Cayin N5ii vs Onkyo DP-X1A vs A&K AK7Oii
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Matty87

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice on an upgrade I want to pull the trigger on: updating from my iBasso DX50/ Fiio X3ii.

I am 100% open to suggestions other than what I have shortlisted so far, I am hoping to stay at around the $800 AUD mark without going too much over.

My aim is to find a good pairing for my new Beyer T5Pii's.

I am considering:

1. Cayin N5II ($549 AUD) - attracted to this for the price and relatively good reviews
2. Onkyo DP-X1A ($669 AUD) - this got my attention due to price for dual DAC hardware
3. A & K AK70ii ($899 AUD) - again dual DAC, excellent reviews however is it worth the extra $?

I should also mention that I am looking to get a 2.5mm balanced cable for the T5Pii. All of the above have this option.

I also wanted to ask if the single DAC in the Cayin negatively affects the balanced output there (sorry I have no experience with balanced rigs)?

Sound-wise I enjoy separation, soundstage and most importantly punchy but tight bass. EQ options are a must.

Thank you guys, stay safe!

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi, the same situation for me. Have T5P 2nd with dx50 and looking for some improvement. Thinking of Cayin N5II too. Maybe this is the best solution. But how is Cayin N5II with T5P 2nd playing together???

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 8
I just went through this process, I also had the Hiby 6 and Sony zx300 on the list. I don’t have the T5p but I do use a pair of T90s which have a the strong Beyer house sound, plus Elears and Andromedas.

I ended up going with the zx300a (I think it’s hard to get the a in Australia) primarily because the battery life in it is just absurdly better than all the competition while having great sound quality. The compromise is it doesn’t do streaming at all - but if I need that then I can stream from my phone while on the move. It’s just great sound and a microSD slot really :)

If you don’t need streaming I think the zx300 is a great option, and if you can pick up the A version is amazing value imo.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey autur. I did and I ended up going with a Cowon Plenue R I found for a good price. Should be arriving soon!

Out of interest, which of the two that you mention do you prefer and why?

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Sure-- I bought the Cayin N5ii and was disappointed with the display quality as the colors were very inaccurate, and I also didn't like the lack of android customization (it's a custom OS), such as the ability to boot to the homescreen rather than the native player --- two areas where the DP-X1 excels. I use Tidal currently, so being able to choose between streaming apps and local music upon boot is a must. Strictly on the basis of sound quality, the N5ii is an excellent option, but since I wasn't completely satisfied with it, I figured that I'd be tempted to sell it once a better DAP came along, so I returned it and bought the DP-X1.

Now, it's not really fair to compare the N5ii with the DP-X1 which originally debuted for twice the cost of the N5ii. It is like comparing the Fiio X5iii with the X7ii or a midfi with a hifi DAP. The reason why they do get compared is because the DP-X1 is now deeply discounted and sells used for the same price as the N5ii, or it could be that it was way overpriced to begin with, but still there is no question that it has much better hardware. The two main drawbacks with the DP-X1 are the design flaw related to the loose headphone jacks, which I won't recount here, and the poor battery life. Those two drawbacks make it a really poor choice for a portable DAP, which requires solid all-round build and good battery. The newer version of the DP-X1 (the DP-X1A) supposedly fixes the headphone jack problem, but I've also read of jacks snapping off on that one, so I wouldnt be in a rush to get it. I think the best option for anyone right now is to just get a used DAP that has good resell value, and wait for better ones to come along later in the year, or get the HiBy R6. The android DAP market is still very young at this point.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Interesting. I came VERY close to buying a Pioneer XDP-300R which to my knowledge is extremely similar to the Onkyo but the only way I can get it for a descent price was eBay from Hong Kong or Japan, and I was concerned about authenticity.

Thanks for taking the time to share the comparison, as I am still looking out for a descently priced Pioneer.

May 21, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Interesting. I came VERY close to buying a Pioneer XDP-300R which to my knowledge is extremely similar to the Onkyo but the only way I can get it for a descent price was eBay from Hong Kong or Japan, and I was concerned about authenticity.

Thanks for taking the time to share the comparison, as I am still looking out for a descently priced Pioneer.
Not so long ago i was actually having the same delimma as you, picking a good android based dap but for me i ended up with the xdp 300r since i was offered one with an included case for just $400. Very good deal indeed! And with the battery issue, i dont see this as a problem since it actually lasts abit less than my phone so im used to having short battery life with my devices lol but when using it as a standalone dap (all connectivity options turned off) its pretty decent! Aside from battery life screen, performance, build and sound are pretty good! Im actually looks very charming imo especially when looking at youtube or videos in general since it kinda has that retro luxurious vibe to it with the big leather edges and that oh so satisfying copper knob.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back