Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 31, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #2,431 of 5,571
You can just stick a toe in if you want. No need to be full on in any camp. Have no allegiance.

Local files sound better overall, but I just don't have the cash to swing all the music I'd need to buy to be comfortable w/o having a never ending streaming library.
Got lazy 10 years ago and stopped buying and ripping CD's and now too much time and albums have passed.
Streaming is a long use shopping cart for me basically. And with Qobuz, the subscription pays for itself with the purchase discounts you get. I am on the flying start tier, ha.
I understand. I have terabytes of high res, but I am an impulsive music buyer.

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #2,432 of 5,571
I wonder if I am the only one with this issue: The N8ii will shut down by itself, even when full battery and room temperature (cause was idle) (idle shutdown option is off)
And it doesn't start after that, whatever how long I could press the power button.
If I plug USB to charge, then it starts. (while it was 100% battery, not a display glitch)

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #2,433 of 5,571
I wonder if I am the only one with this issue: The N8ii will shut down by itself, even when full battery and room temperature (cause was idle) (idle shutdown option is off)
And it doesn't start after that, whatever how long I could press the power button.
If I plug USB to charge, then it starts. (while it was 100% battery, not a display glitch)

My guess is the 100% battery reading is wrong, your N8ii has run out of battery completely, but the battery reading won't rectify until the N8ii reboot and complete the initialisation process. If the actual battery capacity is 0, that explains why you can't restart your N8ii no matter how long you press the power button

The incorrect battery reading is a known bug reported earlier and we are working on it.

I suggest you plug in your USB charger and leave it for 3-4 hours, let the batery charge up slowly and then reboot the DAP.

By the way, are you located in Japan? I thought there wer delay in the shipping from HK to Japan, glad to know N8ii is available in Japan now.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 1, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #2,434 of 5,571
Well my N8ii arrived 2 days ago and after a couple of false starts with scanning my SD card which was a Micron one I switched back to a San Disk one and all is fully operation. I am very impressed with it right out of the box. However when I connected it to my C9 I was blown away, the best sound I have ever heard from a DAP + C9. Way better than the DX300Max + C9. Most recently I have been listening to my N6I Ti & R01 which I love for its organic analogue sound, but the N8ii is just so much bigger and deeper. The background is so black and the vocals sound so live. I have been listening on iBasso IT07 and Sony IER-Z1R IEMs. I can’t wait to see how it sounds as it burns in. I will report back soon.

Apr 1, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #2,435 of 5,571
Well my N8ii arrived 2 days ago and after a couple of false starts with scanning my SD card which was a Micron one I switched back to a San Disk one and all is fully operation. I am very impressed with it right out of the box. However when I connected it to my C9 I was blown away, the best sound I have ever heard from a DAP + C9. Way better than the DX300Max + C9. Most recently I have been listening to my N6I Ti & R01 which I love for its organic analogue sound, but the N8ii is just so much bigger and deeper. The background is so black and the vocals sound so live. I have been listening on iBasso IT07 and Sony IER-Z1R IEMs. I can’t wait to see how it sounds as it burns in. I will report back soon.
ier-z1r and n8ii are perfect match

Apr 1, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #2,436 of 5,571
Yes, when it passes 150 hours, you will not be having much of those sharp trebles, and unforgiving harshness in bad recordings as much as when it was from 5-150 hours. Basically, out of the box it sounded superb, after 5 hours or so, it started to be very unforgiving toward bad recordings. Mine is continuing to change but Not as obvious as that period
Interesting! I had the opposite experience. I noticed harshness and sibilance from my initial listen, but that passed after a few hours and now it’s very smooth in the upper frequencies.

Apr 1, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #2,437 of 5,571
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before however I cannot seem to run the USB Audio Player PRO app on the N8ii. It just says that "No USB Audio DAC was detected" and no music is able to be played. I am running the N8ii on the latest firmware and UAPP is up to date. Any ideas on how to fix this or is UAPP just not compatible with the N8ii at this stage?

Apr 1, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #2,438 of 5,571
Interesting! I had the opposite experience. I noticed harshness and sibilance from my initial listen, but that passed after a few hours and now it’s very smooth in the upper frequencies.
I have just a few hours on mine. It has been 5 years since I have revisited Cayin after a not so positive review I wrote. A lot has changed for Cayin over 5 years and this unit seemed to be the one I finally wanted to try again. I am going to reserve comments on the sound since I do not think it is fair to publish comments on a quick listen and many times these comments become gospel and I know things can change. Build quality is very nice. At this point, I hear zero coloration of the sound, but I can see where this DAP could accentuate upper mids, not because of changing the characteristics of the IEM/HP but because of its dynamics and power, particularly in P+ mode. 20220329_200522.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #2,439 of 5,571
I have just a few hours on mine. It has been 5 years since I have revisited Cayin after a not so positive review I wrote. A lot has changed for Cayin over 5 years and this unit seemed to be the one I finally wanted to try again. I am going to reserve comments on the sound since I do not think it is fair to publish comments on a quick listen and many times these comments become gospel and I know things can change. Build quality is very nice. At this point, I hear zero coloration of the sound, but I can see where this DAP could accentuate upper mids, not because of changing the characteristics of the IEM/HP but because of its dynamics and power, particularly in P+ mode.
Nice! Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts once you’ve spent more time with it :)

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #2,443 of 5,571
It froze here, sound stopped, its still doing something cause it does not get cooler.

IMG_0959.jpeg
And holding power button for 20-30sec does nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back