Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #5,851 of 6,317
An update on the amp issue... it seems like its a problem between my dac and the amp... when i move my RCA cable at the amp level the problem follows the cable.. when i change to a different set of RCA cables the problem is still there and follows the cable. So the dac output somehow is not getting along with ha300 rca input. I have to try a different dac now.

I know this probably means nothing. But as a side question. What is your DACs voltage output to the amp via RCAs?

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #5,852 of 6,317
For 300Bs, in my opinion don't bother with anything but the best. I don't usually like to say expensive=best, but the WE and Takatsuki I've heard are just so amazing it'll bring tears to your eyes. Elrog are the others that'll be mentioned. They completely transform the amp into a real hi-fi beast. I've had mid-range, and they were good but the jump from stock tubes wasn't as big. Definitely buy once, cry once - and enjoy the warm, smooth and detailed sound of stock in the meantime.

Rectifiers for me are easy. Get some Japanese grey plates if you can, and enjoy. Stock are fine, and any other 22DE4 I haven't been able to find in 2 years of looking.

As for 6SN7 and it's equivalents, good luck! There's a wealth of information in this thread to tailor the sound to your system and preferences. I for one say look into quads w/adapters - 6J5/6C5, VR135/CV6/6C8C/7193, and more I'm probably forgetting. There is no best tube for these slots in my opinion, just flavours of awesome.

Enjoy the amp! It's a beaut.
Thank you so much @steve468 Question...I also have the Feliks Envy...if I buy the same exact tubes for the HA300 and then use those tube on the Envy...will still be different right? The HA300 I am buying because I want a very lush sound...and to compliment my Feliks Envy...

Thanks for the advice!!!

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #5,853 of 6,317
Good news guys! It wasn't the cayin its my old dac. I switched to an eversolo dac and cayin working perfectly!! WOOOO

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #5,854 of 6,317
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #5,855 of 6,317
Im noticing the treble of the cayin can be a bit hot with certain songs like chill hop stuff compared to my audio gd he9 which is way more relaxed/rolled. I wonder if thats a sign it needs more break in or is that just how it is?

Putting in denafrips terminator helps calm the treble vs the eversolo a6 master edition.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #5,856 of 6,317
Hrm some bad news. It seems the issue where my left channel cuts out with high impedance mode remains with dac and cable swapping. I messaged Zach again. Hopefully thats an easier fix. Hope Zach isnt too annoyed.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #5,857 of 6,317
I would definitely not recommend any Sophia Electric 300B tube as two of mine failed within <3 months of use.

Jeff.
Thanks for the warning, that is a shame, hopefully my SE 274B last longer than that, if not, I might switch to Linlai Global for this rectifier (already got their drivers).

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #5,858 of 6,317
I'm recently trying to max out the SQ of my HA300MK2 and made big gains in treble performance by upgrading the power cable from a cheap Taga to a more expensive AudioQuest Blizzard and moving it from my cheap Taga conditioner to the slightly more expensive AQ Niagara 1200.

I was also rolling Elrog WE and EML XLS and surprisingly I concluded that EML XLS has the most reference (so best in terms of raw SQ) and tightest sound. Of course in the end it's down to preference and synergy with tube choices.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #5,859 of 6,317
Thank you so much @steve468 Question...I also have the Feliks Envy...if I buy the same exact tubes for the HA300 and then use those tube on the Envy...will still be different right? The HA300 I am buying because I want a very lush sound...and to compliment my Feliks Envy...

Thanks for the advice!!!
Eh, you’re in a much better position than me to answer your question! I haven’t ascended to the level of amp rolling for my tubes yet. But now you owe us an amp comparison at some point :)
I'm recently trying to max out the SQ of my HA300MK2 and made big gains in treble performance by upgrading the power cable from a cheap Taga to a more expensive AudioQuest Blizzard and moving it from my cheap Taga conditioner to the slightly more expensive AQ Niagara 1200.

I was also rolling Elrog WE and EML XLS and surprisingly I concluded that EML XLS has the most reference (so best in terms of raw SQ) and tightest sound. Of course in the end it's down to preference and synergy with tube choices.
Interesting that you find the EMLs more reference than the Elrog. I’ve heard neither, but Elrogs are often described as sold-state sounding, which I take to mean tight and reference sounding. Would you mind putting down some notes between the two? Do you find the EMLs to be more SS sounding, more detailed and tight, or maybe more extended, or…? Your previous posts have definitely put EML on my radar.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #5,860 of 6,317
Eh, you’re in a much better position than me to answer your question! I haven’t ascended to the level of amp rolling for my tubes yet. But now you owe us an amp comparison at some point :)

Interesting that you find the EMLs more reference than the Elrog. I’ve heard neither, but Elrogs are often described as sold-state sounding, which I take to mean tight and reference sounding. Would you mind putting down some notes between the two? Do you find the EMLs to be more SS sounding, more detailed and tight, or maybe more extended, or…? Your previous posts have definitely put EML on my radar.
Hi I already did, check my old posts in this thread.

From my current perspective Elrog ER300B is really NOT SS sounding. Its warmish with sweet treble and a bit of midrange bloom.

EML XLS is also not SS sounding, meaning not harsh or analytical at all, but way more reference than Elrog or WE. XLS also has the strongest, tightest and most punchy bass out of the totls I've tried.

I find both WE and Elrog quirky sounding, not in a negative sense, they just have their own presentation. EML XLS is the most normal sounding.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #5,861 of 6,317
Hrm some bad news. It seems the issue where my left channel cuts out with high impedance mode remains with dac and cable swapping. I messaged Zach again. Hopefully thats an easier fix. Hope Zach isnt too annoyed.
That's a bummer bro! However, as others have already mentioned, Zach (ZMF) will take care of you, so it will be nothing but good times eventually.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #5,862 of 6,317

Thanks for the advice!!!
Yes, they will sound different. The HA300MK2 is tube rectified vs. SS rectification in the Envy.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #5,863 of 6,317
Hi I already did, check my old posts in this thread.

From my current perspective Elrog ER300B is really NOT SS sounding. Its warmish with sweet treble and a bit of midrange bloom.

EML XLS is also not SS sounding, meaning not harsh or analytical at all, but way more reference than Elrog or WE. XLS also has the strongest, tightest and most punchy bass out of the totls I've tried.

I find both WE and Elrog quirky sounding, not in a negative sense, they just have their own presentation. EML XLS is the most normal sounding.
Thanks for the info, that’s really helpful. That actually makes the EML sound similar to the Taks I have now - more “normal” sounding than the “quirky” WE, with strong, tight, punchy bass. Maybe I’ll have to do THAT comparison someday.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #5,865 of 6,317
The worst part of owning a 300B amp of any kind, is when you look up the EML XLS price, and you say...............'1K for a matched pair, that's a deal!'
LOL! Playing in the big league, definitely ain't cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back