Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #5,251 of 6,564
I actually like the black aesthetic. Silver would fit the silver amp better perhaps.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #5,252 of 6,564
I actually like the black aesthetic. Silver would fit the silver amp better perhaps.
Agree. Gold is better anyway)
Both black and silver amps have golden plate with brand name.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #5,253 of 6,564
I agree silver would just stick out too much, and take away from the look. I try to get my adapters to blend into their surroundings, not be the center of attention. I want the tubes to be the center of attention, I have even considered painting the top caps black. . .

I think silver would be too loud for the silver version as well. :wink:

To each their own. . .

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #5,254 of 6,564
Ok, so after a few days of rolling both Psvane WE300B and EML 300B XLS with my drivers I went back to the daddy in my collection so far, ER300B ... loaded them up with quads VR135s

... and damn those Elrogs ... they don't have any shortcoming apart from the tendency to die an abrupt and premature death do they? I mean holy crap, my other tubes are top tier, but this really takes the best of everything and packages it with a very seductive and sweet tonality ... they just sound good, they do all the technicalities while sounding really damn good.

One thing is, that they are not a truthful tube, they have their own sound, but god damn it's a good sound for my ears.

That's all, waiting for WE originals I ordered on new years day ... hope they will appear here some day :xf_rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #5,255 of 6,564
Been doing some driver rolling these past couple of days, just to see how they react to the WE 300B's, and to help me better understand what the WE's are bringing to the table.

For fun, I rolled in the stock Tung Sol 6SN7 first. This was interesting and not absolutely terrible like I thought it would be. The sound is airy and open, and definitely leans bright/thin, and lacks body and bass. There is also, just something off with the tonality and instruments and vocals don't quite sound realistic and have a slight metallic timbre. All in all, it's a decent sound, but nothing special at all. Funny thing is, I didn't listen with these when I first got the amp, as I started straight with my "Holy Grail" NOS tubes, and with what I am hearing now I wasn't missing anything. That was fun just to see where the starting point is for most who buy this amp, but I can assure you folks there is much much better.

1000004329.jpg

Next, I wanted to see how the "White Print" Mullard CV6, stacked up against the stock tubes and also the "Red Print" Mullard CV6/VR135. The "Red" and "White" Print Mullards on on a completely different level. The WP are very well balanced top to bottom, with slamming tight bass, and good air in the mids and treble, with fantastic layering and holographic imaging. The stage is more forward and everything is more present, compared to the stock Tung Sols. There is more weight to the notes, and the tonality and timbre are so right and lifelike with the Mullard's it's insane. The stock Tung Sols are like appreciating the music from afar of which sounds like it's coming from a decent recording and the Mullard's on the other hand, are like being there while it's happening live. I know which one I prefer. :wink:

1000004336.jpg

Last but most definitely not least, is the Mullard CV6/VR135 "Red Print". The "Red Print" takes everything the "White Print" does, and takes it from a 10 to 11. The bass is a bit fuller and more impactful on the RP, the mids are about the same, with both having magical layering and imaging with texture you can feel, but I do hear just a bit more nuance and detail with the RP due to a slightly blacker background. The upper mids and highs is another area where they differ a bit, and I feel the RP is a bit smoother more refined up top compared to the WP. I never have to turn down the volume with the RP due to the upper mids and highs being a being more refined, but with the WP every now and then, it gets to be a tad bright up top, and I have to turn down the volume to avoid fatigue. The RP are my favorite overall, but the WP are very close and in some instances that extra bite up top is a plus. Honestly, the differences between the WP and RP are quite small, and I could see one being happy with either one.

1000003958.jpg

Just thought that was interesting, and worth sharing for those that are curious about the Mullard CV6/VR135. Overall, the Red Print are the most weighty and dynamic, with the bass being the first thing you notice, followed by those amazingly euphonic and holographic mids, and smooth highs. Compared to the RP, the WP are just a bit more even throughout top to bottom, but lack a bit of weight down low, aren't quite as dynamic, and have just a bit of graininess up top. As for the stock Tung Sols, they are just decent at best, and they don't really do the amp any favors.

Happy rolling, and happy listening!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #5,256 of 6,564
. . .One thing is, that they are not a truthful tube, they have their own sound, but god damn it's a good sound for my ears.
This is true, they do have a flavor, but it's the kind of flavoring that makes everything sound more alive and realistic to my ears. They add a bit of euphony and harmonic richness, that goes a long way to making things sound very lifelike. The "flavoring" is most noticeable at first listen, but once your ears and brain adjust, the sound becomes so natural and right it's nuts. The early Mullard "house sound" truly is magical! :grin:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #5,257 of 6,564
This is true, they do have a flavor, but it's the kind of flavoring that makes everything sound more alive and realistic to my ears. They add a bit of euphony and harmonic richness, that goes a long way to making things sound very lifelike. The "flavoring" is most noticeable at first listen, but once your ears and brain adjust, the sound becomes so natural and right it's nuts. The early Mullard "house sound" truly is magical! :grin:
I really like pretty much all my CV6 type tubes with the WE as well. Thanks for the detailed review.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #5,258 of 6,564
I really like pretty much all my CV6 type tubes with the WE as well. Thanks for the detailed review.
No prob, and the CV6 really is a special tube. I am so thankful for @jamato8 for bringing the 7193 (CV6) to light for us, with his sharing a while back. I would have never tried this tube otherwise, and now I can't live without it. :grin:

The CV6 definitely has a special synergy with the WE, with layering and holographic staging to die for, and punch and texture you can literally feel.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #5,259 of 6,564
No prob, and the CV6 really is a special tube. I am so thankful for @jamato8 for bringing the 7193 (CV6) to light for us, with his sharing a while back. I would have never tried this tube otherwise, and now I can't live without it. :grin:

The CV6 definitely has a special synergy with the WE, with layering and holographic staging to die for, and punch and texture you can literally feel.
Wes,

Have you ever tried using the WE300B tubes with the following driver tubes - i) KenRad 7193 tubes; ii) Russian 6C8C tubes or iii) Chinese 6C8P tubes?

I own all of those 3 types and they make my WE300B sound very different compared to when I use my Mullard CV6/VR135 tubes.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #5,260 of 6,564
Hey Jeff,

I have not tried any of those tubes yet with my WE300B. I do have the Russian 6C8C, and 6S5S, that I plan to try eventually. I love having totally different but equally capable sounds with the Russian's and the Mullard's.

I think the rectifier is also still playing a big part, and I plan to roll those as well very soon. My quad of Sicte are amazing, but they definitely have their own sound, and I am looking forward to hearing what a quad of Japanese Black Plates, as well as a quad of Japanese Grey/Copper Plates sounds like too.

Cheers,

Wes

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #5,261 of 6,564
Some initial impressions from swapping out the stock 6SN7s and the EH Gold Pins in...

Music can be full of power and energy. The symphonies of Beethoven or Brahms in the hands of an accomplished conductor come to mind. If we skip into the late 20th or the 21st century, some electronic music contains a similar level of power. Don’t get me wrong, I am not comparing contemporary electronic music to these timeless compositions. I am only talking about the power and energy contained.

The new drivers elevated these two aspects – power and energy in the music.

So this is where I am at. Timing is still all over the place, which is to be expected with a new component. Things don’t sound right (yet). My go to sound for this is piano, which is among the most difficult to reproduce in a way faithful to the original. The sound is more forward than I would like, juvenile almost, and that might change with more burn in. I am getting a feel for how driver and power tubes interact. This is an educational interim step, as I doubt burn in will solve some of the issues. There is more potential in the Taks.

ETA: I am thinking through a post to ask for recommendations from all the much more experienced members here. Maybe I can express what I am looking for in a way, that narrows down tube options for quads.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #5,262 of 6,564
I agree silver would just stick out too much, and take away from the look. I try to get my adapters to blend into their surroundings, not be the center of attention. I want the tubes to be the center of attention, I have even considered painting the top caps black. . .

I think silver would be too loud for the silver version as well. :wink:

To each their own. . .
Actually I don’t care at all about appearance. After all, sound quality first. But I do insist that black-coloured wire is the worst choice in terms of heat absorption. Any colour is better than black. More heat — shorter life. Please don’t get me wrong, I know nothing about internal structure of these wires — maybe made of heat-resistant materials and will last for years. But with reflective outer sheath it would last longer.
Wait, I just have thought. These adapters look so ugly, you are only trying to mask it?
Making it invisible like black hole)
No offence, it’s just interesting psychological thing.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #5,264 of 6,564
Jan 14, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #5,265 of 6,564
Rolled in a quad of Japanese 22DE4 Black Plates, and the sound just became even better than it was with the quad of Sicte. :astonished: Got to love tube rolling, and you never know how tubes are going to react with each other. Everything became more cohesive, powerful, and dynamic sounding, with detail coming through more easily. The WE300B'S love the Japanese Black Plates, and the transparency, speed, dynamics and slam, are top notch with this pairing no doubt. The staging changed the most, with the JBP throwing a deeper stage front to back, while the Sicte are wider left to right but lack depth. I preferred the Sicte with the ER300B, but I am really digging the JBP 22DE4 with the WE300B. :grin:

1000004340.jpg

Happy Listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back