Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Sep 19, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #4,246 of 6,482
I am loving the CV6/VR135 so much, I figured I might as well get some top notch custom adapters to use with them. I should have them soon, and I am looking forward to having a cleaner look and I am sure they are going to perform better than the cheap Chinese ones from Mrs. X.

Check these out! :grin: They should match up nicely with the amp.

20230918_212522.jpg

@Deyan Does some mighty fine work.
To be fair, Mrs. X's adapters are actually pretty high quality given their origin. I normally don't care for Chi-Fi stuff (see: HiFiMan), but they're an excellent value, IMO.

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #4,247 of 6,482
My thoughts exactly. I will be glad to get rid of the PCB and orange wires.
Well they are easy to change out but I would like the closed in base as much nicer to look at. I changed mine out for 22 gauge dead soft silver and teflon tubing, as seen in my images. Not multi strand but solid wire, which IMO is better.

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #4,248 of 6,482
To be fair, Mrs. X's adapters are actually pretty high quality given their origin. I normally don't care for Chi-Fi stuff (see: HiFiMan), but they're an excellent value, IMO.
They are fine quality. It is still nice to have point to point wiring but what I wish they would do is make an enclosure for the adapter.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #4,249 of 6,482
Sure, they work and get the job done, but I don't see anything about them being high quality? The wire seems cheap (thin and cheap jacket material) and they look terrible, but they do work. I always go with Mrs. X when I first try a tube as they are cheap and always available, and then if I like that tube type and plan on using them for an extended period of time, I always get a better high quality (point to point, thicker gauge wire and jacket) adapter like what @Deyan makes.

The both work no doubt, but one is high quality and the other is not.

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #4,250 of 6,482
I am loving the CV6/VR135 so much, I figured I might as well get some top notch custom adapters to use with them. I should have them soon, and I am looking forward to having a cleaner look and I am sure they are going to perform better than the cheap Chinese ones from Mrs. X.

Check these out! :grin: They should match up nicely with the amp.

20230918_212522.jpg

@Deyan Does some mighty fine work.
Um....actually mine are the cheap ones, I've checked and a Mrs.X adapter of the same type comes to about 53.88$ with shipping and VAT

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #4,251 of 6,482
Um....actually mine are the cheap ones, I've checked and a Mrs.X adapter of the same type comes to about 53.88$ with shipping and VAT
Right, I feel you get more for your money going with your adapters.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #4,252 of 6,482
Okay, so I did the GEC CV6 a disservice yesterday. After all the talk about them, I popped in my quad again, and they were not nearly as noisy as I remembered. But there was a static-y noise that prevented me from using my dynamics with them. Then tonight, I've done the very scientific fix of switching the tubes around, and lo and behold they are now DEAD silent. I can only hear any noise on high impedance with my VCs, but it's not audible with music playing, and then only just. What a transformation. So I'm gonna spend tonight seeing if the VCs can tame those highs.

Man, the BASS!
Nice! The GEC CV6 really are something special. I can't get enough of how they just make everything sound right, and they really do get out of the way. Whatever the song calls for they deliver in spades and throw a little of their own magic (harmonic richness and euphonic texture) on top. The bass is killer and has some serious slam when called for, and I love how the staging is huge if the song is recorded that way, or it can be intimate as well depending of the track. It really doesn't get any better and they are fantastic tubes no doubt!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #4,253 of 6,482
Sure, they work and get the job done, but I don't see anything about them being high quality? The wire seems cheap (thin and cheap jacket material) and they look terrible, but they do work. I always go with Mrs. X when I first try a tube as they are cheap and always available, and then if I like that tube type and plan on using them for an extended period of time, I always get a better high quality (point to point, thicker gauge wire and jacket) adapter like what @Deyan makes.

The both work no doubt, but one is high quality and the other is not.
… I’ll say that one is crafted, the other is not.

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #4,254 of 6,482
Help a brother out: I have a chance to pick up a MK1 version of this amp.
I cannot audition it - but will take the chance if I’m not talked out of it by someone in this form :)

My favorite HP is the Verite O. But I have been all over the plate.

I don’t know the exact difference between the mkii and the first version?

Is it foolish to not wait for a used mkii to hit the market?

Also; read about the mk1 being more prone to noise - this true?
Thanks for any advice you might have.

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #4,255 of 6,482
Help a brother out: I have a chance to pick up a MK1 version of this amp.
I cannot audition it - but will take the chance if I’m not talked out of it by someone in this form :)

My favorite HP is the Verite O. But I have been all over the plate.

I don’t know the exact difference between the mkii and the first version?

Is it foolish to not wait for a used mkii to hit the market?

Also; read about the mk1 being more prone to noise - this true?
Thanks for any advice you might have.
The mk1 has different caps, and is more prone to noise. The VO's are super sensitive to tube noise, so be aware of that. There are lots of factors at play on whether noise would be an issue or not, and the mk1 might not be an issue for you. That being said, the mk2 is definitely a safer bet with the VO.

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #4,256 of 6,482
The mk1 has different caps, and is more prone to noise. The VO's are super sensitive to tube noise, so be aware of that. There are lots of factors at play on whether noise would be an issue or not, and the mk1 might not be an issue for you. That being said, the mk2 is definitely a safer bet with the VO.
Thanks - exactly the scenario I was dreading.

I spend much time and effort taming a A&S Mogwai SE - but Duelund Caps, Elrog Rectifier and 6su7gty has made it fairly quiet.

I just can’t get the 300b out my head.

HOWEVER, I take it that transformers are the same in v1 and v2. So, caps and quite possibly e few revisions of the circuitry.

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #4,257 of 6,482
Thanks - exactly the scenario I was dreading.

I spend much time and effort taming a A&S Mogwai SE - but Duelund Caps, Elrog Rectifier and 6su7gty has made it fairly quiet.

I just can’t get the 300b out my head.

HOWEVER, I take it that transformers are the same in v1 and v2. So, caps and quite possibly e few revisions of the circuitry.
MK2 also has a new volume control. For me with Utopia MK2 is dead silent, something I was really hoping for getting it. Also silent tube amps are somewhat a rarity.

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #4,258 of 6,482
The only noise I get from MK2 is with the Atrium in high impedance mode, but it is with stock tubes. I guess upgrading them to better quality tubes will fix it. It is not something annoying, is almost imperceptible, but its there. I had that noise with Euforia AE stock tubes and it was solved by changing the power stock tubes to TS5998.

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #4,259 of 6,482
The only noise I get from MK2 is with the Atrium in high impedance mode, but it is with stock tubes. I guess upgrading them to better quality tubes will fix it. It is not something annoying, is almost imperceptible, but its there. I had that noise with Euforia AE stock tubes and it was solved by changing the power stock tubes to TS5998.
From a ‘technical’ perspective - the medium impedance setting is optimal for the Atrium - is it not?

Sep 20, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,260 of 6,482
Well, according with the specs, high mode is for 251-600 Ohm. It is true in medium is silent, but if that is the correct mode for Atrium, then I really dont know how it works the impedance matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back