Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jan 6, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #5,176 of 6,564
I hear those who don't like the looks of the adapters, as I was one of those people for years. When I finally gave in, it was a total revelation how much better things got. One thing that helps the look, is buying quality looking adapters from @Deyan, instead of the Chinese one's on ebay.

I wasted a ton of money and time on 6SN7's, and I have had all the best and rarest money can buy. None of them can hold a candle next to any 6J5, 6C5, or CV6/VR135.

Fellas, do yourself a favor and get you some adapters, I promise it's worth it. They sound substantially better, and really take things to another level.

There is a reason why all the tube guys like myself who have been at this for years and have had every 6SN7 under the sun, are not using them anymore. . .

The look actually grows on you, and as crazy as it looks, the sound improvements are even crazier.

1000003958.jpg

Happy Listening!

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #5,177 of 6,564
I hear those who don't like the looks of the adapters, as I was one of those people for years. When I finally gave in, it was a total revelation how much better things got. One thing that helps the look, is buying quality looking adapters from @Deyan, instead of the Chinese one's on ebay.

I wasted a ton of money and time on 6SN7's, and I have had all the best and rarest money can buy. None of them can hold a candle next to any 6J5, 6C5, or CV6/VR135.

Fellas, do yourself a favor and get you some adapters, I promise it's worth it. They sound substantially better, and really take things to another level.

There is a reason why all the tube guys like myself who have been at this for years and have had every 6SN7 under the sun, are not using them anymore. . .

The look actually grows on you, and as crazy as it looks, the sound improvements are even crazier.

Happy Listening!
Yep. I’m a quad convert as well. Even my former favourite 6SN7/6F8Gs sound dull and less detailed next to the same brand of quads. There’s definitely some sonic benefits to having the 2 triodes in separate glass envelopes.

And especially the Russian quads are WAY cheaper than what Melz 1578 are going for, while being as good or better.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #5,178 of 6,564

1000003958.jpg

Happy Listening!
You are a convincing man, Wes! 😊

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #5,179 of 6,564
You are a convincing man, Wes! 😊
The other thing to bear in mind is that the quad CV6 are a steal pricewise. I was happy ot offer my TUngsol black glass for sale after hearing the Mullard CV6. I now have two sets and would like a third they are that good. Everything else can sell. Im using them with Elrog MO's and susvara's and I am elated - Anyone who thinks tubes are slow and muddy need to hear this!! Its perfection and describes the recording space intimately.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #5,180 of 6,564
The other thing to bear in mind is that the quad CV6 are a steal pricewise. I was happy ot offer my TUngsol black glass for sale after hearing the Mullard CV6. I now have two sets and would like a third they are that good. Everything else can sell. Im using them with Elrog MO's and susvara's and I am elated - Anyone who thinks tubes are slow and muddy need to hear this!! Its perfection and describes the recording space intimately.
Anyone who thinks tubes are slow and muddy never heard a good tube amp 😅 it's a stereotype being peddled by the so called reviewers stuck at Topping as reference ... no offence ofc.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #5,182 of 6,564
Anyone who thinks tubes are slow and muddy never heard a good tube amp 😅 it's a stereotype being peddled by the so called reviewers stuck at Topping as reference ... no offence ofc.
A listen, short or long, via Linear Tube Audio MZ3 will shatter that stereotype! ☑️

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #5,183 of 6,564
The stage has opened up with the WE's, and honestly I don't know how they do it! There is a legitimate soundstage, with sound coming from everywhere/all around my head and way outside the cups. :astonished:

More to come, but for now I am floating with the music. . .

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #5,184 of 6,564
Another thing that is truly amazing and flat out magical with the WE's, is how everything in the mix is heard equally and has it's own space. I have never heard so much detail, and all at once. There is so much detail present, but it never sounds forced or harsh whatsoever, thanks to the massively holographic staging, layering and separation with pin point fully fleshed out images that float all around my head and decay extremely naturally. There is also so much speed and dynamics, that nothing gets lost in the mix or sounds too diffused despite having the enormously open staging. It's flat out magical, hearing all the little details and nuances, like guitar picks sliding on strings, acoustic guitar strings vibrating/buzzing and singers smacking their lips. It sounds as if you were right there, more than ever now. :astonished:

Another thing really jumping out at me, is the bass. The bass with the WE's is incredible and I have actually had to turn down the volume a few times due to just too much grip and slam, as I thought I might blow the drivers or my ears. By the way, I am a basshead who listens loud and proud, and I usually have to turn up the volume to get the dynamics where I like them, but even low listening levels with the WE's has grip, punch and slam. The bass is not boomy at all by they way, and is super tight, detailed, and textured. This is the best bass I have ever heard.

Grip, punch, slam, snap, speed, texture, good note weight, detail, transparency, harmonically rich, euphonic, organic, alive, realistic, lifelike, holographic, open, and flat out magical. . . are words that come to mind when trying to describe the sound of the WE's.

I can't find a single fault with the sound of the WE's, and what an amazing accomplishment to have a new production tube that sounds this good. Maybe it's the Graphene. . .?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #5,185 of 6,564
While everyone of us is experiencing the sublime joy dreaming about tubes not anymore available worldwide, may I humbly ask if anyone tried Linlai Elite 6SN7 and Psvane Acme 300b? I listen to this combo last few months and I like it.
How would you rank these tubes?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #5,186 of 6,564
Another thing that is truly amazing and flat out magical with the WE's, is how everything in the mix is heard equally and has it's own space. I have never heard so much detail, and all at once. There is so much detail present, but it never sounds forced or harsh whatsoever, thanks to the massively holographic staging, layering and separation with pin point fully fleshed out images that float all around my head and decay extremely naturally. There is also so much speed and dynamics, that nothing gets lost in the mix or sounds too diffused despite having the enormously open staging. It's flat out magical, hearing all the little details and nuances, like guitar picks sliding on strings, acoustic guitar strings vibrating/buzzing and singers smacking their lips. It sounds as if you were right there, more than ever now. :astonished:

Another thing really jumping out at me, is the bass. The bass with the WE's is incredible and I have actually had to turn down the volume a few times due to just too much grip and slam, as I thought I might blow the drivers or my ears. By the way, I am a basshead who listens loud and proud, and I usually have to turn up the volume to get the dynamics where I like them, but even low listening levels with the WE's has grip, punch and slam. The bass is not boomy at all by they way, and is super tight, detailed, and textured. This is the best bass I have ever heard.

Grip, punch, slam, snap, speed, texture, good note weight, detail, transparency, harmonically rich, organic, alive, realistic, lifelike, holographic, open, and flat out magical. . . are words that come to mind when trying to describe the sound of the WE's.

I can't find a single fault with the sound of the WE's, and what an amazing accomplishment to have a new production tube that sounds this good. Maybe it's the Graphene. . .?
I have been promoting the WE300B tubes for some time now as a better sounding alternative to the Elrog 300B tubes in the Cayin HA300 amp, and I am delighted to see Wes (who is a leader regarding tube rolling choices) express so many positive opinions regarding the sound quality of the WE300B tubes.

Jeff.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #5,187 of 6,564
@Wes S I want to try the quad solution (@Deyan adapter) with the Taks and hear where that takes the listening experience.

I see you use Mullard Red Print VR135. A look on ebay tells me, this particular model is not easily available. I am fine with a 90% solution, which is easy to obtain and safe. I have access to someone, who can measure the tubes to check whether matching or performance claims hold up.

Your focus when enjoying music appears to be similar to mine. Which other specific models CV6 VR135 Mullards would you recommend getting?

Are you interested in ideas for the digital side of your setup? Maybe I can reciprocate. I gained shareable experience from improving the streaming setup. That is based on my understanding of digital tech as a computer scientist and trying things others found beneficial.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #5,188 of 6,564
@Wes S I want to try the quad solution (@Deyan adapter) with the Taks and hear where that takes the listening experience.

I see you use Mullard Red Print VR135. A look on ebay tells me, this particular model is not easily available. I am fine with a 90% solution, which is easy to obtain and safe. I have access to someone, who can measure the tubes to check whether matching or performance claims hold up.

Your focus when enjoying music appears to be similar to mine. Which other specific models CV6 VR135 Mullards would you recommend getting?

Are you interested in ideas for the digital side of your setup? Maybe I can reciprocate. I gained shareable experience from improving the streaming setup. That is based on my understanding of digital tech as a computer scientist and trying things others found beneficial.
Here are a few listings for the white label Mullard CV6 and VR135 (same exact tube), and I have had great success from both sellers. That's where I would start, and then look at GEC CV6/VR135/CV1135 and Russian 6C8C after that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155545807862

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185950628849

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195905890817

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155687352778

As for my digital side, I am quite happy at the moment with the sound I am getting with my Sonnet Hermes streamer connected via I2S to my Sonnet Morpheus using Roon with my iMac 27". I do plan to make some upgrades/tweaks eventually and good to know you have some experience in that stuff. I appreciate the offer and will hit you up when I decide to start tweaking that side of things.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #5,189 of 6,564
Here are a few listings for the white label Mullard CV6 and VR135 (same exact tube), and I have had great success from both sellers. That's where I would start, and then look at GEC CV6/VR135/CV1135 and Russian 6C8C after that.

As for my digital side, I am quite happy at the moment with the sound I am getting with my Sonnet Hermes streamer connected via I2S to my Sonnet Morpheus using Roon with my iMac 27". I do plan to make some upgrades/tweaks eventually and good to know you have some experience in that stuff. I appreciate the offer and will hit you up when I decide to start tweaking that side of things.
Thanks a million.

Everything at its time. You are settled with the Sonnet gear. Upstream has potential. 😊

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #5,190 of 6,564

I noted that those tubes test very high with a plate current of 14 - 19.5ma.

Is that possible? I have never seen such high plate current readings in many CV6/VR135 tubes that Jamatos8 has tested and he gets values between 7 -10ma.

Jeff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back