Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #5,702 of 6,317
Yes, I do prefer the Grey/Copper. The Black Plates are very mid focused and lack extension on both ends. I think the Black Plates are great to blend with other brands or if you are looking for a specific sound. However, the Grey/Copper are definitely worth the hunt, as they are extremely well balanced and extended.
What date are your russian tubes Wes? Ive seen 1975 and 1961. Theres still a bit of a lottery when we state "6c8c" are awesome .. kinda need to know era, factory etc. Will be interesting to see how 1975 svetlana play with Elrog. So one set inbound....

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #5,703 of 6,317
What date are your russian tubes Wes? Ive seen 1975 and 1961. Theres still a bit of a lottery when we state "6c8c" are awesome .. kinda need to know era, factory etc. Will be interesting to see how 1975 svetlana play with Elrog. So one set inbound....
I have some 6C8C from the 50's, 60's and 70's and they all sound the same. So get what you can and rock on. I originally thought the 50's were a tad bit warmer, but it's super hard to hear a difference.

I think they pair better with the WE300B than with the ER300B.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #5,704 of 6,317
I have some 6C8C from the 50's, 60's and 70's and they all sound the same. So get what you can and rock on. I originally thought the 50's were a tad bit warmer, but it's super hard to hear a difference.

I think they pair better with the WE300B than with the ER300B.
Im glad they are similar. It will slow down the chase for others LOL! It will be interesting to see what i make of them with MO's and Susvaras. At least i know they are not crap! :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #5,705 of 6,317
So whats your guys process for breaking in tubes? It seems like if you want to break in one set, it's at the expense of putting more hours on other tubes which have already been burned in. Do you just burn in new tubes for a small subset of time like 10 hrs and then let it happen naturally after that?

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #5,706 of 6,317
So whats your guys process for breaking in tubes? It seems like if you want to break in one set, it's at the expense of putting more hours on other tubes which have already been burned in. Do you just burn in new tubes for a small subset of time like 10 hrs and then let it happen naturally after that?
I pretty much run them as much as possible for the first 30 - 50 hours, and then just let it happen naturally after that. I like to listen during the entire process, as I think it's fun to hear the changes.

There is really no right or wrong way to do it. I never leave the amp unattended while it's on, as you never know with tubes, and I want to be there to shut down the amp immediately if issues arise. I had a tube (ER300B) go out on me recently, and luckily I was right there when it happened or who knows what would have happened. . .

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #5,707 of 6,317
Wow good to know, I definitely would have just let it run overnight otherwise 😅 How did you know the tube went bad and determined you should quickly turn the amp off?

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #5,708 of 6,317
Wow good to know, I definitely would have just let it run overnight otherwise 😅 How did you know the tube went bad and determined you should quickly turn the amp off?
My tube made a loud pop and didn't light up correctly. The plate got red and the sound stopped. If you are going to let it play without listening nonstop, I would have a listen from time to time just to make sure it sounds right.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #5,709 of 6,317
My tube made a loud pop and didn't light up correctly. The plate got red and the sound stopped. If you are going to let it play without listening nonstop, I would have a listen from time to time just to make sure it sounds right.
When my Elrog300b went bad, it started acting odd on one channel (crackling, reduced volume) until it stopped on that channel. Swapping tubes reversed the channel. Mine was a benign fault really ... a red hot plate on any tube could lead to disaster, hence the warnings!

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #5,710 of 6,317
It really is amazing how black the background is between notes with the 6C8C, WE300B, and Japanese Grey/Copper Plate 22DE4. :astonished:

It really makes it seem like you are there.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #5,711 of 6,317
Got the WE300b arriving Saturday, hard to imaging these getting better than stock though. I did also put the Japanese grey 22DE4 in, I didn't notice a significant difference, maaaybe the sound is cleaner and a little lighter on the bass? I want to continue breaking them in though, they only have about 10hrs. After sometime I will try swapping back the OG 22de4 to see if I notice a difference. Also have some Mullards on the way 🤤 I did go all-in on tube changes right away xD

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #5,712 of 6,317
Got the WE300b arriving Saturday, hard to imaging these getting better than stock though. I did also put the Japanese grey 22DE4 in, I didn't notice a significant difference, maaaybe the sound is cleaner and a little lighter on the bass? I want to continue breaking them in though, they only have about 10hrs. After sometime I will try swapping back the OG 22de4 to see if I notice a difference. Also have some Mullards on the way 🤤 I did go all-in on tube changes right away xD
You'll like it :)

IMG_20240314_184608_435.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #5,714 of 6,317
Just have ordered the octet of 6c8c. In the perfect future world I will trade the surplus for some fancy rectifiers)

Just found out I'm getting a nice bonus check this year, so the Takatsuki may be on the horizon for me.
If you get them, I would like to hear what your impression is of their sound.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #5,715 of 6,317
TOTL 300b, even in my limited experience, is a BIG jump. They just make everything sound more coherent and realistic, with the different options being flavour variations of more coherent and realistic.

And, I also thought that the Japanese 22DE4s didn’t make too much difference at first. It was only like a week or two later, when I found myself thinking man, my system sounds GREAT lately. I had to think back to what I had changed, and I blame them :)

Just found out I'm getting a nice bonus check this year, so the Takatsuki may be on the horizon for me.
Yeah! More people need to hear these Taks!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back