Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 28, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #4,651 of 6,317
The Susvara (which I have owned for 6 years) has a very fast transient attack and great micro-resolution of details, but it sounds too anemic (thin) in terms of tonal weight in the lower midrange and midbass region.

The Meze Elite is more full-bodied in terms of tonal weight. I used to own the original Meze Empyrean, but it had a bloated midbass problem, which was corrected with the Elite version.

Jeff.
What pads do you use with the elite?

There is no brightness - You just had the wrong chain.
Believe me- I went down the rabbithole, really tried to make it work, cables, amps, streamers, switches, powerconditioners, 10k dac etc. The one i did stick with in the end, the moon 430had isn’t bright. Eventually I just got sick of the chase, when I got the elite, I decided to not waste any more time trying to make the susvara warmer with more bass when the elite gave me exactly what I was missing with susvara.

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #4,652 of 6,317

Believe me- I went down the rabbithole, really tried to make it work, cables, amps, streamers, switches, powerconditioners, 10k dac etc. The one i did stick with in the end, the moon 430had isn’t bright. Eventually I just got sick of the chase, when I got the elite, I decided to not waste any more time trying to make the susvara warmer with more bass when the elite gave me exactly what I was missing with susvara.
Yeah its the same with HD800, it will never be a bass cannon, its not supposed to. I went through the same rabbit hole, in the end discovering that TC and Utopia was what I was after. Im tempted by the Elite, loved my time with Empy :)

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #4,653 of 6,317

I now use the new angled earpads, which has further decreased any remaining tendency of the Elite to still have a slightly bloated midbass and it now sounds even more neutral. I also think that the new angled earpads has improved the Elite's soundstaging capability.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #4,654 of 6,317
I ditched the McIntosh 352 and Cayin 300b mk2 took over. Only reason I switched was for 300b magic. Problem I wasn’t sure about the 4 ohm load but manual said it can. It sounds awesome with EML 300bxls and some nos Tungsol 6sn7 drivers not sure which ones. Here’s pics of them listening at time of this not pulling for that reason.
image.jpg
image.jpg

So here’s final.
image.jpg

Sonus faber Nova Olympica 1

The speakers can be flopped left right to fire rear port either to the inside or outward. I have them in as out was too much low end. Sub frequency seems to play lower with growl so good psycho acoustics.
image.jpg

So the McIntosh is hybrid got it because it sounded great at my local shop(not redroom) at a closer range now I’m a few feet further back and swapping to Cayin:

Atmosphere is expansive where the sitting of the room creates an illusion of bigger speakers. The tubes give thicker beat which I enjoy. The warm presentation with sparkle off the EML’s is great. I’ll switch back to Goldlion PX300b for comparison after these EML’s sound better. Eventually listen again to the McIntosh. Also sensitivity is low.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #4,656 of 6,317
I ditched the McIntosh 352 and Cayin 300b mk2 took over. Only reason I switched was for 300b magic. Problem I wasn’t sure about the 4 ohm load but manual said it can. It sounds awesome with EML 300bxls and some nos Tungsol 6sn7 drivers not sure which ones. Here’s pics of them listening at time of this not pulling for that reason. image.jpgimage.jpg

So here’s final.
image.jpg

Sonus faber Nova Olympica 1

The speakers can be flopped left right to fire rear port either to the inside or outward. I have them in as out was too much low end. Sub frequency seems to play lower with growl so good psycho acoustics.image.jpg

So the McIntosh is hybrid got it because it sounded great at my local shop(not redroom) at a closer range now I’m a few feet further back and swapping to Cayin:

Atmosphere is expansive where the sitting of the room creates an illusion of bigger speakers. The tubes give thicker beat which I enjoy. The warm presentation with sparkle off the EML’s is great. I’ll switch back to Goldlion PX300b for comparison after these EML’s sound better. Eventually listen again to the McIntosh. Also sensitivity is low.
Tungsol black glass round plate. One of the better 6SN7 types.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #4,657 of 6,317
@Bonddam how does the envy conpare to the ha300b ? :)

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #4,658 of 6,317
I have some 6S5S in the amp. They are really, really microphonic. I like microphonic tubes but some are very touchy. lol

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #4,659 of 6,317
I have some 6S5S in the amp. They are really, really microphonic. I like microphonic tubes but some are very touchy. lol
I knew it wouldn't be long until you tried some. Bummer about the microphonics, and hopefully they settle down.

Mine are some of the quietest tubes I have tried so far. I still haven't taken mine out, and don't think I ever will at this point. They just do everything right in my system. It's such a blast hearing new things in recordings I've heard thousands of times before.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #4,660 of 6,317
I knew it wouldn't be long until you tried some. Bummer about the microphonics, and hopefully they settle down.

Mine are some of the quietest tubes I have tried so far. I still haven't taken mine out, and don't think I ever will at this point. They just do everything right in my system. It's such a blast hearing new things in recordings I've heard thousands of times before.
Mine are microphnic if I bump the amp or the rack, but are otherwise entirely silent. Phenomenally good tubes, especially for the price.

Oct 30, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #4,661 of 6,317

Quiet tube but microphonic.

I don't care about a microphonic tube unless it continues to ring on, which this one does not. Also a microphonic tube has more life to the sound. Something I found many years ago.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #4,662 of 6,317
Is there a standard test to assess whether a tube is microphonic?

Can one first suspect that a tube may be microphonic because one hears a certain noise when listening to music - what type of noise?

Jeff.

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4,663 of 6,317
Is there a standard test to assess whether a tube is microphonic?

Can one first suspect that a tube may be microphonic because one hears a certain noise when listening to music - what type of noise?

Jeff.
THey ring if you knock the casework ... try flicking the casing of your amp ... really microphonic tubes pick up everything! My Kenrad 7193s were awful, but so long as there were no closeby vibrations, i couldnt tell by simply listening to them. But i expect the susvaras lack of sensitivity hides/masks a lot of pinging.

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #4,664 of 6,317
THey ring if you knock the casework ... try flicking the casing of your amp ... really microphonic tubes pick up everything! My Kenrad 7193s were awful, but so long as there were no closeby vibrations, i couldnt tell by simply listening to them. But i expect the susvaras lack of sensitivity hides/masks a lot of pinging.
I have this exact same problem with the stock 6SN7. Are there tubes out there which mitigate this problem at all?

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #4,665 of 6,317
I have this exact same problem with the stock 6SN7. Are there tubes out there which mitigate this problem at all?
Don't knock on the casework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back