Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Dec 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #196 of 1,977
In fact there are THREE version of AK100, namely AK100, AK100mk2, and AK100II. Among the three, AK100 and AK100mk2 were very similar and the most noticeable different is the output impedance dropped from 22ohm to 3ohm.

If you are referring to the original 22 ohm AK100, I'll suggest you to look otherwise, the 22ohm output impedance had been an issue as technically the output impedance of the your player should be lower then the rated impedance of your headphone. Industrial expert even stated that your headphone will perform best when the output impedance of your DAP is at least 1/8 that of your headphone impedance. So for instance if your IEMs are 16 ohms, the output impedance of your DAP should be 2 ohm or less. When AK100 was rated at 22ohm, you can expect the low impedance multi-BA IEMs are not pairing well.

AK100 is also not the best choice if you intend to hook up with a portable amplifier. The main problem is AK100 lack a dedicated line out connection. To connect with a portable amp., you are actually connected to the headphone output of AK100 and used that as a very low impedance "line out" when the volume is set to max. In my opinion, this is not as clean as a dedicated line out (that you can find in N6), in fact a lot of AK100 users finally resort to mod the player because of the 22ohm and line out issue, and that's where the famous RWAK100 came from:

http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak100

The AK100mk2 has rectified the output impedance problem but the line one problem remain untouched.

Thanks for the info Andy.  Think I'm heading towards an N6, but want to avoid the early model serial nos that have had issues. Plus if I order from Shenzhen Audio in China, which courier do you think is most reliable?

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #197 of 1,977

No apologies my friend. 

The hobby does wonders to the wallet and we should discover as much as we can before pursuing it.

That said, there are many factors determining the purchase decision, and sound quality is just one of them. Depending on our appetite and threshold for different user interfaces and how we want a player to work, may just go for a compromise in sound. There's no wrong in that too. For me, the AK100 went 90% there with the technicalities, great user interface, dual microSD card slot and all that. But the sound presentation is technically good as it was, didn't get me to enjoy my music. Lack in dynamics and musicality, a "cold" feeling in the vocals, left me wanting.

If i have to be more precise, the Cayin N6 took the best of the AK100 and Fiio X5, married their best traits and then added some, to give the N6 sound.
I get all the technicalities of the AK100, and the dynamics, musicality and soul of the X5. The increase in vocal and instrument separation and imaging, took the enjoyment to even greater high.

Unfortunately, i have yet to have the pleasure of trying the Cayin C5. If i do, will give an update. Read in the other thread, the C5 is quite the marvel of a portable amp. 
smile.gif

Thanks Kenz I just don't want to drive people nuts lol by asking too many questions and going round in a few circles lol.

Cheers for your thoughts- I def want a warmer, smoother musical sound like that of my NFB-15 (I'm listening to it now with my Alpha Primes it's a great setup) .  So if Cayin N6 will give me that over the other options I'll go for it. I'll sleep on it tonight and order tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #200 of 1,977
Sadly I'm giving N6 a miss this time round, just too dear & too much of a risk.  I've a Fiio X5 & iBasso DX50 on order to test side by side with a Cayin C5.  I think it will be the DX50 that I keep, but wanted to test to be sure.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #201 of 1,977
  Sadly I'm giving N6 a miss this time round, just too dear & too much of a risk.  I've a Fiio X5 & iBasso DX50 on order to test side by side with a Cayin C5.  I think it will be the DX50 that I keep, but wanted to test to be sure.

Dozens of people on head-fi have commented about X5 being by far superior to DX50, and typically everybody compares X5 to DX90 with a split opinion.  N6 should be above all of them
wink.gif
  If you already have X5 and want to save money, C5 is a great addition.  But if you are planning to spend $550 for DAP/amp/cable combo, why not get N6 instead?

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #202 of 1,977

Dozens of people on head-fi have commented about X5 being by far superior to DX50, and typically everybody compares X5 to DX90 with a split opinion.  N6 should be above all of them
wink.gif
  If you already have X5 and want to save money, C5 is a great addition.  But if you are planning to spend $550 for DAP/amp/cable combo, why not get N6 instead?

Thx for your advice. OK will give X5 a listen before DX50. As this is for primarily transport purposes 90% of the time, I thought paying £399 for just N6 was too dear because I'm pairing a DAP with an NFB-15 and alpha prime headphones (I want my nfb15 dac to give me the sound signature), so wouldn't have wanted to spend £400 then look at an amp for a better portable listening experience which would've pushed up to £500 which is too much for my intended use.

Also, I have no idea where in UK to get a suitable coax cable to use with either x5 or dx50 with my nfb15.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #203 of 1,977

I'm so. Surprised you'd choose the dx50 over the X5 because the X5 is almost unanimously praised over the dx50 in sound quality and build.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #205 of 1,977
I'm so. Surprised you'd choose the dx50 over the X5 because the X5 is almost unanimously praised over the dx50 in sound quality and build.

I'm keeping the X5- it's a great device, I'm very pleased with it. The DX50 outer packaging arrived damaged with a load of sellotape holding vita together so it's going back without even bothering to demo. Looking forward to my Cayin C5 arriving in a few days time.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #206 of 1,977
Andykong has posted his impressions in Chinese on post #315 on http://www.post76.com/x2/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=202134&extra=&highlight=cayin%2Bn6&page=32

Positive comments on the N6. I look forward to the English version here on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back