Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #5,896 of 6,317
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #5,897 of 6,317
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #5,899 of 6,317
I’m wondering if there are any tubes you dislike. Could you please list those just for simplicity:)
I have been at this a for a good while, and just know what to look for. I have been through plenty of tubes I don't care for in the past that aren't worth mentioning. I am actually doing everyone a favor by only sharing about tubes I like. That said, I don't really have any more tubes I am interested in, as I have finally found all the one's I was curious about, so there probably won't be any more must haves.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #5,900 of 6,317
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #5,901 of 6,317
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #5,902 of 6,317
They are more transparent/detailed, with a more open and holographic stage. The adapters are this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951739182...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The 6S2S has more "Thereness", than the Mullard.
The ones you shared in the link don't say 6S2S though? Those are '6J5GT PINNACLE NOS VALVE TUBE'. Or was that two different tube comparisons against the Mullards? If so I guess I have a follow up question, which one of those two do you prefer the 6S2S or the 6J5GT :'D

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #5,903 of 6,317
The ones you shared in the link don't say 6S2S though? Those are '6J5GT PINNACLE NOS VALVE TUBE'. Or was that two different tube comparisons against the Mullards? If so I guess I have a follow up question, which one of those two do you prefer the 6S2S or the 6J5GT :'D
It's the exact same tube. 6J5 is the US designation and 6S2S is Russian.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #5,904 of 6,317
How do they sound from a musical timbre/tone perspective? Are they warm or clinical/thin/analytical sounding?

Jeff.
They basically just dissappear and I would call them a "musical neutral". The dynamics and extension at both ends are top notch. They are more neutral than the 6C8C.

I don't do thin, analytical or cold tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #5,905 of 6,317
They basically just dissappear and I would call them a "musical neutral". The dynamics and extension at both ends are top notch. They are more neutral than the 6C8C.

I don't do thin, analytical or cold tubes.
You have great influence on me as I have followed your lead in purchasing GEC/Mullard CV6 tubes and Russian 6C8C tubes. So, I have therefore decided to purchase a quad set of these recommended 6J5GT tubes that are being sold by Langtrex.

Jeff.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #5,906 of 6,317
With these tubes that were made in the 70s the sound is excellent. They have everything and a wonderful punchy bass that is not too warm or overdone. Wonderful female voice and acoustical decay. They have a few hundred hours on them now.

IMG_4185.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #5,907 of 6,317
With these tubes that were made in the 70s the sound is excellent. They have everything and a wonderful punchy bass that is not clouding or overdone. Wonderful email voice and acoustical decay. They have a few hundred hours on them now.

IMG_4185.jpeg
Those Chinese tubes look legit. They have construction that looks like tubes from the 40's and 50's. I keep forgetting about those, and thanks for the reminder.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #5,908 of 6,317
With these tubes that were made in the 70s the sound is excellent. They have everything and a wonderful punchy bass that is not too warm or overdone. Wonderful female voice and acoustical decay. They have a few hundred hours on them now.

IMG_4185.jpeg
Wow, yours look so pristine. The ones I found (VERY cheap on Aliexpress, so maybe there’s my problem) look like the end of Friday shift went to the pub for a few, then realized they missed an order, finished them, THEN rolled them around in an old barn for some reason. Very sketchy looking, yet somehow they work flawlessly, even if the sound is a bit dry for my liking.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #5,909 of 6,317
Wow, yours look so pristine. The ones I found (VERY cheap on Aliexpress, so maybe there’s my problem) look like the end of Friday shift went to the pub for a few, then realized they missed an order, finished them, THEN rolled them around in an old barn for some reason. Very sketchy looking, yet somehow they work flawlessly, even if the sound is a bit dry for my liking

Mine all measure very close and came bulk packed.NOS and natural sounding. These are also very quiet.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #5,910 of 6,317
I'm once again reminded how monumental role in the system power plays.

Many years ago I thought that cables and power are snake oil ... oh boy how wrong I was. I got an old PS Audio Quintet power conditioner, very cheap and not produced for years now (probably it was too good and too cheap to make commercial sense :p ) and it will replace my Niagara and Taga conditioners. The whole system is now on AudioQuest Blizzard cables that are very clean and balanced and open sounding.

It still feels strange to say a power cable is "sounding" in some particular way, but I tried 2 other cheap cables in the last few days and the difference is night and day in terms of transparency and balance.

As always YMMV 🤷‍♂️

If you also use conditioners, what do you have? and what's your power journey?

I would be tempted to try Puritan PSM156 and Niagara 5000, but cost is keeping me away from those so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back