Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #2,371 of 5,571
I guess if I have to ask what Roon is, I am behind the curve on these types of DAPs.
If you have to ask what Roon is, you are behind on music enjoyment in general haha... It's OK, it's not for everyone. :)

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #2,372 of 5,571
I guess if I have to ask what Roon is, I am behind the curve on these types of DAPs.
You and me both :wink:. I rather have my music stored, even if it is multiple cards, I can deal with carrying 1Tb of them and biking around, rather than staying around the house and bother with WiFi signal. Though, I hear that whoever is dealing with this, also is looking for a way to improve their wireless audio performances, apparently, the router and it power supply also effect the wireless performances significantly (including noises, better performances....etc...) which I assure you that I don’t want to touch

i think I came across some Ethernet cables that was in the thousands, which improves sound performances too ?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #2,373 of 5,571
You and me both :wink:. I rather have my music stored, even if it is multiple cards, I can deal with carrying 1Tb of them and biking around, rather than staying around the house and bother with WiFi signal. Though, I hear that whoever is dealing with this, also is looking for a way to improve their wireless audio performances, apparently, the router and it power supply also effect the wireless performances significantly (including noises, better performances....etc...) which I assure you that I don’t want to touch

i think I came across some Ethernet cables that was in the thousands, which improves sound performances too ?
I will just keep getting my batteries replaced in the devices I own, even if I have to find somebody on this site to do it. I just have no interest whatsoever in streaming. I like the feel of my 12TB external hard drives in my hands. I would like to try the N8ii, but I will not be streaming with it.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #2,374 of 5,571
On the subject of streaming, I found out that Apple Music on N8ii sounds very very good indeed compared to my R8. The sound is much cleaner, no roughness/coarseness (which oftentimes I encounter on R8’s Apple Music) and overall it does sound very “high-end”. I don’t know whether it’s the software or hardware implementation, but it’s just so good.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #2,375 of 5,571
If you have to ask what Roon is, you are behind on music enjoyment in general haha... It's OK, it's not for everyone. :)
My SanDisk Extreme Pro micro SD cards sound pretty awesome. No hiccups yet... I just don't like relying on Wi-Fi or the internet if somebody decides to shut down the Internet for some ungodly reason.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2,376 of 5,571
@Andykong . I have no other ways to get to know these, and need your helps. I hear, observe and witness the amazing tuning of the N8ii, which is the result of the analog implementations, that is after the DAC, and starting as soon as the LPF, to the De/coupling, bypass, capacitors, resistors, transistors....etc...

May I know more in details ? Which is the Decoupling capacitors ? Anything specials about them ? Even a picture would suffice lol! What are hand matched ?

All I know is that Cayin in the marketing slides, mentioned that the components are hand matched. To many people who isn’t into DIY, Hand-matched means that each components are hand picked by measurements, during a process of which components are shorted by the similar and close parameters with the differences of 5-10% tolerances, or even tighter. This process is very time consuming, and also expensive as it is labor intensive as well. Normally, it is only done for very high-end and luxurious devices. This process is one of the treasure that Us DIY people love and desire as well.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,377 of 5,571
On the subject of streaming, I found out that Apple Music on N8ii sounds very very good indeed compared to my R8. The sound is much cleaner, no roughness/coarseness (which oftentimes I encounter on R8’s Apple Music) and overall it does sound very “high-end”. I don’t know whether it’s the software or hardware implementation, but it’s just so good.
This was one of the reason why earlier, I asked @Andykong about the FPGA being used in the N8ii. The FPGA was disclosed as a “error corrections, and time/phase corrections algorithm“. The better this FPGA is, the better your PCM will be, also DSD and others, but all of PCM in formats, which is related to Multibits processing , will indeed be indulging in a better performances. It is like an interpreter, the faster, the better, the more accurate, the interpreter, the better the translations would be

So, all the multibits would mean, FLAC/WAV...etc....Streaming over WiFi/Bluetooth.....etc...will be improved greatly, which we all can observe, and attested to already. It would be nice to know more about this FPGA. But, I also would understand it if Cayin want to keep it as a trade secret as well

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,378 of 5,571
Personally hate Roon, installed in my over 6 figure listening room and returned within 2-3 weeks. Such a constant pain with nothing wanting to work with it. Sounded less then stellar with Dave and Nautilus speaker set up, even tidal streamed or Qobuz streamed sounded better at times. But stored music was always better.

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #2,379 of 5,571
My SanDisk Extreme Pro micro SD cards sound pretty awesome. No hiccups yet... I just don't like relying on Wi-Fi or the internet if somebody decides to shut down the Internet for some ungodly reason.
Roon integrates online and offline music. It's not limited to streaming sources at all. But yes, you need wifi, and it's limited to your house. It's ideal if you use both online and offline sources, are interested in enriched content about the music, have multiple listening spots in the house, and like to EQ. Sounds like it's not for you though, and that's fine of course.
Personally hate Roon, installed in my over 6 figure listening room and returned within 2-3 weeks. Such a constant pain with nothing wanting to work with it. Sounded less then stellar with Dave and Nautilus speaker set up, even tidal streamed or Qobuz streamed sounded better at times. But stored music was always better.
It works flawlessly for me, I'm a customer for life. But I'll stop, I'm starting to sound like a Roon salesman..😁

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #2,381 of 5,571
My comparison is pretty simple, one can call it from my memory, but the fact is that I couldn’t bare having SP2K for 3 weeks, let alone enjoying it. That is enough for me to say the N8ii is superior :wink:.

On a technical side, SP2000 didn’t have korg tube, and SP2000-T is an attempt to copy the original N8. The N8ii has Dual Korg tubes with an ingenious design, and to me, that is another superiority.

However, in another example, I can also make your life harder by asking you to compare A/B, taking picture to prove that you have it, and then in the end, I will just claim that it is just your preferences that matter, and I will always prefer my SP2K.

After all, when one is satisfied and settled down, then in their world, it is the best in the world, period. That is why there is committed husband and wife. Such commitment and settlement also deserve respects. I actually respect people who choose to settle with something and not to move on and spend more money. The more one spend, is the more they Lose, period. But I can say pretty much that, the N8ii will be my settlement for a long while, because it has everything I want from a portable players, even if it has it Cons

Easily heating up, Chunky in sizes, Heavy in weight VS Great heat dissipations done by using the chassis as a heat sink, 10,000mAH battery pack, Dual Korg tubes (again, amazing! Korg Tube Omega!), True Line out for both SingleEnded and Balanced. Also the most appealing, eyes catching, candies in appearances. I don’t have problems with portable players that generate heats.....I do have problems with players that generate Trapped heat. The N8ii is amazing in it ability to dissipate heat by the back, just simply laying it atop some cool surfaces and it does wonderful!
If memory is valid, then I can say that I had the n8 and sp1000 at the same time and yes the n8 was better, but by memory the sp2000cu is way better, I believe that the N8II is great I allways liked Cayin, is trusted brand,with top quality products, see, this almost sponsored criticism with allways one target (AK) is no good, by other point of view been the sp2000 allways a shooting target even past almost 3 years since the it cames out must mean something, I think that musicteck should start to sell AK that way faithful costumers can have a discount to.....this constant change in tuning tastes is confusing me too, a dap cames out and it's warm is musical is thick and dense and is the best in the world (with the condition that is not AK..... Woowwww overpriced) them another cames out with a more analitycal sound more sharp more open and wait now this is the best of the world....

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #2,384 of 5,571
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,385 of 5,571
Would highly recommend to paste screen protector on the back if it does not hinder with the cooling of the player. My heart breaks seeing all the scratches, would only blame myself for taking away the plastic flim when just received the player.
20220330_233610.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back