Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP vs Ipod classic 5.5
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

moby1974

100+ Head-Fier
Just looking for anyone who had/has a Ipod classic 5.5 (wolfson) who then got a Cayin N3.

Is it better sounding? a noticeable improvement?

thanks

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 4
Guys, seriously, don't bother. I have driven Grados (PS500e,SR80i) and the Focal Spirit One Pro excellently using the 5.5G both amped and unamped.
I went for the Cayin N3 because of the many positive reviews and the great reputation of the AKM Dac used. So it was an intuiging price/performance ratio.
Soundwise, the device is a big disappointment across the board. While details are rendered, there is no sense of coherence. Musicality, authority, dynamics, soundstage are lacking/sacrificed for a sharp, somewhat spiky, compressed rendition that is utterly unsuitable for music.
Lossy vs. Lossless formats did not significantly alter that impression nor did the gain/impedance settings. Equalization made things even worse.
I will keep it only for those lossy, speech-based radio podcasts that I listen to a lot. But my trust in Cayins implementation skills is broken.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Don't know about the N3, but the I5 was a good upgrade.

Night and day difference, No, but the better the headphones and using flac, the difference is there to be heard.

I also got the Cayin C5 amp, wow that thing has some power, LCD-2 through the I5 and C5 is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back