Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #5,131 of 6,317
What I wasn't expecting is better resolution out of the Westerns. The Westerns seem to have slightly better texture information than my Elrogs and microdetail is more separated out/perhaps more forward without being distracting. Of all my headphones, I think the VC gets the most out of the switch.
I agree with everything said, and my exact thoughts as I am sitting here listening with my VC's right now. The synergy is unreal, and it's like they are made for each other. This is the best I have ever heard the VC's sound. :grin:

That texture and micro detail is stellar, and really adds to the engagement factor big time.

I am loving what I am hearing and they just keep getting better. There is some serious magic going on, that I don't even have words to describe. . .

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #5,132 of 6,317
The math seems to be simple - the ticker the better, so following the logic it could be a better sounding upgrade. Taking things further - the best sounding should be a peace of good copper wire. But the physics also means it will not burn quick enough if there is a problem. I'd be careful with those fuses from Aliexpress - they might not be safe.
I used to think as you, years ago, then my dad gave me his spare backup silver RCA cable to use instead of my QED reference RCA.

Now this silver RCA cable was a pretty low grade no name cable made by a single guy to accompany the sale of a CD player from a small store, while the QED was a standard made by a known brand copper one, that according to the people who believe cables make no difference, is all you will ever need.

Now I want to say that I used to think as that, that the QED was all I would ever need (I'm not proud of that but we all have something in our past we are ashamed of) my dad had to talk me into it.

So I plug in the silver and the clarity shot up like a few veils had been removed, the extension on the top end massively increased, yes it was brighter with this sparkle in the top end I actually liked. The tone became more neutral and cleaner, it was fuzzy around the edges before in comparison, the bass was smaller but with much more definition and I didn't care, it was more energetic in a way I preferred and even though the music could be called more upfront than before it had a bigger sound stage with vastly more air.

"Hang on" I thought "I shouldn't hear any difference never mind such a complete game changer"

So I looked online on OTHER audio sites besides r/audiophiles and the site that shall remain nameless (blasphemy! I heard the mindless audio science hordes cry out, so I was already damned at this point) and read multiple accounts of how I had described the difference between silver and copper, so I went to my dad and recounted what I had heard and he said the same thing.

That was the start of my enduring love for the sound of silver, to a level that even surprised my dad, his interconnects are silver but his speaker cables are copper while I now have a pure silver 8 wire 18AWG monster for my headphone cable.

Oh and it was also the start of a whole new world of audio for me that has now led to multiple pieces of Schiit gear with a Pentode and now a Triode tube amp but the main thing is that SILVER RULES!!

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #5,133 of 6,317
Like some tubes, that get really great and then fade, my experience is, these don't. They are extremely, extremely transparent and step out of the way of the music and just do their thing. I am using some Chinese 7193 types right now and they are amazingly good. They measure very good and are totally stable. I think they are a Russian clone and may even use some materials from Russia but not sure but they are extremely quiet.
". . .extremely ,extremely transparent" is not a phrase that I often hear associated with the WE's, but that is exactly what I am hearing and how I would describe it too.

The WE 300B is a magical tube.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #5,134 of 6,317
I used to think as you, years ago, then my dad gave me his spare backup silver RCA cable to use instead of my QED reference RCA.

Now this silver RCA cable was a pretty low grade no name cable made by a single guy to accompany the sale of a CD player from a small store, while the QED was a standard made by a known brand copper one, that according to the people who believe cables make no difference, is all you will ever need.

Now I want to say that I used to think as that, that the QED was all I would ever need (I'm not proud of that but we all have something in our past we are ashamed of) my dad had to talk me into it.

So I plug in the silver and the clarity shot up like a few veils had been removed, the extension on the top end massively increased, yes it was brighter with this sparkle in the top end I actually liked. The tone became more neutral and cleaner, it was fuzzy around the edges before in comparison, the bass was smaller but with much more definition and I didn't care, it was more energetic in a way I preferred and even though the music could be called more upfront than before it had a bigger sound stage with vastly more air.

"Hang on" I thought "I shouldn't hear any difference never mind such a complete game changer"

So I looked online on OTHER audio sites besides r/audiophiles and the site that shall remain nameless (blasphemy! I heard the mindless audio science hordes cry out, so I was already damned at this point) and read multiple accounts of how I had described the difference between silver and copper, so I went to my dad and recounted what I had heard and he said the same thing.

That was the start of my enduring love for the sound of silver, to a level that even surprised my dad, his interconnects are silver but his speaker cables are copper while I now have a pure silver 8 wire 18AWG monster for my headphone cable.

Oh and it was also the start of a whole new world of audio for me that has now led to multiple pieces of Schiit gear with a Pentode and now a Triode tube amp but the main thing is that SILVER RULES!!
Silver + Tubes FTW :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #5,135 of 6,317
Like some tubes, that get really great and then fade, my experience is, these don't. They are extremely, extremely transparent and step out of the way of the music and just do their thing. I am using some Chinese 7193 types right now and they are amazingly good. They measure very good and are totally stable. I think they are a Russian clone and may even use some materials from Russia but not sure but they are extremely quiet.
Innaresting… I would have thought Elrogs would be the more transparent, detailed tube based on internet comparisons. This is why my New Year’s resolution is to wean myself off FOMO (a bit, for now). Internet opinions are murky. Except mine, you can trust me :wink:

Also, Chinese 7193? Any chance for a picture please? Is it new production? I can’t find anything on Google.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #5,137 of 6,317
Great reports on the Western Electric 300Bs @Wes S

It has always been my intention to have both a pair of the Elrog, in my case the MO's and a pair of the famous WE 300Bs. I'm still getting my rig dialed in and trying to really get every once of performance out of my cables. So there might be a little switching it up on that front. But I can see a pair of WE 3OOBs in my future here at some point in 2024.

To all my fellow Cayin HA-300B MKII owners and to all Head-Fiers. Wishing you all a happy New Year!!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #5,138 of 6,317
Great reports in the Western Electric 300Bs @Wes S

It has always been my intention to have both a pair of the Elrog, in my case the MO's and a pair of the famous WE 300Bs. I'm still getting my rig dialed in and trying to really get every once of performance out of my cables. So there might be a little switching it up on that front. But I can see a pair of WE 3OOBs in my future here at some point in 2024.

To all my fellow Cayin HA-300B MKII owners and to all Head-Fiers. Wishing you all a happy New Year!!
Happy new year to you too man! And everyone else too! :beerchug:

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #5,139 of 6,317
For those of you who are browsing this thread who are on the fence because of price or just have not pulled the trigger yet, MusicTeck has the MKII at 15% off right now.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...yin-ha-300mk2-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier.

I was doing research on Cayin's tube speaker amps and vendors when I came across the deal. I have never purchased anything from them, but the return policy looks decent enough.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #5,140 of 6,317
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #5,141 of 6,317
Innaresting… I would have thought Elrogs would be the more transparent, detailed tube based on internet comparisons. This is why my New Year’s resolution is to wean myself off FOMO (a bit, for now). Internet opinions are murky.
Crazy right! Like I said, most don't even have a clue, and many of those people even have "TOTL" gear, but that doesn't me crap. I say find your sound and be happy with it. This forum can be a blessing or a curse. You have to read through the lines quite often, and it's best to just find a couple or maybe even a group of people, who's ears you trust and learn and grow/improve with them.

I am in awe of what the WE300B are doing in my amp, and it's just not one or two little things they do better compared to the ER300B. The WE are better in every regard and then some, and it's not really even close and is obvious as heck when listening.

Going to CanJam Dallas in November was a revelation, and basically taught me the only way to get any kind of idea if you will dig a piece of gear, headphone or tubes, is to hear them for yourself.

The forum is great to get ideas on where to start and where you might want to go later down the road, but trying to get an idea of how something actually sounds by reading people's opinions ("reviews") is futile. We all key in on different things, have different preferences and hear differently.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #5,142 of 6,317
Jan 1, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #5,143 of 6,317
One of the things that is surprising me the most with the WE300B, is the bass. The bass hits hard, is super detailed and textured and is some of the best bass I have ever heard in my system. Upright bass sounds so freaking real it's nuts!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #5,144 of 6,317
I found this offer, especially relevant for anyone in EU : https://tienda.lyricaudio.com/producto/western-electric-300b/

Enjoy : )

ps. I ordered a pair for the new year :fingers_crossed: haven't ordered from them before, but they are listed as one of the WE authorised dealers.

Thanks for pointing out the offer. Very tempting... The dealer is from Spain.

Can you please write whether everything worked when you got the WE300B? Or whether there were problems?
Do you already know when the WE300B should arrive?

Thank you very much......

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #5,145 of 6,317
Is there any notable improvements from the original to the Mk2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back