Cayin N5ii or Pioneer Xdp 300r?
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ckdv77

100+ Head-Fier
I'm definately a newbie when it comes to high-end audiophile DAPs. Would like to know experiences with the Cayin N5ii and Pioneer Xdp 300r. Looking to upgrade from a Cowon M2.

I'm not a bass head and listen to classic rock and indie for the most part. Sound quality is my number one priority followed by form factor and battery life. Any other other recommendations at this price point are welcome too. Thanks

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 9
Auditioned both before. I like the Cayin N5 MKii besides its clumsy-looking UI.

I don't like the Xdp300r, it sounds good but a bit bright, more importantly, portability is much better on the N5ii.

If you want a good start, you might want to look at the iBasso DX150, it's ~500 bucks on Amazon US/Canada/UK and if you think about it, it's not too much more expensive than the Xdp300r and cheaper than Cowon M2.

Cowon products don't have good resolution although the timbre is good. But they did release Cowon 2 which has a solid sound quality.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Would you say the Cayin N5ii is more of a neutral sound? What are the advantages of the iBasso DX 150 over the Cayin? Read up a little bit about this player.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Would you say the Cayin N5ii is more of a neutral sound? What are the advantages of the iBasso DX 150 over the Cayin? Read up a little bit about this player.

sound quality is one level ahead. interchantable amp module allows you to get desired ampliication. system ui is a lot nicer. price is acceptable still.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 9
sound quality is one level ahead. interchantable amp module allows you to get desired ampliication. system ui is a lot nicer. price is acceptable still.
Ok. Does it have WiFi streaming available too for the ibasso dx 150. It's something I'm interested in perhaps trying out

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 9
BTW. Sorry about the twenty questions

not a problem bro!
yes, dx150 has wifi and the android system is actually faster, unless you choose n5iis.

dx150 is good at streaming. if you want ultimate streaming experience, i would rather look into fiio q5 though, it sounds very good and borrows the speed and streaming power from your cell phone, making it very nice to use. but i think the dx150 with amp 7 sounds a tad better than the fiio q5 with its stock am3a amp module though.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Wow. Didn't know you could 'borrow' streaming power from your cell phone. So you can swap out amps from the the ibasso, neat. I'm assuming you can choose and change these amps too dependent on your preference of sound signature.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 9
not a problem bro!
yes, dx150 has wifi and the android system is actually faster, unless you choose n5iis.

dx150 is good at streaming. if you want ultimate streaming experience, i would rather look into fiio q5 though, it sounds very good and borrows the speed and streaming power from your cell phone, making it very nice to use. but i think the dx150 with amp 7 sounds a tad better than the fiio q5 with its stock am3a amp module though.
Hey bro.i also look at dx150.is it suit for rock,metal or classic or genres like nightwish perform ? I heard its sound seem warm and smothy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back