop level, dedicated to performances. That everything can easily trap heat inside the N8ii, and for safety measurements together with longevity, the N8ii is sensitive to temperature and can trigger protective measurements easier.

Just as long as the users can accept this fact, and allow the N8ii to operate in a cool operating conditions, then the users will be safer, and the player will last longer, together with the ability to charge and play simultaneously.

Once again, having the N8ii inside the leather case, you may not feel the generated heat, but the N8ii will stop charging and playing simultaneously. This is it safe protocols
FWIW
This product has such a phenomenal audio performance that I handle it with care.
First I have not had a single issue with mine since it arrived and I have put many weeks on it. Having said that I never charge and play just for a faster burn-in, I charge then play until down to about 7% then charge again then play, and I enjoyed the burn-in process hearing the initial character and the blossoming into its full performance.
Also many mobile device manufacturers actually don't even allow charging and usage at the same time talk less of this product housing 2 tubes... ..Enjoy slowly and enjoy long 😉

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #2,558 of 5,571
FWIW
This product has such a phenomenal audio performance that I handle it with care.
First I have not had a single issue with mine since it arrived and I have put many weeks on it. Having said that I never charge and play just for a faster burn-in, I charge then play until down to about 7% then charge again then play, and I enjoyed the burn-in process hearing the initial character and the blossoming into its full performance.
Also many mobile device manufacturers actually don't even allow charging and usage at the same time talk less of this product housing 2 tubes... ..Enjoy slowly and enjoy long 😉
Agreed!

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,559 of 5,571
Just following up on my previous post as I didn't see any responses yet. Can someone please help me with my issue? I just would like to know if anyone is able to use UAPP with the Cayin N8ii? I am currently unable to do so because the N8ii does not detect the USB Audio DAC. I am using it with the following settings: P+, Tube mode & Class AB.

Thanks in advance!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ully-bal-nutube.961041/page-104#post-16868078

There has been 2 updates to uAPP since that post, so it may be fully supported now, idk. I've been using UAPP since i got N8ii. Seems stable enough. No issues.

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2,560 of 5,571
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #2,561 of 5,571
So the SP2000 was my favorite. I also love my SP2Kt. This N8ii needs more hours on it. It is certainly a TOTL offering, but my signature line applies. The signature may not be everyone's favorite and that is a-ok!

I will post some impressions, for those that care, once I have given it a fair amount of burn-in and time to familiarize.

So glad to have different flavors to choose from.

As previously stated, I wrote a not so favorable review 5 years of a Cayin product and I can already say, this is a wonderful DAP. It just needs more time to season.
Personally, I think SP2000 cannot be compared to the N8ii. I feel they are trying to achieve different sounds for different listeners. Have you heard the Lp6TI

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #2,562 of 5,571
Group, just curious if anyone has had success using 1GB cards with their N8ii? I saw some conversation about it earlier in the thread but can't find it. For context, I tried the SanDisk 1TB Extreme card, but it's not being recognized. I am aware that the manual says cards up to 512GB are compatible so that might be the easy answer to my issue right there (and my SanDisk Extreme 512G is working great), but I could've sworn folks were happily using larger cards, so I was curious on the details.

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #2,563 of 5,571
Group, just curious if anyone has had success using 1GB cards with their N8ii? I saw some conversation about it earlier in the thread but can't find it. For context, I tried the SanDisk 1TB Extreme card, but it's not being recognized. I am aware that the manual says cards up to 512GB are compatible so that might be the easy answer to my issue right there (and my SanDisk Extreme 512G is working great), but I could've sworn folks were happily using larger cards, so I was curious on the details.
I am using micron 1TB no problem

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #2,565 of 5,571
SanDisk 1TB Extreme here too. No problems though. I pulled it out of my N6ii and ran it. No reformat or anything, might be the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back