Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Nov 23, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #4,786 of 6,318
Replacing the stock 6sn7 got rid of the noise issue entirely for me.
That's great to hear. I have five different sets arriving, including KenRad, two different NOS Tung-Sol, Raytheon, and Sylvania "Bad Boy."

Hyped to try them all 🔥

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #4,787 of 6,318
Guys I'm a bit lost :) I've ordered tube adapters to accomodate CV6 tubes but I don't understand how to rotate tube sockets to install them :frowning2: Can someone please help me? I tried to google it but didn't find anything reasonable. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #4,788 of 6,318
Guys I'm a bit lost :) I've ordered tube adapters to accomodate CV6 tubes but I don't understand how to rotate tube sockets to install them :frowning2: Can someone please help me? I tried to google it but didn't find anything reasonable. Thanks.
What adapters did you purchase? Can you post an imag?

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #4,791 of 6,318
I got it, I initially thought I have to rotate sockets on the amp and everything that was needed was to loosen 1 screw in the center of the adapter and rotate it then :))
This is correct, a simple and very useful mechanism. I like these adapters as they are smalle enough to offer multiple positions in and around the Elrogs whilst still putting the faraday cage back on.

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #4,792 of 6,318
You guys who uses Pontus II with ha300b, would the rca or xlr be the best choice since the cayin being single ended and not balanced design ?

@JeffMann how do you run the Pontus II ?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #4,794 of 6,318
I’ve tried three different sets of 6SN7 including two types of NOS sylvania. Still makes the noise when I’m using Utopia 2022. Can’t hear it on Meze Empyrean
I have same problem with Utopia 22 but not with the stock tubes but almost every other I've tried. It seems Utopia is especially sensitive, tried also other cables and every possible connector. With Abyss / Susvara no problem at all.

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #4,795 of 6,318
I run Utopia 2020, but manufactured in 2023, on the Cayin HA-300B MKII. I have zero noise using native NOS 6SN7 tubes along with Elrog ER300B-Mo.

I've also invested heavily in a quality power conditioner/distributor and power cables that include filters. I use an none current limited power cable from the wall into my power conditioner, the Shunyata Research Delta XC. It is a combination of silver and copper to keep instantaneous current demands available as needed. I also use the Shunyata Research Venom NR V10 on my DAC. DACs are known to add noise back into the power line and known to add this noise into other related components. For power amps, and the Cayin HA-300B MKII is definitely one, I use a Cardas clear power cord. This also adds power filtering inline and has very large conductors that allow the Cayin to get all the power it needs when it needs it.

The net effect for me. Zero noise, zero hum. And my rig has a real black background. The music really comes out of nowhere and starts and stops like lightning.

Plus, is also I'm fully protected from energy spikes, man-made or natural.

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #4,796 of 6,318
You guys who uses Pontus II with ha300b, would the rca or xlr be the best choice since the cayin being single ended and not balanced design ?

I use the RCA output to avoid having the signal go through the Cayin HA300's input transformer, which converts a balanced signal to a single-ended signal.

Jeff.

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #4,797 of 6,318

Definitely suggest you try both and see which one sounds the best to your headphones, music library and preferences. Some will state the RCAs are better because it's a single ended design avoiding the additional processing of the XLRs.

Personally though, I have developed a strong preference for the XLRs preferring that most of the time though the RCAs are a nice break occasionally depending on the type of music being played.

Also, there's a great section in Cayin's HA300 MK2 video when their chief engineer describes both the technical differences of their single ended versus balanced design and his own personal preferences. He believes the single ended sounds softer, sweeter more mellow and prefers it when listiening to vocals, especially female singers. On the other hand, he believes the balance sounds more dynamic and analytical, which he prefers with classical musical.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #4,798 of 6,318
I’ve tried three different sets of 6SN7 including two types of NOS sylvania. Still makes the noise when I’m using Utopia 2022. Can’t hear it on Meze Empyrean
Sorry to hear that. The Utopias are much more sensitive than the headphones I listen to these days so unfortunately it will take more work to completely eliminate the noise in your listening environment. Lots of suggestions in this thread to try out and work through. Have you noticed any differences when using the 4.4 versus XLRs or SE?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #4,799 of 6,318
I originally had the Gustard R26 and loved but mine was noisy on switching sources which doesnt fare well with Susvara in my bitter experience. I now have the Holo May and i'd say they are similar! Maybe too similar.... im tempted to step back to Gustard R26 and reappraise it. Do you find yours noisy on start stopping the music on USB or Network (im sure mine used to click whilst stopping starting from network source) ... There is nothing wrong witht he Holo, i love it to bits, but i think they are maybe too similar. Coming away from the Moon 390, the Holo is lighter in bass, but makes up for it in the ability to hear EVERY INSTRUMENT and follow with ease. The Moon was a touch brighter.
This can happen with MQA I know. My R26 does that only if the PCM NOS is turned on. When you toggle it on and off it makes very little difference in the sound quality to my ears. That should save you from the weird pop DACs and dongles can have. I agree with you that the pop is non-negotiable.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #4,800 of 6,318
@Andykong would you please help with one question, using xlr from a balanced dac like the Pontus II, does the signal convert to rca inside the ha300bmk2? If it makes sense?

I’m wondering if rca or xlr is the best option when going from a balanced dac to single ended like the cayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back